Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How good are the powerbelt bullets?

Thanks

Howdy,
    How good are the powerbelt bullets? Do they load with ease? Are they accurate?

Thanks,
    Buddy
    I hunt *WHITE-Tail* ALL YEAR long!

My Webpage

fairchase is offline Member Moving Up In The World fairchase
    Thanks

I can only speak from my own experience about Powerbelts. I have shot the 50 cal 348gr. copper hollow points for three years. I have nothing bad to say about the performance at the range or on game. Yes, very easy to load, just my thumb as a short starter.

I am sure you'll find sombody who dosen't like them for one reason or another, but it's not me.
    These comments don't mean that Powerbelts in this size or any size will work well for you. Every muzzleloader is completly different in regards to what it likes to shoot. Try lots of brands of bullets, and powders in various weights. Experimentation can be alot of fun.
    Dream big.

Thanks

I started out with the power belts in my Knight MK 85 and love them because the load so easy and shoot so well even after a few shots.

They could come down in price a bit. Beacuse of the cost. I shoot round ball, mini-ball and sabotted bullets but I think I am going to hunt with the power belts.

Tracy is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal Tracy
    Thanks

I JUST TOOK MINE TO THE RANGE AND UNLESS I CLEANED AFTER EVERY SHOT THE SABOT (HORNADAYS) I WAS SHOOTING WAS ALL OVER AT 100 YARDS. I THEN SHOT A 3 SHOT GROUP WITH NO CLEANING IN BETWEEN WITH THE POWEBELT AND GROUPED AT ABOUT 2" AT 100 YARDS. I AM CONVINCED! PLUS WITH SHOOTING A 45 CAL I CAN STILL HAVE THE FULL CALIBUR SIZE OF A 50 CAL. SABOT

BlackTimber is offline Member Moving Up In The World BlackTimber
    Thanks

Are you guys using the full lead bullets or the copper ones?
    I have heard that the all lead ones stay together better but I have no idea. How is the copper fowling if you use the copper ones?
    Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a bowhunter going on his first muzz hunt and don't know much yet.
    How is it that a single match can start a forest fire, yet it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Thanks

I'm using the 348 copper hollow points, for both Deer and Elk. I think people run into problems when they use too light of weight Powerbelt. I wont go any lighter and if it was for mainly for elk i'd use the 405gr.
    As for copper fouling, never noticed.
    Dream big.

Ocmulgee Ogre is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung Ocmulgee Ogre
    Thanks

Thumbs up from me too on the Powerbelts. I use 295 gr. copper ones and have great results on the range, and on wild hogs and deer. I have not noticed any copper fouling.
    Ocmulgee Ogre
    On the Banks of the Ocmulgee River near Abbeville, GA

The Ogre's Home

ruphamt is offline Member Norman New Guy/Gal ruphamt
    Thanks

These powerbelts are they sabotted? If they are they won't leave copper in the barrel just plastic.

Thanks

No their not sabots, but they do have a gas check that is like a plastic snap- on base. The slug never touches the barrel because it's undersized a little.

I can only speak for my own experience and that's rather limited, but plastic build up has never been an isssue. I am assuming this because I can fire many rounds and with just a spit patch between shots and my accuracy dosen't seem drop off like I have noticed after 6-8 shots with some sabots.
    Dream big.

Thanks

From my own experience, I think the Powerbelts are great performers both in the field and at the range! I use the 295gr and they are as accurate as I could ever expect out of a muzzleloader. I shoot 1-2" groups at 100 yards and they certainly do some damage to deer leaving a great bloodtrail, if they don't drop on the spot. A buddy of mine uses the 348gr Powerbelts and they work the same for him. Sure makes it nice as easy as they are to load too!

Thanks

My buddy and I use the 348 gr Powerbelts in our Knight rifles, and they shoot great. His nephew uses the 295 gr. My buddy shot a 5x5 bull elk in New Mexico last year at about 45 yards and got complete penetration of the chest and one shoulder. The bull ran 40-50 yards and dropped.

Thanks

Here you go, ruphamt.

Powerbeltbullets.com

I've not used them yet. I'd like to shoot lighter than 295gr bullet. May not be practical though.
    Romans 8:28

Thanks

I've got the 245 Powerbelts down to a 4" group in my 50 cal Omega. The bullets aren't the ones that aren't getting the accuracy, I know it's me, I'm new to muzzleloading. I hope to pull the pattern together in the next few weeks, but I can see they're good shooters.

Thanks

Well, I think I'm sold on em. Have only shot my Omega 3 times, still breaking in the stainless barrel, and here's a group I got at 50 yds just before I clicked in the elevation and went to 100 yds. I ain't showin the 100 yarder yet, maybe next trip to the range. Anywho, they seemed to work pretty darn good for a rookie with a muzzleloader. They load really easy too. These holes were made from 245 gr. powerbelt aerotips with 100 gr. 777 ffg powder behind em. The 3 shot group spread is 1 1/2" worst case if you ignore the flyer (oh no sir, that's not a bullet hole, I forgot, it's a blem on the target. Yeah, that's it, a target blem, gotta remember that one........)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bow-N-String is offline Member Moving Up In The World Bow-N-String
    Thanks

Hey guy's,
    I'm A newbee here and was reading your posts....My wife bought me the Knight .50 Mag. I couldn't hit the side of a barn at 10 yards....An old gun smith up here told me to switch to triple x powder and the power belt .348 gr.........Let me tell you I can get 2" groups to touching holes at 100 yds. I'm sold on the power belt.

Bow-N-String

Thanks

im also new to muzzleloading , i picked up a t/c hawken , this is proably a stupid question but,can the powerbelts be used in it as well?

Thanks

looked up the website and answered my own question

Thanks

I tried them. I tried several combinations and could never get the sub 1" groups at 100 yds. that I get with PR bullets.

Another downside is that they lack the ballistic coefficient that you get with the PR bullets. They are cheap, and easy to load, but I prefer the performance of the PR's.

I realize I'm the minority in this discussion, but I had a buddy that had to loose out on an entire hunting trip because the Powerbelts wouldn't seal correctly in his Knight when the weather was extreemely cold. I bagged a nice 10 point with the PR sabots.........
    "There is value in any experience that exercises those ethical restraints collectively called sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Ok, I finally broke-out and tried them! I do not regret it! I put a new scope and a 209 conversion-kit on my b/p and tried the powerbelt 295gr. hollowpoint coppers. I sighted my gun in, in 6-8 shots from 1 1/2 feet high and to the right. Those load about 25% better than my Hornady's. I will continue to use them. They are great on target, can't wait for a deer to get in the way.

Thanks,

Buddy
    I hunt *WHITE-Tail* ALL YEAR long!

My Webpage

Thanks

I am new to Muzzleloading as well, but my first trip out was not so bad. I was shooting the 245 gr. aerotip, with 90 gr powder. This being my first rifle of any kind I did not think I did to bad. With a little more practice maybe I'll be as good as Freedivr2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

For those that aren't getting the group size you want with Powerbelts, a broad generalization is go heavier. The 348 and 405 gr. Powerbelts have grouped tighter than the 245 / 295 gr. in most all of the last 15 test rifles.

Where I've had poor luck in the last two Knights (that measured .502" or so land to land) with the 295s, they both sprung to life with the 348s and 405s.

The tighter bored Thompson Omega / Encores both did well with the 295, but better yet with the 348 grainers. Powerbelt's own tests show the best accuracy with their 405 / 444 FN bullets, yet the lighter bullets are better sellers. Heavier bullets have larger bearing surfaces, better B.C.'s, and more energy on target.

The 405 grain, with a mild, two pellet (100 gr. Pyrodex) load, still gives you this:

.50 cal 405 gr Copper Clad AeroTip BC=.257 100 grains
    Distance (yards) Muzzle 25 50 75 100 125 150 175 200 225 250
    Velocity (fps) 1385 1333 1285 1241 1200 1164 1131 1103 1077 1053 1031
    Kinetic Engery (ft lb) 1725 1598 1485 1385 1295 1219 1151 1094 1043 997 956
    Trajectory -1.5 2.09 4.47 5.6 5.31 3.56 0 -4.74 -11.38 -19.98 -30.51

You'll get more velocity with 95 or 100 grains Triple 7 loose powder.

Thanks

Agree with Randy. I'm new to this. I started out shooting the .348 Powerbelts. I worked up from 80 to 90 grains of 777, and started shooting (I swear) 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards.

My questions is: Should I stay at 90 or continue up the ladder to 95 and 100?
    Go Get 'em, One Track

Gimedat Camo
    Wilderness Compadre
    Wacuzzy Broadheads

bvhunter is offline Member Moving Up In The World bvhunter
    Thanks

I have a traditions lightning LD .45 and with the powerbilt, Triple7 95gr of powerd I'm shouting a 1 1/2 group at 150 yards. I have tried alot of bullets and powders and nothing come close to the powerbilt. I'm sold on them.

Thanks

My Dad killed a deer with my Black Diamond Stainless .45 XR before I even got to shoot it. He sighted it in with powerbelts dead on at 100 yards. He dropped a six pointer in his tracks at 150 yards. I sold the gun to him and bought an .50 Encore. I topped it with a Leupold scope and it shoots real well with TC Mag Sabots, but I'm gonna test some powerbelts through it real soon. Those TC Sabots are impossible to load the second shot without swabbing the barrel. I also shot some Precision Muzzleloading bullets through my encore. To much kick.
    Good shooting and good shooting.

Otto

My Webpage

My WebShots Albums

Thanks

Originally posted by Otto@Aug 20 2003, 11:10 PM
    I also shot some Precision Muzzleloading bullets through my encore. To much kick.
    What do you mean? A 220 grain Dead Center shoots like a .22 mag with 90 grains of Triple 7.

Thanks

Ditto with what Randy said, with bullet weight and charge being the same, the amount of kick shouldn't vari much. Did you use the correct size sabot for your bore?

I shoot 260 grain Dead Center with 95 grains of 777 FFF.

I first tried the FFFG because the guys at PR bullets told me to, I have tried FFG since, but it's not as consistant.

I have to say I am sold on 777, but I still don't like Powerbelt bullets.

For those of you who haven't done so, go to PR Bullets website and have a look at the performance data....it speaks for itself.
    PR Bullets website here
    "There is value in any experience that exercises those ethical restraints collectively called sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

+ Reply to Thread