Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Working for Cabela's?

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone on here or if anybody knows someone that works for Cabela's? They are building a new store and distribution center about 10 minutes from me and I was thinking of applying for a job there. I haven't found what wages they pay or what types of benefits they offer so if anyone has any info I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Thanks

Where do you live? I am in that type of business and could probably tell you what the going rate is depending on where you live.

Paul

Thanks

I'm in Wheeling,WV.

Thanks

Do the application. If you get an offer but don't like what's offered there is nothing saying you can't turn it down. If they want you bad enough a counter offer will be given that will be better.

Guy
    "Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!" - Adrian Eliot Hodgkin

Thanks

Like Grey said, you can always turn down an offer if it's not what you like.

Welcome to the board it's nice to see another West Virginian on the board.

Hntrjohn is offline Member Knows The Secret Handshake Hntrjohn
    Thanks

A friend of my brothers used to work for them. He said it was a great bussiness to work for.

gajits is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal gajits
    Thanks

I was curious, also. I live in MA, but would like to retire in the next 5 yrs or so, and move to my hometown in PA. I understand Cabelas is near Harrisburg. Would it be worth working there. I love the outdoors, and grew up hunting in PA. Would be a perfect job for me. I still can hunt and play with guns year round. Thanks.
    oh, any ideas what benefits they offer?

Thanks

earndawg,

Welcome to JHO, glad to see another person that knows how to spell "Dawg" correctly!

I found this article on-line at the Whelling News Register. It doesn't look like they are going to be paying their hourly employees much, it didn't list pay for managerial positions. Those would be negotiable I'm sure.

Ask about their benefit packages:
    Retirement
    Health Insurance
    Profit Sharing
    Stocks
    Employee Discounts (For me, that might be worth a bunch)

Anyway, here's the article I found:

Cabela's Taking Applications
    By CARLEY AMICO

As the company begins hiring for its new Ohio County store, Cabela's is looking for people who bring more than great skills to the job.

Senior Human Resources Manager Chuck Bera said the outdoor supply store wants to hire people who have "a passion for the outdoors."
    A love of hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities is not necessary for every job, he said. But for most of the sales positions and many of the management positions, it is important because it means employees will have an understanding of the products and of customers' needs.

"What we're looking for is people that have knowledge of the products," he said.

People who have used the products Cabela's sells are in a better position to help customers find exactly what they need. Even when it comes to selling clothing and footwear, some understanding of outdoor activities is helpful.

"In some positions it's more appropriate than others," Bera said.

For workers in areas such as the deli or warehouse, "it is not as critical" to be an outdoors enthusiast, he said. But any time a prospective employee is familiar with or just has respect for hunting and fishing, it is helpful.

In staffing the store, Bera said, Cabela's is now recruiting managers and will soon recruit hourly workers. Because some management positions will be filled from within the company, Bera said he is not yet sure exactly what positions will be available and what the pay will be, as salary is largely determined by a person's skills and experience. He said between 20 and 30 managers will probably be hired.

A total of about 500 full-time and part-time hourly wage positions need to be filled. These jobs pay between about $8 and $9 an hour. ( )Health benefits begin about three months after a person's employment begins.

Bera said he is looking for people who have experience in high volume retail, but the most important attribute a potential Cabela's employee can have is strong customer service skills.

"That's what we stand on - that's the basis of our core values," he said.

The only way to apply for a job with Cabela's is through its Web site at www.cabelas.com. The job application pages can be reached by clicking on "about us" and then "careers." Bera said applicants are asked for a resume, a cover letter and information about their outdoors interests.

Applicants must also have an e-mail address so Cabela's can respond to them online. For people who do not have an e-mail address, the site provides a link to Hotmail, which is a free e-mail service where applicants can sign up for an e-mail address.

Bera said Cabela's officials have checked with Ohio Valley libraries to make sure people who do not own computers can use a library computer to apply.

The company does not use applications that are mailed in on paper because there would simply be too many, he said.

During the past year since Cabela's announced plans to open a store and distribution center at Dallas Pike, Bera's office has received numerous telephone calls and applications. However, those were not kept on file, so those applicants are asked to apply through the company's Web site now.

"If they sent in a resume, they will need to apply online - that's our only method," Bera said.

Since the company posted the management positions on its Web site last month, about 400 people have submitted applications, he said.

Hourly positions will be advertised within the next couple weeks. Interest is expected to be even greater for these openings.

"I would anticipate at least a couple thousand people applying for our hourly positions," Bera said.

The next step is for Cabela's human resources department to review the online applications. For the management positions, a team of interviewers tentatively plans to schedule interviews the week of April 12.

For the hourly positions, selected candidates will be invited to interview sessions between May 8 and 15.

"Once we determine who we want to interview, we`ll send an e-mail inviting them to interview," he said. "After we're done with that process, we'll be making job offers."

In late June, the company plans to hold several three-day orientation sessions for hourly employees. They will then begin working, stocking the store and making preparations until the August opening.

Management employees will be asked to report to the site in May, he said, where they will begin training and work in "job trailers," as the retail building will not be complete then.

A separate process is planned for staffing the Cabela's distribution center at the Dallas Pike site.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm planning to apply and see what they have to offer, can't hurt. I make a decent wage now for the area but my company keeps reducing our benefits not to mention the lay-offs. I'm getting tired of it and I think I'd take a reduction in pay for a little more stability.

Thanks

In Hamburg,Pa they pay around $10/hr but you got to love working weekends and be in a lottery for days off in hunting/fishing season. And if you win it's only a 1 day off deal.
    Alot of guys around here got hired, now about a year later they are sick of the low pay and or working weekends and have left. It seems like the newer replacements are getting younger all the time. It's getting like going to a Home Depot or Lowes, the original guys knew their stuff but the 18 yr olds now taking the replacement jobs don't know much.

Thanks

PA Ridge Runner >> I had a friend that worked for Bass Pro Shops in Concord Mills , NC that described a similar scenerio. Hired Older experienced workers and paid pretty decent when they first started out then once the place got going they started hiring younger folks with less experience/knowledge and it went kinda down hill.

I don't know all the facts but I just found it interesting that there were similarities with the same type stores in two different area's.

Oh well.....

Earndawg >> Good Luck with Cabela's. There was someone posting on this board last year that worked for Cabela's, Sorry I cannot remember his name. I think he worked in Nebraska.....

+ Reply to Thread