Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would possible government shutdown affect hunting?

Thanks

Default How would possible government shutdown affect hunting?

I'm hearing that a possible shutdown would affect national parks but I haven't heard anything about national forests. I read a blog by an owner of a private company who operates some campgrounds in the national forest. Some are located off of sunrise highway here in San Diego (D16 & A22). Just wondering if I was able to make it out in the next day or two if I would be turned away...

Here is the money quote from www.coyoteblog.com
    "So there you have it -- we lay off 800,000 government workers and the only two losses the AP can come up with is that national parks will close and those 800,000 people will have less to spend. Since the NPS employs about 22,000 people, this means that the other 778,000 have a contribution to the economy that consists mainly of drawing and then spending a salary?
    I would love to see the government shutdown rules modified to add National Parks to the critical assets that remain open in a shutdown, since this seems the only thing anyone cares about. Then it would be fascinating to see how the downside of the shutdown would be spun. I can see the headlines now. "AP: Millions of TPS reports go unfiled".
    Update: My company runs parks under concession contract in the National Forest and for other government agencies. In all previous shutdowns, we have remained open, since we pay money into the government budget rather than draw money out, and since the parks we operate employ no government workers. This time, though, we are starting to get notices we have to shut down too. This may be an attempt by the administration to artificially make the shutdown worse than it needs to be. I will update you as I learn more."

BFR is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung BFR will become famous soon enough
    Thanks

Our government, originally designed to SERVE it's citizens has DEvolved into a self serving entity being controlled by a minority of control mongers, aided by mindless fools expecting tax payers to support them.

As to what gets shutdown or not, those decisions are made to create problems for the most people and enable POLITICIANS to step in and "HELP" those hurt most. Just another control ploy to build bigger goverment. The shutdown effects only the lowly CITIZENS and GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES, costing them paychecks and jobs. POLITICIANS DO NOT LOSE THEIR PAY OR PERKS, THEY ARE ONCE AGAIN EXEMPT FROM ANY DETRIMENTAL EFFECTS OF A SHUTDOWN OF GOVERNMENT!

It's way past time for ALL incumbents to be voted out, term limits voted in and the people we elect to be held accountable for their actions. No more exemptions, what is good enough for the populace is good enough for politicians.

Thanks

I can tell you that there will be no Hunting on National Wildlife Refuges.

WoodGrain
    Semper Fi!

You mess with the bull, You get the horns!

Thanks

Does anyone know if the Mojave National Preserve is shut down, no gates to keep people out but does it become illegal to recreate there? Got a d17 tag in my pocket ready for the 12th.

Hopefully it just gets resolved by then.

Thanks

They said NF campground gates will be locked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WoodGrain View Post
    I can tell you that there will be no Hunting on National Wildlife Refuges.

WoodGrain
    Hi Woodgrain they wont lock the NF roads will they ? if they dont work they wont be out locking gates just wondering.

Thanks

Most likely, they will lock all the NF roads because of liability reasons. I know, this morning, I closed down all trails and access to the NWR that I work at. Sorry to tell you this bud, it sucks. Really gonna suck when I don't get my paycheck in a couple of weeks. Oh well, guess I better hunt!

f-em,

WoodGrain
    Semper Fi!

Thanks

I have a A25 tag and looks like that will be only
    good as a fire starter... Although I am not even sure if these new tags burn very well.

Thanks

How about FHL?

Thanks

In the last couple of months, I (as well as a couple of others) have done a ton of work to ensure a quality waterfowl season on a NWR. Looks like all of our work and prep just got flushed down the toilet. I believe all the water is going to be turned off to these areas. For sure this will kill all the food and habitat that is needed to hold waterfowl.

WoodGrain
    Semper Fi!

Thanks

$HIT.

Thanks

They said NF campground gates will be locked
    Where were you able to find this info? I couldn't find anything on old Google. I was planning on going camping with the family and scouting this weekend at Horse Springs or Hanna Flat. I think Horse Springs does not have gates or someone stationed there anyways so do you think it will also be closed?

Thanks

Pretty sure they wont be closing the NF campgrounds at least on the angeles

Thanks

It was on the news national parks and campgrounds, maybe i herd wrong. Tried to call ranger station they dont answer the phone. Did you read what Woodgrain said i believe hes right.
    Last edited by slanttop357; 10-01-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrstQuailHntr View Post
    Where were you able to find this info? I couldn't find anything on old Google. I was planning on going camping with the family and scouting this weekend at Horse Springs or Hanna Flat. I think Horse Springs does not have gates or someone stationed there anyways so do you think it will also be closed?
    Can check on Hanna flats for you, pretty sure Serrano will be open as it is managed by a third party company. But can ask someone up here about Hanna flats if you like.

