Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Haydel's DR 85

Thanks

Thumbs up

I just received a Haydel DR 85 call and a video and the video said the call was for mallards.

Later in the video they were talking about the MP 90 whistle call and the narrator said something about a hen Pintail sounding like a mallard or it was another duck.

Anyway, what different species of duck sound like a mallard or rather what kinds of ducks can you call other than Mallards with a Haydel DR 85 Mallard Call?

Thanks
    Bill
    "We find a delight in the beauty and happiness of children that makes the heart too big for the body." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Most hens of various species quack. It is a matter of pitch between the various species. Teal, for instance, have a high pitched little squeaky quack. Go out to a closed zone viewing area and listen to all the various calls and try to imitate them.
    M.Q.

CA, TX, WY, MT, CO, UT, AZ, NM, AL, LA, TN, AR, and
    Thanks

Unhappy

Haydels makes a great gadwall call. Very little air presure, primos makes the best teal call. I suggest you g"et mastering the art of duck calling " by primos. primos whistle is good. But ypu can not beat a RNT short barrel. Check out RNT, Primos, Haydel gadwall call. And listen to the ducks where you hunt. Watch what they react to. Duck calling is the hardest calling to learn
    "Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish Thy justice among men and nations. Amen."

Thanks

The DR-85 is a great call. Mouthcallinmatt from this site tured me on to it about a year ago. I was looking for my first call and it works great. It takes some time and tuning to get it sounding right,but when you do watch out, I have had many duck respond to it and the end result is the duck being in your face and folding up . The MP-90 is ok, thats what I learned on but there are better ones out there. MQ made a good point (spend some time listening on a close day or somewhere out in the field and it will make you a much better caller. The DR-85 will always be my go to call. BTW it works great on the SPRIG if you get it tuned right to get that quick raspy quack that the hen's make, and they can't resist.
    Watch-em "ICE".

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    what kinds of ducks can you call other than Mallards with a Haydel DR 85 Mallard Call?[/b]
    IMO mallards are the only bird that will constistantly respond to calling. When most guys say they had sprig/gadwall/wigeon (or whatever) "bombing" into the call, it&#39;s usually an isolated incidence. Sure, I&#39;ve had teal respond to a whistle and the occasional gadwall and wigeon respond early in the year, but mallards are the only birds that will come in consistantly. That&#39;s why there are the hard core mallards hunters; once you figure out how to call it&#39;s the most interactive (and fun) style of duck hunting.

You got an awesome call to get yourself started; hands down the best mallard call for the money! Take the insert out of the barrel and mark the location of the reeds, wedge, and tone board w/ a permanent pen. If you like the way it sounds leave it alone, if not start playing w/ it a little at a time. Just a small change in the position of the wedge or reeds can make a huge difference. Go to a closed zone and listed to birds (best way to learn how to sound is to listen to the birds themselves). It&#39;s the wrong time of year to be learning how to call (don&#39;t respond like they did earlier in the year), but it&#39;ll make you better for next year

Thanks

Bill, Calling is tough and it takes some practice but the more you call,(and watch) the more you will learn. The "mallard" call is the general call. In my opinion, its the bread and butter of all calls. I DO consistantly turn ducks on this type of call. Maybe its just the region i hunt...? I use a Taylor Talker, (awesome calls) I consistantly turn Gadwall, Cinn Teal and GW Teal, Pintail, of course sponnies and some Mallards too. I do know that teal make a higher pitch quack than the mallard call. I can tell you what a Gad sounds like. I know pretty much the sounds of all the ducks i hunt and can tell you what it is before seeing it. But i still get results from the basic mallard call. I am by no means a "Great Caller" but i seem to do ok. I like to keep it simple with using a few simple qwacks. Watching the birds reaction to your calls is key. By their reaction to your calls you will learn what to do, what not to do, and when to do it. It takes alot of observation. Go to a park or a closed zone like was said earlier. WATCH and LISTEN. After you know what its supposed to sound like, you will learn the most using your call over decoys in a hunting situation. Good luck

Ron

Thanks

Originally posted by duck_man@Dec 20 2004, 11:02 PM
    Watching the birds reaction to your calls is key. By their reaction to your calls you will learn what to do, what not to do, and when to do it. It takes alot of observation.
    BINGO! Practice, practice, practice applies to learning how to use the call. Time, time, time, and more time in the field will teach you when and what to call.

When most guys say they had sprig/gadwall/wigeon (or whatever) "bombing" into the call, it&#39;s usually an isolated incidence.[/b]
    Are you kidding? I&#39;ve got to disagree in a big way. Maybe the key word is "bombing" because that&#39;s what those park ducks tend to do when they are interested in an area. Sprig, widgeon, & gads will bomb on occassion too but they need even more finesse when calling IMO because they are more cautious and tend to circle more times looking over the situation before they commit. This makes them more of a challenge IMO but that doesn&#39;t mean they don&#39;t react to calling. That&#39;s just flat out wrong.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks

they are more cautious and tend to circle more times looking over the situation before they commit. This makes them more of a challenge IMO but that doesn&#39;t mean they don&#39;t react to calling. That&#39;s just flat out wrong.[/b]

I didn&#39;t say other ducks don&#39;t respond to calling; occasionally they will. However, in most cases their response(decoying or not) is due to the particular pond you are hunting or decoy placement; NOT CALLING! If the birds seem to react, it&#39;s usually coincidental. Mallards on the other hand will respond consistently to calling, even if no decoys are present.

