Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yuma Dove Hunting

Thanks

Default Yuma Dove Hunting

Heading to Yuma for the first time this year. My plans are to get down there a day early and scout around including the indian reservations. Any guidance by this group is appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know about the Yuma Indian Reservations, but make sure your paperwork is in order. They lack humor when it comes to being forgetful.
    Gun Control is using Both Hands

It's the right thing to do.............Geesh!!!

Thanks

It's hard to give specific areas because they change so much fields that were huntable
    last year may be posted this year. I haven't hunted yuma indian reservations but
    have hunted quechan on cali side It was $25 the last time I hunted it a long time ago now its 90 or more
    the good thing about the indian res is they tell you exactly where the birds are the bad thing
    about them is they tell everyone where the birds are lol . the hard part is finding that spot away
    from everyone to enjoy but there are birds everywhere. If you don't mind large crowds and I do mean large
    and just want to shoot birds try the orange groves south of yuma on county rd 19 and if you can hit the
    broad side of a barn (and a lot of the people there can't but they are fun to laugh at when you are done)
    you'll be done by 7 and like db said make sure you have everything you will be checked by fish and game
    they are active in yuma I hunt and fish there several times throughout the year and get checked a lot
    I've been checked there more times in the last two years
    then in cali the last 20 but they've always been nice and courteous but they are efficient
    and make sure you read the az regs there are some differences especially how far from buildings
    you can shoot cali 150 yds az 440yds

good luck have fun and please clean up after yourself

Thanks

Yuma is the place to be from all over California. My pops and his buddies have been hunting it for over ten years and about 6 or 7 myself. If you find the right spot youre i9n for a wild experience. Try finding some man made building or structures and stay close to them but at a safe distance. Youll have unlimited Eurasians flying by you as they are a territorial species like sky rats AKA pigeons...Depending on how good of a shot you are you should take about a case per day of hunting...

Thanks

Heading to Yuma for the opener. How are we looking this year.

Arcfish is offline Member Moving Up In The World Arcfish
    Thanks

The Cocopah reservation has always been good. It covers quite a bit of land along the Colorado River with both crop and tree coverage. Don't know what the price will be this year, but it can be worth it.

Thanks

Just talked to a buddy in Yuma. He said the numbers are strong from Yuma all the way up to Cibola. Assuming no storms come through, you should be golden.
    What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Thanks

had a buddy come thru there 2 days ago and said the dove are thick as all get out. He said he seen hundreds of them flying across the road way. Good luck whoever heads down that way.
    AKA "GATOR"
    I rule

Thanks

My info is a couple of weeks old but the dove numbers were as usual on the C.R.I.T. It seems the populations are good in all the traditional areas. If you haven't tried yet YumaDoveHunting.com has some information that might help.
    Gun Control is using Both Hands

It's the right thing to do.............Geesh!!!

Thanks

12 Days and counting. No wife ...no kids (I would take my son but he is only 5). No yard work. Just good times with the fellas. Can't forget my PBR...

Thanks

My freind and I are also headed to Yuma as we have been doing for the last 20+ years. Hopefully the spot we go to will be better than last year it was really slow. We usually don't scout but this years we are going to. Good luck to all.

Thanks

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions. Given all the recent storms and forecasted rain I'm planning to bring my waders too!!

I will try to post scouting info Saturday mid day to help others.

+ Reply to Thread