Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: plott hound for sale

Thanks

I have to sell a 12 month Plott, where is a good place to post him?

Thanks

dog days, there is a trading post forum. you might want to mention where located, price and a pic as well.
    by the way what is a plott hound??
    paulc

Thanks

Paul,

A Plott hound is a type of hound developed by a man named Von Plott for hunting hogs and bear. They are typically dark brown or brindle in coloration. They are a fairly popular breed and are used for everything from raccoon to mountain lion. They are known for their extreme tenacity on big game.
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Jefferson, 1776

"They that...give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither..." -Franklin, 1759

Houndhunting...America's ORIGINAL pasttime.

Gray Fox is offline Member Moving Up In The World Gray Fox
    Thanks

The Plott Hound of today was in a sense "developed by Von (actually Vaughn on his birth certificate) Plott", but Von was the rebel of the family and fought with John Plott (his brother) and the rest of the Plott family over how the family dogs should be bred. Von and John were sons of Montraville Plott. (There were others named "John" Plott, one of whom who was the first Plott who migrated to what is now Haywood County and settled in what became Plott Valley. This John was the son of Johannes.)

Anyway, Von accused his brother John of keeping too many of the "sorry shorter-eared, leopard spotted (he usually said calico) cur types". Actually John was the one that was breeding the original types. Von was the first Plott to call his dogs "hounds". John accused Von of taking too many trips to the prison farm, which meant that he breeding his Plott bitches to man-trailing Bloodhounds there. That was the truth and Von admitted it. The "Plotts" that got registered in the fifties were mostly Von's type of dog, which were very "houndy". Von was the original man who registered his dogs. John (Von's brother and George (John's son known as Little George) had a much shorter-eared type of dog which were the original type. The Ferguson hounds and the Blevins crosses were also very "houndy" types and did not look like the original Plott family cur-type dogs. Isaiah Kidd also kept and bred the same dogs as John and his son George.

Johannes Plott was the original Plott man in this country after he and his brother migrated here from Germany with 3 brindle and 2 buckskin dogs. His brother died before they arrived in our country. This is well established record. According to people around at that time and all that can be found written, the Plott dogs were kept intact for several generations based on those original 5 dogs.

Mont Plott is said to be the first to cross Plotts with the leopard-spotted bear dogs. This may be true, but his son John and grandson George (Little George) probably made several crosses on the leopard type dogs. They and Isaiah Kidd had as many leopard-spotted (merle) dogs as black/brindle and brindle dogs.

I grew up with dogs that came from John Plott, Little George Plott and Isaiah Kidd. The Plotts of today bear little resemblance to the dogs we had when I was a kid.
    "The scenery never changes, unless you are the lead dog."

HoundDawg is offline Member Moving Up In The World HoundDawg
    Thanks

Hey Gray One,

You promised me the first signed copy of your book when you finish it. And I'm still waiting and holding you to that promise buddy!!!

I sure liked your answer better than mine, to the question "What is a Plott?"

Cuz my answer was gonna be, "A plott is the most hard headed trashy dog on the entire planet, with the exception of my blueticks."
    HoundDawg

Thanks

Darn good answer Gray!
    the plott hound is also the north carolina state dog, and you would be surprised how much of the original bloodlines is still hidden in the mountains of n.c. and tn.
    hard to get hold of em though, those guys like to keep alot of that secret!

+ Reply to Thread