Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheapskate way to making a knife

Thanks

The link below will take you to a website which gives you step-by-step instructions on how to make a knife. Come this February or March I plan on making a knife using these same instructions. I've got a drill press and a saws-all, an outdoor firepit and even if it doesn't come out very good the entire process sounds really cool to me.

Let's here some comments from the guys who have made their own knives before and the guys who one day want to make their own knives (Like me).

For the guys who have made their own knives before....Do you pound out the shape of your knife from a blank and heat source or just cut it out from a blank like the link indicates.

http://hossom.com/tutorial/jonesy/

I hope I am not doing wrong by posting this link here. I found it on another website for traditional archery hunters, I just copied the link...If one of the moderators feels I shouldn't have copied it then please tell me and I will take it down. I am not really sure what is cool and not cool when it comes to copying links and such.
    Mike

Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi. - Dean Torges

Brad is offline Moderator Knows The Secret Handshake Brad
    Thanks

Hey, nice "how to" page. And yeh, it's ok to leave it here.

Thanks

Nice website. But WHERE can I get that 5160 steel?

Thanks,

Buddy
    I hunt *WHITE-Tail* ALL YEAR long!

My Webpage

Thanks

The link with the instructions suggested going to an axle and spring shop. I haven't tried yet but I would start there.
    Mike

Ishi did not become the arrow, I suspect. The arrow became Ishi. - Dean Torges

Thanks

Hey Folks

I noticed a while back some of you were looking for the 5160 steel called out for in this link try http://www.knifemakingsupplies.com/productCat4748.ctlg. I got some from them good price and they have lots of supplies. I am just about done with my first knife. There was a lot of file work but it is alot of fun making your own blade. I will post some pictures as soon as I get the handles on it.

RidgeRunner
    Chec out my pictures at My Webpage

There is a fine line between a Hobby and Mental illness :^)

shortbeard is offline Member Moving Up In The World shortbeard
    Thanks

Can you use an angle grinder in place of some of the filling?

Thanks

Shortbeard

I guess ya could if you could be steady enough to keep the angles right and not take off to much at once. Just like with the files patience is a virtue cause its easier to take a little off at a time than try and put it back on. I will say I was surprised that it did not take as long as I thought it would to file the blade I bought some agressive files like the guide called for and they will cut alot of metal.

RidgeRunner
    Chec out my pictures at My Webpage

There is a fine line between a Hobby and Mental illness :^)

+ Reply to Thread