Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booby Traps found in Cleveland National Forest! Shocking!

Thanks

Default Booby Traps found in Cleveland National Forest! Shocking!

Shocking! My son and I found hidden booby traps on a public foot path in the Cleveland National Forest while hunting today.

My son almost got his foot impaled by one. We couldn't leave those things out there for someone else to get hurt. We cleared about 1/4 mile of the path and found several of these improvised booby traps!

Anti-hunting nut or sadistic criminal?

What is wrong with people now days?

Take a closer Look at the booby traps on my video:
    http://youtu.be/s-E1qfE5zbk

IMG_20130922_122012_668.jpgIMG_20130922_122425_348.jpgIMG_20130922_122354_966.jpgIMG_20130922_122341_686.jpgIMG_20130922_122300_897.jpgIMG_20130922_122252_184.jpgIMG_20130922_122053_498.jpgIMG_20130922_122038_037.jpgIMG_20130922_122034_481.jpgIMG_20130922_122433_598.jpg
    "I don't need to be the sharpest tool in the shed if I'm the sledge hammer."
    Former Staff Sergeant, USMC -12yrs
    Field Artillery Cannoneer
    Drill Instructor, MCRD San Diego
    2nd Degree Marine Corps Martial Arts Instructor-Trainer

Thanks

You should report it

Thanks

Probably Dope growers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehide View Post
    You should report it
    +1

Thanks

I tried reporting it. I called the DFG first. Then I was told Sheriff's was not going to handle. Then I was given a number for the Cleveland National Forest, which my phone died while dialing. I just emailed the CNF office to ask who and how to report it.

The foot path is from Eagle Peak Road to a pond. The traps were positioned right at the entrances of the path. Like where the most foot traffic would be. Maybe a trail cam should go up around there, huh?

Thanks

Careful guys....one of my buddy this weekend went up to set his trail cam in a drainage and walked into a grow area....the bastards were still there...I reported that place last yr but the grower had already harvested and gone...this time its fresh...my buddy reported so hopefully the law will bust these guys
    Pig is what i do very well...cuz my only question is...how many do u want me to leave???

Thanks

That sucks. What kind of person would do that?

Thanks

was up with CNF???....reports of stolen cam....anti hunters chasing off game...now booby traps ....u guys got it tough
    Pig is what i do very well...cuz my only question is...how many do u want me to leave???

Thanks

Okay, FYI for reporting things like this, call the main Cleveland National Forest Office. Not the DFG or Sheriff's. They have Law Enforcement that specifically handles crimes in the park. They were quick to respond and investigate. They took the pictures I took and the booby traps that I collected for evidence. They said they were going to check the area for more. They also told me they most definitely want to know if more are found. Good stuff!

Thanks

nice work. I hope they get all of them and find the stupid people also. Good job on helping out.

Thanks

I hope that person gets caught and gets what he/she deserves. Just remember that carma it's a bitch...

Thanks

hopefully some one gets caught planting them.

Thanks

And people wonder why I hunt outta state now. Calif is just crazy crazy crazy.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

def dope growes if there is water ion the area
    Well all righty then

Thanks

Thanks for the Heads-up! Will definetly keep an eye out for things no matter where I'm hunting. If it happened there, it can happen anywhere. Good work!

Thanks

Definitely not dope growers. That pond is about a mile from my house. The department of forestry put up the stupid stump and the fencing to stop people from driving down to the pond because people are dumbasses and start camp fires down there when there are maybe a million signs that say no camp fires. My first speculation is that it is the landowner to the west. If you keep following that road down past the pond you run into a green gate you have to walk around. It is public property but is very close to the cattle farm to the west. The landowner was sick of people driving up to the top of that first hill and crossing his property to make the hike up the mountain easier. Talked to him once and he hates hunters coming up there because some jack ass shot one of his cows 2 seasons ago. I know the landowner had the forestry department put that gate in to keep people from driving up there like I said. There are many easier ways to get into that grid besides that pond.
    people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. TO BE BORN FREE IS A PRIVILEGE, TO LIVE FREE IS A RIGHT, BUT TO DIE FREE IS A RESPONSIBILTY

Thanks

Either way, who ever planted those punji-type booby traps almost got a 17 year-old boy impaled with a rusty nail. Just like a stray bullet has no name, so did those. Actions have consequences. I am going to say, who ever installed those devices probably don't care who they hurt. In my opinion, they are just as bad or worse of who they are "fighting" against. No excuse!

Thanks

I'm sure if you guys spend more time out there you'll see some strange characters that frequent that pond area. Who knows who put it out there.
    people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. TO BE BORN FREE IS A PRIVILEGE, TO LIVE FREE IS A RIGHT, BUT TO DIE FREE IS A RESPONSIBILTY

Thanks

Thank you for posting up, I spend a lot of time out there.

Thanks

Do you guys normally hunt in tactical gear and assault rifles? Just asking?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boaring View Post
    Do you guys normally hunt in tactical gear and assault rifles? Just asking?
    That is the oddest question. What does that have to do with any of this and what makes it "Tactical Gear." If they are wearing it for hunting it's not "Tactical." He is a former Marine so it's obvious he prefers to use gear he has on hand and the digital MARPAT is great camouflage. Sorry for the flame but it just seems like you are trying to drag this in the wrong direction here and it give me the sense that you are flaming him a little. If I'm wrong then you have my apology.

Thanks

Agree with above. You use what you have and what works.

Invictus 42

Thanks

Thanks guys for informing the individual questioning the attire and rifle. BTW, I was squirrel and rabbit hunting with my son. That "assault rifle" was a MP 15-22. Its a .22 caliber rifle. Looks are not always what they seem. But if it was a different caliber, and if it was a legally owned assault rifle, and it was all I had, then so what if I hunted with it? Besides thanks for ignoring the message that some nut almost had a teenage boy as a victim to their boobytraps (sarcastic thumbs up).

Thanks

A ground level cam hidden in rocks and way up high to ID this prick might work. This demands a hunt.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

Anyone finding any booby traps this past weekend? Besides poachers everywhere on Eagle Peak RD? 6 in one day is pretty good for the DFG

Thanks

DFG found 6 booby traps or poachers? Was this recently?

Thanks

"Horse" - I see that you reported having an unpleasant confrontation about a year ago, with a woman whom owns land up off Eagle Peak. She had tried to intimidate you into staying off of the public lands adjacent to her property.

Just curious...were these booby traps anywhere near the place where you had that confrontation last year?

-TG

Thanks

Wow. Glad your boy didn't step on it. Good looking out. Situational awareness people! Stay frosty, and always look at the trail you walk.
    I tell lots of stories, some of which are true.
    ProStaffer, High Altitude Hunters

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ManCalledHorse View Post
    Shocking! My son and I found hidden booby traps on a public foot path in the Cleveland National Forest while hunting today.

My son almost got his foot impaled by one. We couldn't leave those things out there for someone else to get hurt. We cleared about 1/4 mile of the path and found several of these improvised booby traps!

Anti-hunting nut or sadistic criminal?

What is wrong with people now days?

Take a closer Look at the booby traps on my video:
    http://youtu.be/s-E1qfE5zbk
    Thank you ManCalledHorse... Good thing your son's foot didn't get impaled. I threw this topic out on another South Cal Hunting site. Thanks again for taking the time to throw this out there to us.

Thanks

Thank you for reading this post 8steeltown! Stuff like this needs attention for safety reasons. To answer TurkeysGalore, no this was in Palomar District on Eagle Peak. The landowner (great memory BTW!) was in the Descanso District off of Boulder Creek. Aught-Sixguy- always frosty bro... lol!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast