Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free shooting places close to San Fernando Valley?

Plink is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal Plink
    Thanks

I went up to the usual free/legal shooting areas near Frazier Park last Saturday and found them all closed to shooting due to fire hazard.

Hope I can get some suggestions about free/legal plinking areas close to San Fernando Valley. Specific directions, please.

Seems like I just have to keep driving further all the time.

I'm a safe and responsible plinker.

Thanks

Plink,
    I have given up on free shooting areas within 2 hrs. of L.A. I just find it much cheaper(fuel consumption) and more convenient(only 35 mins. from West L.A.) to pay the $14 at Angeles Shooting Ranges at Little Tujunga rd. If I want free target shooting, I usually go a 4 hr. drive. Again, it is just me. All of L.A. county is closed to public target shooting(sad) and Ventura county is the closest with free public target shooting(Los Padres N.F.). Lately, as you have said fire closures have put a crimp to that also in the Frazier Park area. How about getting a hunting license & hunting jackrabbits in the Carrizo Nat. Monument(2.5 hrs. from L.A.) with your favorite gun(no target shooting though). That my dear friend is about as close that you can get to a free public shooting near L.A.(unfortunately). Just my 2 cents worth.
    God Bless. larrysogla

Plink is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal Plink
    Thanks

Thank you for replying larrysogla.

I was hoping there would be a place within a couple hours drive, but I guess that's not the case. It seems open public shooting areas are getting farther and farther from the city. Non concession that is. I have been to the place you suggest but thats a distant second choice for me. May have to give varmint hunting a try. I've been reading the posts on the subject, and it sounds like fun.

+ Reply to Thread