Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Arm

Thanks

Default Side Arm

Hello everyone looking to purchase a side arm this year /before 2014 deer season. So my question to you is. What cal. Do you carry or recommend ?

carhex is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung carhex is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

I wanted to carry my ruger Gp 100 357 mag but I could not find lead free ammo. I took my springfield XD .40 cal service.

Thanks

I often carry a little sub-nosed Colt .38 special; but usually not while I am deer hunting. Side arms are for town, long guns/bows are for hunting.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

depends where I'm hunting... sometimes il carry a 380 concealed carry pistol because it is light but in grizzly country its my ruger security six 357
    Well all righty then

Thanks

ruger 44 mag blackhawk

Thanks

my uncle uses a blackhawk nice gun very heavy
    Well all righty then

Thanks

Ruger super redhawk .44 mag red dot scope

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catchdog View Post
    Ruger super redhawk .44 mag red dot scope
    how do u like the red dot.. will it still fit in a holster?
    Well all righty then

Thanks

I wish it had a smaller MOA dot . I think a 2x scope with crosshairs would be better . But the red dot works for me . I am not a very good pistol shot I'm only good for about 40 yards . Yes I have a holster it fits in .

Thanks

I'm thinking about a 357mag or 44 mag. Looking around

Thanks

Glock 22 or S&W 329PD in bear town.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

Look at .41mag as well. If I was on the market for one, that's what I would get. Both Ruger and S&w make one.

Thanks

What do you want this side arm for? Humans? A 9mm or 357 is enough. Cougar? Forget the 9mm and 38 spl. 357 is marginal. OS Bear? 10mm, 41 mag or 44 mag. Hunting? Start with the 10mm and go up.

I used to carry a RSBH (single action) stainless but after seeing a bear coming my way (No tag) I solid it and bought a double action. I wasn't sure if I would have the composure to cock the hammer every time I said "OS" and wanted the gun to go bang. I bought a 6" S&W but it was too large, heavy and difficult to draw. I now carry a S&W 44 Mountain Gun. Light frame, 4" barrel and easy to carry.

If your looking to hunt with the gun I would look for something with a longer barrel (5 5/8 or longer) for the better velocity and longer sight plane. I like the Contender and Encore but there are plenty of good double actions that will fill the bill. I would not consider anything lighter than the 41 Mag. or 10 auto. I don't consider autos for hunting because it doesn't tend to be as accurate for a 50 yard shot.

IMO it's hard to get one pistol for both defense and hunting. A hunting pistol is long, heavy and hard to draw fast in an emergency. Long barrel pistols are a pain to carry all day when you have a rifle in your hand. The short barrel pistols loose velocity, have a short sight plane, and aren't as accurate but will do short shots on game with the right caliber.

Don't consider concealed carry unless you have a permit. Even then when you need the pistol it won't be where you need it. If fecal material hits your osolating air moving devise you want that gun on your hip, not your leg or under your coat. I prefer to have my hunting knife on my shoulder strap where I can grab it in case a cougar grabs me. You'll hear a bear or human but not a cougar until he's grabbing you.

IMHO the best compromise pistol would be a Glock 19 in 10 auto. It's limited to 35 yard shots on game but will do very well for everything else you need.

I'm a conservative, I don't compromise well. I have a hand gun to fit every niche including a Contender in chambered 30-30 Win for hunting. You can't play golf with one club.
    Last edited by freezer; 11-28-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks

Freezer
    Looking for a side arm just in case bear ,cougar anything large out in the mounts. Never know what you'll see . I have a sw40 at home . I don't think that's enough for bear etc etc

carhex is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung carhex is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Now that we can only use lead free ammo. how will that change the effectiveness of the rounds I carry my Xd 40 because I can't find lead free .357 but the rounds are very hollow and low grain.

Thanks

".357 but the rounds are very hollow and low grain"

No they're not! That's just the bullet design your looking at. There are many different bullet designs on the market including 158 gr hard cast lead.

I'm not sure how the law will be interpreted. If this is not a hunting weapon and only self defense then the law lead free law shouldn't apply but you'll have to argue that with the game warden. We have a while before this law goes into effect so there's time to research this question unless your hunting a lead free one.

40 Smith is ballisticly similar to the 357 so I consider it marginal at best. It just doesn't have the penetration power I want for a bear or a big cougar for that matter.

