Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what would a good 308 deer rifle be

Thanks

Default what would a good 308 deer rifle be

hi im looking for a good long range shooter/lightweight hunting rifle.Suggestions? so far i have liked the weatherbys tikkas and sakos . the gun needs to be under 81/2 with scope synthetic/orwood and stainless

ps i have a 3006 and want somthing smaller so tell about calibers to thank you

i hate ca legislaters

Thanks

I have a Remington 700 sps tactical that has shot really well for me, but I've only gone out to 300 yards with iron targets and not more than 100 for actual hunting.
    My son has a Howa and no complaints on it either, I believe they make the Weatherby Vanguards as well.
    I've heard nothing but great things about the rifles your looking into but I don't have any experience with them.
    As far as calibers the .308 isn't much of a step down from the '06, i'd probably look at a .270 if you wanted to step down, but I don't think it'll meet your 800 yd requirement.
    Sorry not a whole lot of useful info there, but there are a ton of similar threads on here that will probably help.

Thanks

The .308 is totally unsuitable to hunting at long range. Notice I didn't say shooting; just hunting. A 30-06 has the same energy at 300 yards as does a .308 at the muzzle. If you want something for long range you need something with enough energy to cleanly kill your intended target at that range. The standard is 1,000 ft/lbs. minimum for elk, for example. If you are talking 400-500 yards, a .270 would be a good choice. Not great, but good. A .300 win mag would be a far better choice, as would something in a hotter .30 caliber like the .300 Wby or .300 Ultra.
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

ok well it was more for 800 yard shooting not hunting hunting out to 200 yards

Thanks

308 was the caliber of choice for snipers for many years. I shoot a Remington 700 in 308 and have never had a problem. Drop deer in their tracks at 300 with non lead and the impact was devistating, also range practice at 400 (longest range nearby) No problems and extremely accurate! mf410 is much more knowledgable than I regarding energy and ft/lbs but all I know is I would feel comfortable with my 308 in any hunting scenerio.
    An archer tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A bow hunter tries to see how close he can get to his.

Thanks

Your requirements contradict. Long range and light don't go together. Generally speaking the barrel taper on a hunting is a lot thinner than a dedacated distance rifle. There are many good light rifles in 308 including the Rem model 7. My general purpose rifle is a Savage 99f in 308. With a 2x7 Leupold it weighs just over 6 lbs. Its good on deer and pig to 300 yards. It's a joy to carry all day and dead accurate. I also have a Rem Model 7 in 7 TCU but it's a 200 yard rifle. You can't play golf with one club. IMHO get more clubs.

Thanks

the .270 and 7mm08 carry their energy better past 300 yards than the .308 . The mod 7 is a short action so that counts out the .270 for that rifle. The .270 shoots fast and flat and is a great round as long as you put it in the sweet spot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    308 was the caliber of choice for snipers for many years. I shoot a Remington 700 in 308 and have never had a problem. Drop deer in their tracks at 300 with non lead and the impact was devistating, also range practice at 400 (longest range nearby) No problems and extremely accurate! mf410 is much more knowledgable than I regarding energy and ft/lbs but all I know is I would feel comfortable with my 308 in any hunting scenerio.
    There were other criteria that were regarded when the .308 was being used. Ammo availability was probably the best one. The .300 win mag has also been used and was "the caliber of choice" for military snipers, as was at one time the 30-06. The requirements for military are somewhat different; I would submit that in many cases a good solid hit on an enemy was all that was required for the mission. That ain't all you want out of your rifle when hunting big game. Hogs in particular are pretty tough and can soak up some lead and disappear forever.

What freezer said is true as well; if you just want a long range shooter, get a heavy barreled rifle with a big scope and shoot long range. If your gonna hunt you want something you can pack around that won't kill you to do so. And, you probably will never need to be able to shoot past 300 yards. Long range hunting is not what it's all about. Stalking in close and getting your shot off on an unsuspecting animal is more my speed.

Thanks

Very well said MF410. If your out there to hunt.....hunt. Sometimes 300 yards is as close as you can get but it doesn't take a 10 lb rifle to do it nor a rifle that can ring the 12 inch gong at 800 yrds.

7 mag, 300 WM, 338 WM and 388 Lapua are good Mulie and elk rifles at range. All require long barrels (24-26 in) and have a signifigant weight and recoil. Praticing with them without instruction can be depreamental to accuracy, you'll develope a flinch. None of these hunting calbres are good bench rifles. They are good hunting cartridges. Bench shooters (distance shooters) rely on knowing where their bullet will land given distance, wind, drift and other factors. This requires pratice and a lot of ammo. Hunting rifles aren't set up for that. A hunting rifle should be set up for a cold shot. Know where the bullet will hit the first time you pull the trigger. Heavy barrels can absorb heat and hold their POI. Hunting rifles with their sharp taper will shoot floaters after threee shots.

To make a long story short if your golfing and want distance, get a deiver. For short shots get a putter. For general use there are a lot of good clubs depending on the terrain your in and your ability. IMHO it's very important to set your goals for the game you want to play then make sure the club you chose fits you and the shots you want to take. That includes the sights or scope.

Thanks

Very well said MF410. If your out there to hunt.....hunt. Sometimes 300 yards is as close as you can get but it doesn't take a 10 lb rifle to do it nor a rifle that can ring the 12 inch gong at 800 yrds.<BR><BR>7 mag, 300 WM, 338 WM and 388 Lapua are good Mulie and elk rifles at range. All require long barrels (24-26 in) and have a signifigant weight and recoil. Praticing with them without instruction can be depreamental to accuracy, you'll develope a flinch. None of these hunting&nbsp;calbres are good bench rifles. They are good hunting cartridges. Bench shooters (distance shooters) rely on knowing where their bullet will land given distance, wind, drift and other factors. This requires pratice and a lot of ammo. Hunting rifles aren't set up for that. A hunting rifle should be set up for a cold shot. Know where the bullet will hit the first time you pull the trigger. Heavy barrels can absorb heat and hold their POI. Hunting rifles with their sharp taper will shoot floaters after threee shots. <BR><BR>To make a long story short if your golfing and want distance, get a deiver. For short shots get a putter. For general use there are a lot of good clubs depending on the terrain your in and your ability. IMHO it's very important to set your goals for the game you want to play then make sure the club you chose fits you and the shots you want to take. That includes the sights or scope.

Thanks

410 and freezer are right. thats why I sugested the .270 or 7mm08. Both have done well for long range shooting. and are easy on the shoulder. you have a 30-06 so why get another .30 call. the .270 and 7mm08 are plenty for deer and pigs out to 300 yards and you can find one in a light rifle.

Thanks

Catchdog, 308 vs 7-08 is a hair split. I'd like a 264 WM or 260 Rem. 270 is a long action cartridge and that ads more weight. The OP has an 06 why 270? . At 300 yards a light short action rifle is king in my book. There are some good hunting short mags out there but with less weight and more powder there's more recoil. The rifle still isn't a good combo long range/hunting rifle. It's one or the other. One cartridge that has had my intrest is the 300 rum it was developed by Ruger to give excelant long range performane from an 18" barrel ans a short action. Alas more recoil.

Thanks

I kind of favor going down to a .25 caliber like the 25-06 or .257 wby mag. However; you're back to a long action. But you have to admit that little bullet goin' fast is kinda cool.......

I never particularly minded carrying a pound or so of extra rifle, even in the high country of Wyoming. I am a big guy at 6' 4", 210 lbs. so can hide a pound or two easier than some people........and I do like the reduction in felt recoil a heavier rifle provides. I did this same mental exercise many years ago and finally concluded that I would like to use a gun capable of killing the BIGGEST animal at the LONGEST distance I would be likely to see. If that were in the south probably a good lever gun in a big caliber. Out west I like the idea of a big magnum .30 caliber. But that's me. I still like the idea of getting in close and shooting 'em in the lips with a bow; THAT'S hunting!

Thanks

i have a 257 wtby back home in texas. i am bringing it with me back to cali this summer when i roadtrip back.

i have pretty much decided to sell it. i bowhunt only now, and having the "opposite" of a close range weapon is ludicris. that thing will flat out reach out to mulie sized game. with a 120 grain bullet, i wouldnt hesitate on a elk.

it is a wonderful round. every single deer i hit with that thing..maybe 8, died on the hoof. just collasped on the spot. no jumping, no running..none of the hunched back "oww" move..just folded.

get a 257 weatherby.