Thanks

But can ask someone up here about Hanna flats if you like.
    That would be awesome thank you! I checked the reservation website recreation.gov, but of course the website is down due to the cuts.
    Last edited by WrstQuailHntr; 10-01-2013 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baco View Post
    Pretty sure they wont be closing the NF campgrounds at least on the angeles
    Sorry baco thats what forest they mentioned on the news, hope it dont happen but i got a bad feeling there will be a lot of hunters/campers/hikers/bike/fishing very upset.
    Last edited by slanttop357; 10-01-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks

Serrano looks like it is by reservation only, and to make a reservation you need to go to recreation.gov

Thanks

BLM land is being affected also, New Melones is closed down. Fishing/Hunting/boating/camping all shut down.

Thanks

Well I'll tell ya what.. If a gates locked ill hike to pursue my game , I work way to damn hard for shit like this. I'm an ethical person and hunter. As far as I'm concerned I'll still obey the rules and regs and follow just that . But with all honesty I won't stand for a bunch of grumpy bitchy children in office decide my recreational activities and affecting hundreds and thousands of people. So apologies to anyone who might disagree with me but my boots will get dirty this month and I WILL enjoy myself.

So with all sincerity to the people who do this, suck it easy.
    Cut em'

Thanks

The place i want to hunt is just about 5 miles in cant do that, plan B park on a turnout and hike in to a different place, got to do something. Good luck QA.

Thanks

So is cronan ranch now shut down since it blm land I've searched but couldn't find ime guessing so I hope its not as I was going to go tomorrow the field office is shut down so couldn't talk to anyone

Thanks

Cleveland National Forest Closures

Release Date: Oct 1, 2013
    Contact(s): Anabele Cornejo

CALIFORNIA, October 1, 2013 –Due to the lapse in federal government funding, the U.S. Forest Service, as with other federal agencies, is closed with the exception of certain essential services. The Cleveland National Forest offices as well as some recreational areas will be closed until further notice. The following will be closed:
    Trabuco Ranger District
    • Blue Jay Campground
    • California Wildland Firefighter Memorial
    • El Cariso Campground
    • El Cariso South Picnic Area
    • Falcon Campground
    • Wildomar Campground
    • Wildomar Staging Area
    These additional locations will remain open, but will have restrooms and/or water wells closed:
    • San Juan Loop Trailhead
    • Hot Springs Trailhead
    • Tenaja Trailhead

Palomar Ranger District
    • Observatory Campground
    • Fry Creek Campground
    • Crestline Campground
    • Oak Grove Campground
    • Dripping Springs Campground
    • Indian Flats Campground
    • San Luis Rey Picnic Area
    • Inaja Picnic Area
    • San Diego River Gorge Trailhead
    • Kika Mik Overlook
    • Dripping Springs Trailhead

Descanso Ranger District
    • All developed recreation sites will be closed due to furlough.
    • No facilities or recreation amenities will be provided during this time.
    • All of the Corral Canyon OHV area will be closed.
    For general information on Forest Service shutdown procedures, please visit USDA’s website at http://www.usda.gov/.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slanttop357 View Post
    It was on the news national parks and campgrounds, maybe i herd wrong. Tried to call ranger station they dont answer the phone. Did you read what Woodgrain said i believe hes right.
    I work for the forest service so I'm pretty sure about what I said

Thanks

So basicly national Forrest hunters should pack their gear up for the season ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baco View Post
    I work for the forest service so I'm pretty sure about what I said
    I know u cant believe what the news says all the time, we got to wait and see what CG will be closed.

Thanks

I went wood cutting as there was no one else up here to get in my way. All gates still open above fawnskin but that does not mean they won't close later. I am looking forward to some great hiking in D14 come the 12th. Close all the gates you want I still have to pay taxes while they shut down so I will still hike in as far as I want. Just because they still do not work doesn't mean I cannot enjoy what I have already payed for. Think about it who is going to enforce no hunting if they all are off work? or not paid? or don't care?

Thanks

I understand that the campgrounds and amenities are now closed but I would just like to be 100% sure that I can or can't park my vehicle on the side of the road and hike in to National Forest land as long as I return on the same day without camping overnight. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

From what I've heard the cg's on the big bear section of the SBNF will stay open unless they have been closed due to the normal seasonal closure, this is because they are operated by another company and not the FS.

Thanks

Don't give up so fast, just means we are gonna have to work a little harder, hike a little farther and show them that we won't let them take away our privlages. Not to mention we have no idea how long this will last , maybe it will be resolved in time to salvage a season. Does anyone know historically speaking how long the past shutdowns have lasted? Just keep your heads up and hunt, change your methods , spots if you have to but don't give in!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sabershooter View Post
    So basicly national Forrest hunters should pack their gear up for the season ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast