Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how hard is it to draw a tule bull or cow tag

Thanks

Default how hard is it to draw a tule bull or cow tag

it would be awsome to get a tule elk tag.. this is a once in a lifetime tag correct or do u just need a lot of points and cross your fingers .... is the only place u can hunt them fhl and private property? so many questions thanks everyone and lets hope our government gets their heads out of their butts
    Well all righty then

Thanks

This shows how many applicants and tags were awarded in 2012.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunti...asondates.html

They're tough to get (2 bull tags for 2,543 applicants at Grizzly Island) and I'm guessing if you didn't start putting in for them in 2002 or whenever the preference point system went into place, you may never get one. There's probably so many max point people out there that'll they'll never cycle through them in my life time. :)

I do believe there is public land to hunt them on, such as Grizzly Island Wildlife Area.

Thanks

thanks for the info i kknew it was hard to draw
    Well all righty then

Thanks

Check out page 50 of the 2013 Big Game Hunting booklet.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/digest/

You can see how many tags were given. Then of those tags how many were given to maximum point applicants and how many went to random people (if there's only one tag, it goes random, if there's two, one goes to max preference point and one random, if there's three, two go max preference points and one random...if there's anything more than three, 75% go to maximum point holders and 25% go to random).

Page 50 will also show you how many maximum point applicants there were (it's thousands) and will continue to be thousands for a long time. If I started applying now (37 years old), it's almost gauranteed I'll never be a maximum point holder because there aren't enough tags to cycle through everyone ahead of me. I'd have to get lucky and get one of the 43 random Bull tags (almost 19K applicants which means a .2% success rate).

I haven't researched it yet, but I'm hoping it's easier in other states.

Thanks

Also, there were another 6200 (733 of which are max point people) that just applied for a preference point. Eventually you'd assume they'll start applying for hunts too.

Thanks

I've got max points. Still trying for archery in Owens valley. I know people who've got a tag with 1 point! So you never know. But tule elk are only in California ! No where else!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RVRKNG View Post
    But tule elk are only in California ! No where else!
    Yeah, I forgot he specified Tule Elk. I'm not picky about which type, so I'll probably eventually look to another state.

Thanks

I believe u have a better chance at a cow tag than a bull tag when I was looking at the odds...unless your a trophy hunter and just want that bull tag...as for me as a meat hunter...I prefer an outer state hunt over the counter tag
    Pig is what i do very well...cuz my only question is...how many do u want me to leave???

Thanks

I posted some info a few years back, there are only around 368 elk tags awarded in CA, but there are over 22,000 applicants. You do the math...
    I have been putting in for over 30 years for CA elk tags, long before the point system was ever dreamed up and never been drawn once. Yet, I can go out of state and get drawn every two or three years for a bull tag, and in some states I can walk and buy an OTC tag every year...
    Just my two cents...
    Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

Its a game of chance and luck. Your chances are better with max points but every year lots of people get lucky and draw on the random tag. The random tag for the san luis hunt this year had 2 points. Someone has to get it and I might as well keep trying. I plan to start putting in again next year!! Odds are not in my favor but I am feeling lucky!!

Thanks

I know this is an Elk Thread, but it's damn near as bad for Antelope if you don't have max points. No max points gives you a 58 in over 15K change, or about .375%. At least with Antelope they give out enough tags to cycle through the max points guys. It'll take 14-15 years, but at least it'll happen. Max point guys have over a 9% chance to draw an antelope tag.

We won't even talk about bighorns.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smithstation View Post
    Its a game of chance and luck. Your chances are better with max points but every year lots of people get lucky and draw on the random tag. The random tag for the san luis hunt this year had 2 points. Someone has to get it and I might as well keep trying. I plan to start putting in again next year!! Odds are not in my favor but I am feeling lucky!!
    Yeah, but if you want a bull tag, on average you'll get lucky once every 450 years or so. :)

Thanks

Look at the San Luis hunt. I was told it only had 38 max point applicants, not sure if its true or not but those are odds that I like..... Its a lot of private land and you are limited to a bow on the 900 acres of public ground. I think the tougher the hunt the less people put in for it. Make friends with people in the area now and by the time you draw it they should let you hunt their land. lol I drew that hunt this year with max points, awesome hunt. Saw 30+ bulls every day.