Thanks

you can not posses lead ammo in a lead free zone. The .40 cal lead free i have is very hollow I will post a pic later and it is low gran. That is all I could finf to be able to take my side arm

hector

Thanks

What is available for hand loaders? As with waterfowl there will be steel, titanium and bismuth to fill the gap. It will come but it will not be cheap.

Thanks

this is the ammo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Those are home defense rounds made for humans. They are designed not to over penetrate. Basically they'll hit something and mushroom on impact. This way if you shoot someone or hit the wall the bullet won't keep going and cause collateral damage. I've seen a 45 full metal jacket exit a house, go through a 2x4, plastic roof and keep on going. Good penetration but no mushroom. This bullet would cause little tissue damage. You need to find a bullet with both that is designed for the critter you intend to shoot. Go to you local gun store, not Big 5 or Wallmart and talk to the people there about hunting rounds.

Thanks

This is all they had and have had in lead free=(

Thanks

Ok so I narrowed it down to a 44mag
    I'm looking for one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Revo2811 View Post
    Ok so I narrowed it down to a 44mag
    I'm looking for one
    Nice choice I always wanted one

Thanks

Think double action! RSBH is nice but.... I have a S&W Mountain pistol. It wasn't cheap but well worth the money. I prefer a short barrel,4 inch, so it's easy to draw. Don't discount the 10 auto it has the same energy as the 41 Mag. It's plenty for a black bear or pig. Glock model 19 has this caliber and it's an auto loader.

Thanks

After a bear popped out of the Manzanita on me, I try to always carry a side arm hunting. It is my "just in case" gun. I carry a .40 S&W Cal Sigma with hallow points.
    NRA - Life Member
    NAHC - Life Member

Thanks

My son was attacked by a 450 pound sow. She was stopped 15 feet from him by a 450 Marlin. A six inch 357 mag was his back-up with hot hand load hard cast lead bullets. Not the best caliber but hard cast lead will penatrate without breaking up. The 40 Smith though a manageable recoil man stopper but it doen't inspire me. The 10 auto has better knock down power and will double as a home defense weapon. Plinking ammo isn't as cheap but we're talking about a dedacated OS weapon. For my money (and my butt) a 44 mag or 10 auto.

Thanks

I saw how poorly a .44 magnum performed on a mediocre hog years ago. No thanks. It's not worth the weight IMO. There is just a ridiculous amount of difference between a powerful handgun and even a relatively weak rifle round. Even a .243 would be better than a handgun. BUT! If it makes you feel better then go-ahead-on.
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

410, I'm disappointed in you! You know bullet design effects bullet performance and penatration. Hogs are heavy boned and thick skin not to mention the grissel plate in their shoulders. Use a home defense round in a 44 mag and it won't perform well. Like wise a full metal jack may go through but it won't deliver much energy to the animal. The main two factors in dropping an animal is shot placement and bullet performance. Too many folks say "I have these I'll use them" without ever checking what the rund was desiged to do. At 35 yards I'll take 44 over a 243, more knock down energy. Hand guns have their place. I love my Thompson Contender with a 14 inch 30-30 barrel for deer to 100 yards and the 12 inch 223 for ground squirrel. I'm quite comfortable with my 44 mag on my hip and a rifle in my hand.

Thanks

Well; we're all informed by our own personal experiences. In that case the hog was shot with medium heavy 240 grainers and it should have done the job. The hog was not particularly thick skinned and he shot it SIX TIMES at less than 20 yards. Broke the big leg bone on one of 'em and I had to wade in there with the 7 mag and cap it. I'm sure placement and construction play a role but I've seen poorly constructed rifle bullets do way more damage than that hogleg ever could. I'm certainly not saying you shouldn't and I think my post was pretty clear on that. It's just not for me. I'm also not a fan of the phrase "knock down power". Never seen it. (I've killed a LOT of big animals too).
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

Yeah I would take a 223 with barnes tsx over a 44 mag. Or just a full box of ammo for my 308 I can carry a lot of rifle ammo for the weight of a pistol. Can't beat the massive tissue damage/displacement from the high velocity round. Usually I am too busy hunting to worry about a sidearm. I think it must be a little of the the "operators have sidearms so..." syndrome. If SHTF why switch to an under-powered weapon with less range and ft/lbs of energy?

If you do get the 44 mag look into the barnes bullets XPB. Expansion and penetration. Also take a look at 454 casull :)

If you are worried about bears, bear spray. That is what I carry.
    Last edited by Hikingwithguns; 12-06-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    This is public land, we're not hunting we're hiking with guns.

I promise nothing but blood, sweat, toil and tears...on public land.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast