Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the best way to hunt deer?

Thanks

Default What is the best way to hunt deer?

I go hunting every year at caples lake d5 zone and do not have any time to scout because I live 500 miles away. Is the best way to hunt spot and stock or sit yo ass down and wait? This is in the mountains and visibility is 50/50 with trees although there is partial openings

Thanks

Most folk road hunt.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

What do u mean by road hunt

Thanks

Get up high and glass. You can then stalk or set up the next day in range if where you saw them. I typically glass a valley for an hour from different angles and then move to a new valley. Road hunting is driving around until you see something. This can help to locate a population.
    We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.

Aldo Leopold

To waste and destroy our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we ought by right to hand down to them.
    Theodore Roosevel

Thanks

First you're gonna need a huge spot light, I'm talkin 1million candle power plus. Then go out about 1am around some apple orchards. Put the truck in first gear and drive real slow. When u see a deer shine the lights right in the deer's eye. Have your gun loaded and hanging out the window. Shoot any deer u see! Just make sure u don't shoot them robot deer. I hear they dont taste so good.

Ventura County (in the country not the city)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
    First you're gonna need a huge spot light, I'm talkin 1million candle power plus. Then go out about 1am around some apple orchards. Put the truck in first gear and drive real slow. When u see a deer shine the lights right in the deer's eye. Have your gun loaded and hanging out the window. Shoot any deer u see! Just make sure u don't shoot them robot deer. I hear they dont taste so good.
    You can always tell if it's one of them robot deers because their eyes shine BEFORE you light 'em up with your spotlite. As for tasty, you must not be using the right brand of motor oil in the deep fryer. Try Valvoline 20/50w.
    Well, there was a bump, a thump, a cloud of dust, and the smell of turnips wafting through the air...

Thanks

Come October, if we haven't had significant rain/snow, hunt waterholes. I never hunt openers up there, but I do hunt it during wet weather. Wait for a system in the forecast and hit the road. Most people leave during a storm, I prefer to stay, as the deer tend to get more active. As for road hunting, stay away from roads on the opener, you could very well get shot as " hunters" in vehicles will shoot at anything that moves. Good luck.

Thanks

Go to Colorado or Utah.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    You can always tell if it's one of them robot deers because their eyes shine BEFORE you light 'em up with your spotlite. As for tasty, you must not be using the right brand of motor oil in the deep fryer. Try Valvoline 20/50w.
    Rob p answered rob p. Lol, poaching is better dine with a crossbow.
    We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.

Aldo Leopold

To waste and destroy our natural resources, to skin and exhaust the land instead of using it so as to increase its usefulness, will result in undermining in the days of our children the very prosperity which we ought by right to hand down to them.
    Theodore Roosevel

Thanks

why pay the high $ to hunt a shitty zone like D5? 500 miles in any direction of Caples Lake and you are a non-resident.

Thanks

To answer the original question, which method is best? That depends on many things, like habitat, herd numbers and game species.
    If I were to hunt the area you mentioned, I would spot and stalk after sitting and glassing the areas that traditionally would hold the bucks at the time of year I was hunting. And if I were hunting the dark timber, I would resort to sneaking through them still hunting.
    Normally I get a back up tag for one of the Ds or an AO tag just so I can hunt over a longer period of time. And I too, rarely hunt the opener or the general rifle season, preferring to use the weather to tell me when to go. I bow hunt mainly because it weeds out road shooters and there is far less competition from the hoards.
    Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

If you don't know where the deer are, it's unlikely you'll pick a spot to sit down and be lucky enough to have a legal buck walk by. Go look for them. And then shoot and eat one.

Thanks

^ What he said. Hike all over as far from roads as you are capable till you find fresh sign and a big track. Then view from a ways off up high in hopes of seeing something. Sometimes the bucks dig in to thick stuff and we just went in if hunting with a rifle and bumped them out. Takes a few people though and he will probably not be there again after you flush him if he gets away.

Thanks

Find some place closer to home and do a ton of scouting and put in even more time hunting. There is really no other way of being succesful in this state besides sheer luck or hard work the latter being more regularly succesful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P View Post
    Really? Wow. Talk about a fine waiting to happen. Get up high and glass and look for trails that are used often. Follow the trails that are highly used and when you get tired, sit down and wait, and hope for one to show up. To me, scoring a buck is all about being at the right place at the right time. I would rather be lucky than good any day of the week.

Thanks

Disregard the idea of poaching....look for food source...shelter...water...a highly used trail dont equal buck...it could just be does and fawns...big matured bucks tend to go solo...look at the tracks...if its a stuby big track...its a buck...if its small and pointy...its likely a doe or fawn...once u locate a big track...work that area...maybe about a quarter of mile circle area...I ve had a lot of success locating bucks like that....once u pinned down an area...u can than sit wait or still hunt...hope that help...good luck
    Pig is what i do very well...cuz my only question is...how many do u want me to leave???

Thanks

Mature big bucks are like us old grumpy men that prefer to be left alone and dont wanna move too far for a drink or something to eat...thats until the ladies are in heat...
    Pig is what i do very well...cuz my only question is...how many do u want me to leave???

Thanks

thanks and to awnser your question im from ventura area and i fly to reno drive to d5 because my uncle has a camper and atvs and sets up camp for us so its really easy we just show up
    Well all righty then

Thanks

Quietly, walk slow, 5 steps in 5 min if there is obvious deer sign. I've seen so many doing this, shot with my bow at two this year, 0-2

Thanks

i really like still hunting like he describes above ^^^ really hard for me to sit in one place and wait... i think the 'best' way to hunt deer also comes down to your own temperment and preferences

Thanks

on private property.

Thanks

where do those big bucks on fishand game magazine come from i ususally just see a forky
    Well all righty then

Thanks

If your seeing forkys then your seeing more than most of us

Thanks

in all seriousness, even on private property, if you're moving too much or too fast, you're not going to see anything. i like to sit with a good vantage for a while and glass the area. usually the movement from game activity i spot is a good way off in the distance. make a game plan for attack from there.

Thanks

Get as far back from roads as you can,..be there before light, get the high ground and watch, early and late when deer are moving is the time to be glassing.After most of the deer have feed, watered and are bedded, that's the time to be moving, slower the better.Depends on the country your in, you can spot preferred bedding sites and glass them,More open high country it can be under rock outcrops, shade of single trees etc.If its got heavy timber, that makes glassing tough.When still hunting try to keep the wind in your face.Look for pieces of a deer, horizontal lines in a vertical world, ears flipping at flys,suttle movements.Deer will get up, stretch, snack, move into shade as the sun moves during the day, allowing you to spot them, before they see you.Just a few points of 100's.Good luck! Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbcaptain11 View Post
    where do those big bucks on fishand game magazine come from i ususally just see a forky
    The vast majority of those pictures are taken during the rut (late Nov - Dec), on the deers winter range. So, during the season, those Bucks are dispersed within their respective zones. Also, most mature bucks, are primarily nocturnal, with the exception of the rut.

Thanks

thanks all and the forkys were usually hanging in camp or the day before the season started
    Well all righty then

+ Reply to Thread