Thanks

wow thanks ill stick to out of state hunts!
    Well all righty then

Thanks

I can't believe this rant is popping up again. People need to take the time to look at the statistics in the Big Game book and get the facts. You do not have to be a max point holder to draw a cow tag under the preference part of the drawing. If you look at the 2012 stats in the book, there were something like 14 different cow hunts that had more preference tags then max point applicants including FHL and La Panza which are Tule elk hunts that jbcaptain says he's interested in. My dad drew one of the La Panza tags and he had several points below max. For the bulls, yes you do have to have max points to draw a tag in the preference portion of the drawing. But again, if you look at the 2012 stats, you'll see that out of about 270 bull tags, about 100 tags or 37% of them were awarded by random drawing where everyone has equal chance regardless of preference points.

Bottom line is this, there are way more hunters in this state who want elk, sheep, and antelope tags than there are animals to hunt. Someone is going to be disappointed no matter what the system. Yes, other states have easy to obtain tags but its because they have more freaking animals, not because their draw system is better. That is why I elk hunt in Colorado while I keep trying to draw a California tag. If you are just convinced no matter what I say that the California system is "hopeless", than don't apply. That will make my odds better.

Thanks

Maybe you're not talking to me, but you seem to be the only one ranting. I don't think anyone in this thread has said the system is necessarily screwed up, but that just like you said, there are way more hunters than tags. Yes, 37% of the tags were awarded randomly, but they were awarded randomly among 19K people. Like I said, on average it'll take 450 years to get a bull tag without max points. Fact

I agree that there were many areas where there were more preference points tags awarded than max point applicants for cows, but that's because most max point applicants aren't going to waste their max points on a cow so most max point applicants don't apply for cows. Also, just because a preference point went to someone with less than max points, it doesn't mean it didn't go to people with 9, 8, or 7 points. Yes the OP was fine with a cow, so his chances in CA are much better than if he only wanted a bull, but I obviously got on a tangent about bulls.

You're defending the system and ripping on us for being upset about our odds in the first paragraph, then telling us you agree with us that the odds suck and that you apply in another state in the second paragraph. Make up your mind.

Also, it's "popping up again" because there are always going to be new hunters who realize they have little to no chance to ever get a tag for an elk, antelope or bighorn in California.

Thanks

I don't have a problem with anyone being upset that their draw odds are low for certain species, what I have a problem with is people exaggerating or misstating facts. The man started the thread asking if he had any chance to get a tule elk tag- he didn't specify bull or cow. Some of the replies he got, as I read them, basically said he has little or no chance, especially if he's not already holding max points. The truth is that if he's willing to go for a cow, he can put in every year and get the tag probably within 10 yrs or so- even if he has zero points now. If he's really set on a bull, then yes his odds right now are very, very low. If he's an older guy (he doesn't give his age) and he has zero points, his odds will probably never get any better over his life. If he's a younger guy and puts in diligently every year, his odds may improve very significantly by the time he's middle aged. I also am chasing a bull tule elk tag, I put in diligently every year, and my odds are already improved to about a one in ten chance. People need to take the time to really study the system and understand their chances and not fixate on the issue of "max points".

Thanks

OK...but I don't think I or anyone else exaggerated or mistated facts. We just discussed how difficult it was to get a "bull", but didn't really touch on the fact that it was somewhat easier to get a cow. I always specified bulls in my replies. There were 68 anterless tags given out '12 and 3,912 applicants. So on average you'll get a tag every 57 years, not 10. You can improve those odds by picking out the areas (hunts) where the odds are better (closer to the one tag in ten years you mentioned) like Big Lagoon, FHL Archery, Independence 1 Muzzle, Klamath, La Panza 1, Lone Pine 1 Archery, Sickiyou, or the first three Whitneys. However, without looking at the harvest records for those hunts, I'm guessing your success % is less in those zones or more people would apply for them.

I linked him to the information on the system and the stats, so he can research them and make up his own mind.

Thanks

Does anyone kow the odds at drawing a fund raising tag?

Thanks

I tried looking it up last night. I think you need access to the drawing results website which I don't have yet.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/ols/

Thanks

I have max points and will hold out for a bull till the day I die,I will only put in for units with more than one tag so I have the max point tag to shoot for.Now for the rest of my family that got in to the game late due to being youths I will put them in for a few years to build up 4 or 5 points and put them in for grizzly island where there is just one tag so they have just as good a chance as any, then we will switch to cow tag.
    I like big racks

Thanks

Or if your of the wealthy persuasson you can bid on Governers tags or purchase land owner tags. Whats Tejon going for.....$30K. RG

Thanks

The thing that gets me is that most non-resident tags in other states cost less than the Cali resident tag. Idaho OTC is $150 for the liscense and $430 for an elk tag that is good for just about any big game animal not just an elk.
    I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.

Thanks

I paid $495 total for my Non-resident Hunting and Elk tag in KY. I think they are raising them next year.
    Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

+ Reply to Thread