Thanks

I have to disagree on this one as well. Pintail, Wigeon, Gads and especially the famous Wedgeheads are all very callable birds and have done it on numerous occasions. I do agree that they may want a particular area but they can be called in from a distance, or atleast to come by and check you out.
    Girlfriend and Dog missing!! Please Help.......

REWARD FOR DOG!!!!!

Thanks

Originally posted by Brian Olson@Dec 21 2004, 10:58 AM
    I didn&#39;t say other ducks don&#39;t respond to calling;
    I didn&#39;t say you said that either. I guess we&#39;ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Location is key to all ducks...even mallards. What part of the country you are hunting, and hunting pressure, and time of year will also vary your results from species to species. I don&#39;t think you can say that any species will work to calling "consistantly". If that were the case then you would have no birds pass up your location when you were calling and if you can do that EVERY time you see a mallard then you I bet you have a few things to teach the professionals. Sorry if this sounds harsh but your comments sound pretty arogant when it comes to calling mallards. NOTHING is consitent in waterfowl hunting...that&#39;s what makes it great.

That&#39;s good advice on marking the reed if you plan on messing with it though. It&#39;s amazing how a little change in reed placement can make a big difference.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

code5coupe is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake code5coupe
    Thanks

A) The only sound a DR-85 will make is a mallard hen quack and chatter. Other species will sometimes respond to that mallard hen talk. The pintail whistle can be used to make a mallard drake call with limited success.
    B) Mallards do not "consistently" respond to a mallard call....history indicates that less than 30% of the mallards you call at will end up over your spread. Some days almost every bunch will turn for you...the next day they won&#39;t give you a look if your life depended on it. I wouldn&#39;t call that &#39;consistent&#39;.
    C) Pintail, wigeon, teal, etc. respond (in my experience) to their own calls about as often as mallards respond to mallard calls.
    D) I base this on my California hunting. Results from other areas of the country may vary....
    Larry
    :)
    My guardian angel wears a custom-fitted Simpson driving suit

Thanks

history indicates that less than 30% of the mallards you call at will end up over your spread[/b]
    I&#39;d call 30% pretty damn consistent! I doubt that it&#39;s even close to that high, but then again that depends on where your hunting and how far away the birds are. I&#39;m using the term relative to other species.

your comments sound pretty arogant when it comes to calling mallards[/b]
    I apologize if I sounded exceedingly arrogant, it wasn&#39;t intended to be interpreted in that manner. I&#39;m just stating observations I&#39;ve made in the past.

I guess we&#39;ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.[/b]
    I can live with that

Thanks

I run a haydel&#39;s woodduck call that i&#39;ve modified to a teal call...it sounds identical to a hen teal and I can tell you Brian olson that teal consistantly bomb into this call...over 75% of the time that teal are in a calling range they lock in...
    BLOW YOUR GUN AND SHOOT YOUR CALL!!!!!

Wide open is the only way I roll!

Thanks

NOW,NOW,NOW LET&#39;S SIMMER DOWN BOY&#39;S.
    Watch-em "ICE".

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

Now I have been trying it after watching the video without great results.

In the video they say to say "quack" while blowing and to put the top of your lip over the top of the call and the bottom part of your lip quite a ways in on the bottom of the call and to hold it with your thumb and index finger and hold your hand open like you are holding a tennis ball.

Is this right? It still sounds more like I am tooting on the thing?

Any suggestions or lessons?
    Thanks
    Bill
    "We find a delight in the beauty and happiness of children that makes the heart too big for the body." Ralph Waldo Emerson

CA, TX, WY, MT, CO, UT, AZ, NM, AL, LA, TN, AR, and
    Thanks

my call is bigger than yours
    "Almighty and most merciful Father, we humbly beseech Thee, of Thy great goodness, to restrain these immoderate rains with which we have had to contend. Grant us fair weather for Battle. Graciously hearken to us as soldiers who call Thee that, armed with Thy power, we may advance from victory to victory, and crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemies, and establish Thy justice among men and nations. Amen."

Thanks

JUST LIKE YOUR SIPPING A COKE BOTTLE. PLANT THE TIP OF YOUR TOUNGE ON THE BACKSIDE OF YOUR LOWER SET OF CHOMPERS (DON&#39;T MOVE IT). BLOW AND PINCH OF THE AIR OFF WITH THE TOP OF YOUR TOUNGE TO THE ROOF OF YOUR MOUTH .GOOD LUCK
    Watch-em "ICE".

code5coupe is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake code5coupe
    Thanks

Originally posted by Bill in SD@Dec 21 2004, 01:44 PM
    In the video they say to say "quack" while blowing and to put the top of your lip over the top of the call and the bottom part of your lip quite a ways in on the bottom of the call and to hold it with your thumb and index finger and hold your hand open like you are holding a tennis ball.
    Bill,
    Are you actually saying "quack"? You must speak the word into the call (I use the word "kak") in order to get the rasp out of it.
    Get with someone who can call and he will help you in short order.

Larry
    :)
    My guardian angel wears a custom-fitted Simpson driving suit

+ Reply to Thread