Thanks

freezer, me and you have went over this hair split of 7mm08 and .308 before. 7mm08 les recoil carries its energy better than the .308 past 300 yards. Does a great job on deer and pigs. Why the .270 when he has a 06. Because the .270 set the pace for all long range shooting. Not all short action rifles way less than the same rifle in long action , many have the same weight. .270 you can get ammo any place just like the .308 and 30-06. Not that I have ever forgot or ran out of ammo on a hunting trip. There are many good rounds out there that fit the bill for what he wants. And I am only giving my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. I am a big fan of the 7mm08 because it is a good short actio round that gets the job done with light recoil. Makes a great light pack gun that can kill anything that walks. Not that its a cal for large moose or brown bear but it will kill them. me and my family have taken many animals with the 7-08 from jackel to blue wilderbeest in Africa and many pigs and a few yotes here in the US. It has put everything on the ground quick and even my 103 pound wife that is recoil shy shoots it well. And target shooters love the round. Many say it's a great cal for kids and gals. I say it's great in the hands of a man also.

Thanks

Oh I respect ypur opinions. It's kinda fun banter. For a lot hunters 300yards is further than they should be shooting. I've made two shots that far and knew exactly what I wanted to do. I've past on 400 and 450 yard shots because I didn't not with the rifle I had at the time. Like Clint said," A mans got to know his limitations." When I decided on my Savage I had a Browning lever in mind. I later bought a BLR in 7-08 but it was saddle stocked, not the best comfiguration for a scope. I need a scope because of my eyes. At my self imposed limit of 300 yards with a light hunting rifle either 7-08 or 308 would work. I did like the higher BC of the 7mm and the detachable mag on the Browning was also a plus. The saddle stock killed the deal. I sold the Browning.

270 is a good cartridge but the OP has an 06 once again with pratice the 06 and 270 can be interchangable and especially for the hand loader. Flatter shooting I like the 270, heavier game bullets I like the 06. I feel the 06 a little more versitile because of the range of bullet weight selection, 270 is limited. A kind man once sold his elk rifle to a broke butt. He was a hand loader and so am I. I love the 280 Rem because as a hand loader I can best both the 270 and the 06.

I like this conversation for the OPs benifit because it dirves home the point. Shooting sports are like golf. If you want to play the game you need more than one club. No one club will do two things well. My 308 Savage is my go to gun at 6 lbs. Rem 700 in 280 Ren will take me to 450 yrds but at 8 lbs I don't like to carry it in steep thick terrain. My 25-06 is a good small deer-varmint rifle. I have a Rem model 7 in 7TCU when I hunt deer near cabins and want to respect other folks noise sencitivities. A Marlin Guide gun in 450 Marlin is my 200 yard thumper. I have a 22 plinker and 22 target rifle. The same for 22 pistols.

By the way I'm 5'8'' 185 and 56. I hunt steep terrain at Lake Shasta. Everything form 25 feet to 500 yards. I take two rifles and prep for differnt hunts. Each are sighted for cold shots.

Thanks

Iam 5ft 7in and weigh 175 pounds. I do most my bow hunting here in the flat lands of OH. But I go out of state or maybe country atleast once a year so I can hunt with a rifle. I have a Savage mod 11 7mm08 and a Rem 700 30-06 . My wife has a Rem Mod seven youth 7mm08. I can tell you that me or my wife have killed everything with the 7-08 that I have killed with the 30-06 just as clean. Shot placement and a good bullet like the Barnes TSX is what kills quickly. I love the .280 But when you have a 7-08 and a 30-06 there is no reason to have a .280 or .270. My long range cut of is 350 yards, I have know need to shot at a animal any further than that. And wont do that if I can't get prone. The 25-06 would be a nice round for him fast flat and good for deer and pigs. Ammo price comes to mind and .308, .270 and 30-06 are all cheaper than 7mm08 .264 and others if you shoot standared ammo. But if you shoot premium lead free stuff they are all pretty close. I dont reload and get 1/4 inch groupes at 100 yards with both my rifles. I had to free float the barrel on my 700 to do it .

Thanks

Well if you're hunting in cartel country, one of these! LOL

SANY0352.jpgSANY0356.jpg
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

what's your budget?

As far as long range and light not working together, that's a false statementhttp://www.gunwerks.com/Shooting-Systems/helios

Thanks

My Tikka .30-06 is 7.5 pounds including the scope and is the most accurate rifle I own.

Thanks

Kind of hard to go wrong with a 6.5/.260 short action caliber. .260 Rem/6.5 Creedmoor/6.5x47 Lapua.
    MarinePMI
    "Despite our ever-changing, ever-indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and synthetic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood. I stalk a real world of dark wood and tall grass stirred by a restless wind blowing across sunlit water and beneath star-strewn sky. And on those occasions when I choose to kill,....I do so by choice, quickly, and with the learned efficiency of a skilled hunter." -- M. R. James

+ Reply to Thread