Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hunting around boise

goblue is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal goblue
    Thanks

The familyand I are looking to move to Boise maybe this spring from michigan. I have a gps in his third yr of hunting. 90% of his birds I have shot over him are woodcock which he does fairly well with. From what I read chucker and quail are what we might be going after. I was just wondering how is the hunting around boise or how far will I have to drive to find some good hunting ground. Also what dangers are there for myself and my dog like snakes, thorns ect. The reason I ask is because here in michigan all I have to worry about is heat. Thanks Dave

Thanks

Ya, you can hear bobwhites from certain parts of town
    There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.........Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Thanks
    IdahoRon is the man to talk to, but I do know, you'll be within an hour drive max. of some of the best upland hunting you'll ever encounter.
    Weiser, Payette, Caldwell are little towns along the Snake River, all just west of Boise, and its pheasant central, chukars reside all along the river, they call to their brothers and cousins on the hills across the river in Oregon! And that's no joke!
    Hungarian (huns) partridge, sage grouse, quail, waterfowl, ruffed, blue grouse all will be found in real close proximity to Boise!
    Not to mention the big game!
    I envy you, how'd you find work there? Can you get me a job?
    Keep your eyes peeled for cock(birds)
    Keep your shots above your shoulders!

Thanks

big daddy is right. very good hunting around there. i'm only familiar with the territory along the snake but i've hunted pheasant, huns, chukar & valley quail all w/in a few miles. one day got chukar, huns, & valley quail all w/in 1/2 mile radius. a friend lets me hunt the pheasant on his place near weiser but they're all over. i've seen some awesome mule deer bucks in that area as well and until idaho fish & game wiped 'em out my friend's land had a resident elk herd. it was very cool to stop bird hunting long enough to see the elk train pass through. then area couldn't be better far as i'm concerned. spend a little time on the road and head toward the nevada border, in the right place, and there is an excellent population of sage grouse too. i've often thought that if i wanted to live in a good spot for hunting, that'd be it. oh, forgot: ducks and canada geese in winter.
    vic
    redlands, ca.
    When we go hunting, it is not our arrow that kills the moose, however powerful be the bow; it is nature that kills him.
    Big Thunder [Bedagi] (late 19th century)
    Wabanaki Algonquin

huntmuch is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung huntmuch
    Thanks

goblue,
    My mom lives in Meridian, a burb of Boise. She has a covey of Valley Quail that cross her yard each morning to water at a neighbors goldfish pond. They live in a small vacant lot across from her development. All along the Snake there are quail, further back into the Owyhee desert are Chukar and Sage Hen, as well as the areas along the Snake to the west, as mentioned by BDB. To the east, along the Snake are areas like Hagerman that are renowned for waterfowl hunting. I'd hunted as a kid in the Buhl area with my Grandfather for pheasant and he still sees them running across his place from time to time, although he's gotten to old to give chase anymore. Pheasant hunting in general is not what it used to be throughout the southern state. Ag methods and Red Fox are given the blame. However there are some strong holdout populations in some areas, the Weiser area being one. All in all, Boise's tough to beat for a wingshooter. More than enough to keep a guy busy on weekends and anxious through the work week. Hell, I'm anxious to get there all year. I've had to curtail to two trips during the season in the past few years, but I've never been disappointed.
    Randy
    K6ARW

Thanks

Great bird hunting around the whole eastern side of the state, Chukar, Hun's, Quail, Grouse and some Pheasant too. If you like short road trips you'd have great hunting also in Washington, Oregon, Nevada.

There are snakes in the area mostly Timber rattlers (I think). We killed somewhere around 7 or 8 on the opener (over a week with 10 guys) most of the snakes were trying to get out of our way they weren't very agressive at all.

If I was ready to retire and was thinking about a move to Eastern Idaho I'd do it. I love the desert and I love to hunt upland birds so that state would be a piece of heaven for me.

Larry
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting !!!
    " ...HOLY SHIT....WHAT A RIDE...!!!!!! " ..........-George Carlin-

Thanks

Echo all that has been said....Idaho does have top-notch hunting.....too cold for me but coming from Michigan it should be ok for you.

There will be snakes. You do have one rattlesnake in Michigan, the Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake. In Idaho you will have the Western Rattlesnake, Crotalus viridis, which is wide ranging but should not be found at elevations much above 7500'. Best advice is to get your dog through Snake Avoidance training and reinforce before each hunt season. Take a first-aid kit into the field. Consider the new snake vaccine for your dog......I say consider, ask your vet. I do not use the vaccine for my dogs but that's because it's just too new and all vaccines come at a risk.....and the two snakes we deal with, the Sidewinder and Mojave Green, it is not necessary.....a dog in good health should survive a Sidewinder bite and nothing short of a miracle will save it from a bite from the Mojave Green as it's venom is a neurotoxin similar to a Coral Snake.
    "We will not waiver, we will not tire, we will not falter and we will not fail; Peace and Freedom will prevail" George W Bush 2001

Idaho Ron is offline Member Moving Up In The World Idaho Ron
    Thanks

Not much I can add to the answers. The Boise area is a great area for a bird hunter. You can find pheasant, and quail. If I were you I would look at chukar. A lot of the hunting for chukar is on public land. Your dog should do fine with them. Look at the area around lucky peak dam, and weiser. As was said before Owhyee county has good hunting. The snake river area around brownlee is awsome for chukar. Blue grouse, and ruffed grouse are hardly even hunted here. The area around Councel has AWSOME grouse, and chukar hunting, but good areas can be found closer. Good luck with your move to the Gem state. Ron

+ Reply to Thread