Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: proper brace height

redruger is offline No Longer A Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung redruger
    Thanks

What is the proper brace height for a recurve. I just got my Ben Pearson Hunter
    58" recurve. It is 55# at 28". I put a 54" flemish string on it but it looks a bit over strung. What should be the brace height in inches (riser to string) eight inches comes to mind? But that could be my wife talking
    Greg Taylor Im sure you have the answer?

Thanks

The two Pearson Hunters I have are 52" models. The brace height for your bow could be nothing like what I use on these. I'll have to pass on this one and hope someone else has the answer for you.

Guy
    "Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!" - Adrian Eliot Hodgkin

Thanks

Greg, Thats odd mine is 58". Are yours zebra wood risers? Mine is. Are all recurves the same on distance of string to back of riser? I may have twisted this flemish too far the distance is about 8 1/4". I have not shot it yet because I am awaiting the arrival of my arrows. My bow is a Hunter 7090.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know.
    Mike

Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi. - Dean Torges

BlackMax is offline Member Moving Up In The World BlackMax
    Thanks

Redruger, I found this via a Google search at: http://archeryarchives.com/T1972.htm
    (Key words: "Ben Pearson Hunter brace height")

Ben Pearson Hunter, 1972, No. 7329-0, 52 inches

Full working recurve limbs

40 to 55 lbs

Brace height 7 1/2 to 8 1/4 inches

Black pearsonite glass on limbs

Zebrawood in handle

Sight window 4 inches

Hope this helps! BlackMax

LBR is offline Member Moving Up In The World LBR
    Thanks

I'd shoot it, lower the brace a bit, shoot again, until you get a little bit of vibration, then twist it back up a little and go with it. The Pearsons I've had shot well braced between 7.5" and 8.5". Your string should settle in some (if it's a new one) after you shoot it a bit.

Chad

Thanks

Black Max and LBR thanks for the info. I'm still a little confused because my Hunter is 58" (maybe a newer model?) I will try LBR's advice right now it is about 8 1/4" I am waiting for my custom arrows so cannot shoot it yet. It looks like the zebra wood model in the 1972 photo but is stamped 58". Anyone know the year of my bow? I think it may be newer.

+ Reply to Thread