Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need info for X4

Thanks

Default Need info for X4

I drew and X4 tag and this will be my first mule deer hunt. I've been sucessful hunting Blacktail in the B zone but this will be quite different. I've started looking through the net for maps and will call the NFS and ranger stations Monday. It's never too early to start researching. Is there a good book on hunting Mullies? I'm thinking we'll be hunting high until there's some weather but how high is high? Help an old newbe.

Thanks

Sent you a Pm

Thanks

Boy this post hasn't gotten much response! Has anyone hunted X4? I have compiled 5 topo maps to form the X4 zone. Have contacted DFG, BLM and the Local Ranger station. I'll be driving up tomorrow to talk to some of those folks including a couple game biologists. Any ideas where I can find good numbers of deer and less hunters?

nitis is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung nitis is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

From my experience the biologists are a waste of time. They may be good at whatever they do but the ones I have talked to sound like a broken record. Get up high unless there is weather then they move.

If I were you I think you would be best served just going up there and getting to know your way around the area. Find your access in and out and ten find some places that just look good. Then when you go back in October you will at least know the lay of the land. I know nothing about this area never even been there but that's what I would do if I was going somewhere new. You have to create your own magic.

Thanks

Frezer, I have hunted the zone twice, I wouldn't say that I know the zone well, but I will be happy to tell you what I do know of it, however, my information is 30+ years old; but it's not like the zone has changed much. But, you"ll have to wait a little bit, as I am away from home.

Thanks

I'm taking my time and trying to do as much arm chair research as I can, it eliminates a lot of driving. From what I've read in six books so far (five were good) and heard from a one biologist and a nice guy on this forum, Mulies here have the same habits as they do in other states. Now it's time to put the rubber to the ....gravel. There are hidden springs and brush piles to find. I'll also hunt for elevation with bluffs and benches. I've eliminated a lot of terrain already. This area has been managed for fire control which isn't that good for deer habitat. Food and water are my first priorities. I could still use some help here! Those areas aren't easy to find considering the size of the zone and the distances I have to travel to get there

Thanks

Google Earth and Bing Maps are your best friends.

+ Reply to Thread