Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chukar in Lassen County?

Thanks

My brother moved to the Sacramento area and was asking me if I knew anything about chukar in Lassen County. He is trying to lure me up there with this, but knows nothing about....so I said I would ask here. Meanwhile, I will get my software going to see where the heck Lassen County is!

Thanks

John

Thanks

It's just west of Modoc County in northeast CA. I have seen quite a few chukar up there around Marysville. Quail too

Thanks

Marysville? Don't you mean Susanville? in any event there are good numbers of chukar up in lassen Co. and quail, blue grouse also, but they do see there fair share of pressure, especially now that the Prison has expanded. It seems there are a lot more people hunting there than 10 years ago. Last year the chukar numbers were very good. IMO>

Thanks

OK, I found it in my DeLorme...seems like an awful long way for me to go and chase someone else's birds! It would have to be a several day trip to go all tha way. thanks for the responses

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Marysville? Don&#39;t you mean Susanville?[/b]
    Marysville, Susanville - whatever. You&#39;re right and it was late

Sure seems like there&#39;s a lot of prisons in this state now.

it&#39;s not really that bad if you have a few days - probably about a 12-hour drive from where you live. You might be able to shave a couple hours by hunting Winamucca area in Northern Nevada

Thanks

73, tell your bro to get a good map and check out Shaffer,Skedaddle and Snowstorm Mts.Some areas to key on are Spencer basin,Karlo, Balls canyon.
    IMO the prison has had a very negative effect on Lassen County and especially Susanville.It just doesn&#39;t have the same feel as it did before the last big expansions.The retired game warden told me straight up that 90% of his business came from prison guards.
    It's not having the most,
    It's needing the least

Thanks

Hey thanks for the info. I found the areas and it looks like you are hunting right ontop of the prison facility! I will pass the info on to him so he has a starting point. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread