Sierra Outdoor Supply

View Poll Results: Do you (or have you ever) use/d a heater in your tree stand?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. I have never used a heater in my tree stand.

15 75.00%
  • I have, on occasion, used a heater in my tree stand.

5 25.00%
  • I always use a heater in my tree stand.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tree Stand Heaters

Thanks

I started thinking after reading the post about the guy who's tree stand caught on fire from his heater and he died. How many of us use heaters in our tree stands? Now, this would be assuming we are talking about box type stands. I can't imagine using a heater in a climbing or loc-on stand, but some might.

If you use a heater, or have used a heater before, tell us what type you use. (Here's my answer to that question:)

My first use was a coffee can with a roll of toilet paper (minus the cardboard roll) stuffed inside then soaked with a bottle of rubbing alcohol. I was always afraid it would catch my pants leg on fire.

My uncle now uses a single burner propane bottle stove with a clay flower pot turned upside down over it.

I have a Coleman BlackCat catalytic heater that I'd feel pretty comfortable with if I hunted in real cold weather. Maybe it will be colder next year.
    Romans 8:28

savage24 is offline Member Moving Up In The World savage24
    Thanks

Yep, I use the type that screws onto a 1 pound propane bottle. Got it at Wally world, works pretty good. Next year I would like to make a small, steel three-leg table that would straddle the heater and provide a 'burner' to keep my coffee warm!
    Never buy surplus ammo made in a country where you would not drink the water.

Thanks

Yep, this year. First time I have ever had a Tower stand and it got windy and cold down here in Dec. Yeah yeah I know it wasn't anything like up North but if you get down in the 20's down here it is a wet type cold that will get you out of a stand before you want to. I had one of the WW screw-on the bottle type that has the side type burner I used occassionly. It makes a good bit of noise (kind of a blowing noise). Looking to get a Black Cat type next year, they probably are a bit safer.

By the way does the Black Cat with electronic igintion make any noise where you light it? bat

Thanks

I would assume the electric starter is the pietzo (sp?) type that makes a click when depressed. (I make a moaning sigh when I'm depressed.)
    I carry a BIC type butane lighter with me into the field all the time. If you've got one of those they make very little noise. Watch WalMart after the season. I got my Black Cat for $20 and they had the SportCat for $10 on clearance last year.

Thanks

Originally posted by PowDuck@Jan 5 2004, 08:36 AM
    Watch WalMart after the season. I got my Black Cat for $20 and they had the SportCat for $10 on clearance last year.
    Get out of here, man that was a great buy. Those sell for about $80 don't they. I will keep my eye out at Walmarts for one. Guess I could use one of them "long fireplace matches".... hehe never did like to light a gas burner but I don't want the noise of the electrical starter either. Thanks Powduck, bat

Thanks

With the catalytic heaters there is no flame so you can just use a regular cigarette lighter.

If you're still shy about it turn the flame up real high onthe lighter.

+ Reply to Thread