Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does EPOXY conduct electricity?

Autoed is offline Member Moving Up In The World Autoed
    Centerville (somewhere east of Atlanta), Georgia
    Thanks

Anyone ever notice funny characteristics from their PIR's after using epoxy such as Loctite on the circuit board?
    I think the problem will go away after it fully cures 24 hours, but for now it has set up and the LED's do a strange flicker and are erratic at times. It didn't do this after circuit assy., but started after I used epoxy to mount it.
    Thoughts????
    Should I have used hot glue instead?
    Ed
    "Vegetarians are cool- All I eat are vegetarians" (The Nuge)

My Pictures on Webshots

Thanks

Was just reading about this subject in the newsgroup science/electronics/design
    Seems that certain chemical reactions (like the curing of epoxies, etc), can cause assorted interactions with flux residues and/or the metals of component leads.
    The results of the reactions can range from unimportant to total failure of the circuit.

The general idea was to only use products specifically made for electronics assembly - and even then you're not 100% guaranteed!

>>>>>>>>
    Archilochus

Thanks

In most cases it's a bad idea to use any epoxy, hot glue, goop or anything like this with electronics. If you need to use some kind of cable holding nylon strap. Using these other items can really make analog circuits do strange things, and if you ever need to remove them you can actually pull up traces from the board and damage it.

You may be okay though once the epoxy dries. There are some epoxy's used in electronics, but they are made for this purpose.
    -Haymaker

Trail/Video Camera Control Boards: http://www.PixController.com
    Image Browsing Software: http://www.VisualMediaSoftware.com

+ Reply to Thread