Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White Slough Wildlife Area

Thanks

Default White Slough Wildlife Area

Anyone hunted White Slough? I'm looking for a place to take my 5 year old daughter duck hunting and from the areal view of the map it doesn't look like it's too difficult to get down into. Does anyone know how deep the water typically is there? I'm just wondering if it's a shallow pond or if it's deep?

Also, if anyone has any used hunting gear for kids size 5-6, I'm looking for some waterfowl gear for my little girl :)
    pm me,

Thanks.

Thanks

I wanted to let everyone know that I was able to find a company that makes waders for small kids.

http://www.oakiwear.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=124

Hopefully some of you with 5-8 year olds will find this information useful.

bigolbuck is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung bigolbuck
    Thanks

White Slough is a dump! a complete waist of time! VERY RARELY do waterfowl use White Slough. CWA has good Junior hunts. Or try getting a reservation to a refuge with blinds... Thats what I do... or even blind waiting. Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks for the info.. I was actually looking into a membership with Richmond Gun Club inc. I'm not sure if they're accepting new members right now but it looked like they offer a lot of field hunting which would be perfect..

Thanks

I went to White slough over the weekend to check it out. I posted some picture but it's under the "California" section... I guess I should've posted here

Thanks

1USD did you ever look into the Richmond hunting club?

Thanks

Never seen any waterfowl out there even though they have a few ponds. I went out there for dove and did OK. Plenty of rabbits if you get there really early in the morning...but it is not open to hunting until September 1st. What is that about?
    NRA - Life Member
    NAHC - Life Member

Thanks

GWPointer, I looked into it. Seemed like a good deal but I never contacted them. I just got a GSP puppy and then a week later took him fishing with me where he decided to bite a fising hook. The purchase of the dog and the subsequent trip to the ER with him kinda zapped my wallet for now...

gwhunter69, I didn't notice that it was closed to hunting until September 1st.. I'll have to take another look at the DFW page. It looked like it might be a little promising for Dove.. I'm sure I'll down there at least one day of the season to check it out. I went to the Sacramento Bypass several times and got one shot off at a Dove.. Really disappointing.

Thanks

Ya thats all ive done as well, im just kind of curious if it would be worth it. Oh that sucks, I know first hand about the fish hook in pups mouth. It's hard trying to keep pointer puppies out of trouble isn't it!

Thanks

I didn't notice that it was closed to hunting until September 1st
    In years past, it used to say that you could not hunt until September 1st at Whites Slough. When they took that date off of the website (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region3/whiteslough.html), I thought great I can go shoot cottontails on July 1st. BUT something told me that I had better doublecheck it with DFG, so I called the local phone number and asked the representative. I was told the there is no hunting there before September 1st. I have not called this year yet, but if you do let me know. It will save me a phone call.
    NRA - Life Member
    NAHC - Life Member

Thanks

Well.... If they took it off the website and it's not posted... PERSONALLY, I'm not going to call... but I doubt I will go down there just to bust some bunnies when there's tons of them up here in the Sacramento area..

Thanks

GWPointer- yes, it is hard to keep them out of trouble!!

Thanks

See items C and E to answer your questions. Rabbits are not an authorized species to take and it doesn't open til Sept 1st:

White Slough Wildlife Area
    Type C Area 880 acres
    Access: Pond 5 Area is south of Walnut Grove Road; Pond 6 Area is north of Woodbridge road; Ponds 7 and 8 are east of Guard Road; and Ponds 9 through 13 are along the frontage road on the west side of Highway 5. Daily Hunter Capacity: No limit. For information call (707) 944-5500.
    (A) Method of Take Restrictions: No rifles or pistols may be used or possessed.
    (B) Hunt Days: Daily during open seasons for authorized species.
    (C) Authorized Species: Waterfowl, pheasants, quail, and doves.
    (D) Camping and Trailers: Not allowed.
    (E) Special Restrictions: Possession and use of firearms or other propulsive device
    is prohibited in that portion of White Slough Wildlife Area designated as Pond 9. Horses are not allowed on the wildlife area. Hunting is allowed only from September 1 through January 31.
    Duck Fan

CWA Life Member
    Delta Waterfowl Member
    DU Member
    G

Thanks

Duck Fan, I'm not doubting your source but the new regulations haven't been released yet and this is from the DFG web site:

"Directions: 8 miles West of Lodi, about 13 miles north of Stockton. Ponds are located west of and parallel to I-5. Pond 5 is on Walnut Grove Road. Pond 6 is on Woodbridge Road, take the Peltier Road exit to Thornton Road to Woodbridge Road. Ponds 7 & 8 are reached via Hwy 12 west of I-5 to Guard Road to Cotta Road. Ponds 9-13 are south of Hwy 12 and accessed via Thornton Road to a frontage road.
    Description: 880 acres of man-made ditches, canals (burrow ponds), freshwater marshes, grassland/upland, riparian habitat. Ponds were created during the construction of I-5. The nine (9) ponds are, for the most part, not contiguous to each other.
    Hunting, fishing, hiking, wildlife viewing is available.Horses, camping, open fires are not allowed.
    Pheasant, quail, dove and waterfowl can be found here. Hunting allowed with shotguns and archery equipment. No loaded firearms allowed in the safety zone around Pond 9.
    PLEASE NOTE: Area regulations are subject to change. Special restrictions on recreational uses, hunt days and methods of take are listed in the current year's issue of Hunting and Other Public Uses on State and Federal Areas, available at CDFW offices and places where licenses are sold."

So at least from the perspective of the DFW webpage, the date has been removed as GWhunter69 stated.

I'm not arguing that it's open before September 1st but could you please reference where you got that info so we can make sure that it is up to date and accurate for the benefit of all the members here?

Thank you.

Thanks

Both sources seem to be saying two different things...Pheasant, quail, dove and waterfowl can be found here VS. (C) Authorized Species: Waterfowl, pheasants, quail, and doves.
    NRA - Life Member
    NAHC - Life Member

Thanks

GW, that's why I'm trying to find out where he got the info. The web page is just a general information source but his source is formatted like its from a regulation so.. Hopefully he gets back to us and we can get to the bottom of it. Personally, I won't be hunting down there until after Sept. 1 anyway BUT, I am curious now.... lol.

Thanks

No problem.....

I understand.

The detail provided comes from the current 2012-13 Waterfowl and Upland Game Hunting & Department Lands Public Use Regulations.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...54748&inline=1

See Page 50, Item 56.

That is where you will see the rule.

Since this is the current year’s rule, I doubt there will be any change to it going forward.

Good Luck
    Duck Fan

CWA Life Member
    Delta Waterfowl Member
    DU Member
    G

Thanks

Yeah Duck fan is right, the overview of the wildlife area you are looking at online usually says somewhere to refer to those regulations for the specifics since they can change year to year.

Thanks

IMHO, white slough is marginal at best for waterfowling. I would look at taking your daughter to Grizzly Island or Sherman Island if you want to hunt a wildlife area. Or look for free lance areas in the delta, but be aware that the delta is huge and not all of it is good waterfowl hunting either. Almost all the dry land is private and impossible to get permission to hunt.
    Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

Yeah, I hear ya easy money.. I've just never hunted those areas and I don't want to hunt around other people while I'm with her.. You know how kids are... They're there for fun so she might want to stretch her legs and take a break from hunting. I don't want other hunters getting pissy that she's scaring the birds away or something like that.. I will look into it more though and thank you for the suggestions.

Thanks

Depending on the refuge, fixed blind vs free roam, might be a great way to with a young person. Fixed blind everyone has to stay within a limited distance from their drawn blind. IMHO, Mendota would be a good option, because it is huge with many types of ponds and habitat, and it's free roam. If someone is bugging ya, just move a little... The Delta is a tough place even for the regulars who know what they are doing. It is way beyond huge and everything but the water is private land, except for the very few refuge areas. The best hunting is on the islands with the crops, the best habitat and no one hunting except owners or guides only...
    Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

Anyone been to white slough? I went there during Dove season and jumped a pheasant.. There's big corn fields (or rather, there were during Dove season) by the southern most ponds. Let me know if you go and how you do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1USD View Post
    Anyone been to white slough? I went there during Dove season and jumped a pheasant.. There's big corn fields (or rather, there were during Dove season) by the.southern most ponds. Let me know if you go and how you do.
    what pond is it near and the are or bordeing because normally they dont plant anything??

Thanks

White slough is actually a series of ponds. if you look on Google maps in the Lodi area right where I-5 exits for Highway 12, if you take that exit and make your first right (Guard road I believe) follow it down to the next right there's a parking lot to the right and a long pond. If you're looking on Google, scroll south and you will see the rest of the ponds. The southern most pond can be accessed by taking 8 mile road, take the exit and you will see a gate to the right paralleling some corn fields. You will have to use a GPS or iPhone but you can navigate your way to the southern most field from there. They don't plant at White Slough. The Pheasant I saw was wild.

Thanks

Thinking of going to white slough tonight to see if there's any doves flying around. I'll let you guys know what I find. I'm thinking it might produce some since there's actually water out there.. Lol.

+ Reply to Thread