Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cottonwood Creek Upper or Lower

Thanks

Default Cottonwood Creek Upper or Lower

I've never been to cottonwood creek but was thinking about trying it this weekend for a little day trip. Has anyone been pulling any pigs out of there lately? Any suggestions whether I should try the upper or lower section? (I know the lower section is archery and shotgun only)

Thanks

Thanks

I know for a fact that in the past couple of years, hunters on here have been pulling in pigs left and right from upper cottonwood area. That's where I would try if I were you. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks

What Bret said was a lied. It was 4 years ago not the past couple years.........

Thanks

Bret - Im not sure if i sense a little sarcasm in your post? Are you serious or messing with me?

Searching I've found a few posts talking about seeing pig sign and a few success stories for deer but no success stories for pigs.

Thanks

It's a fact. I was even up there when people were shooting all the pigs. It was crazy! Hunters were dragging pigs left and right and I kept wondering where mine was. My timing may be off by a couple years though. LOL. I think L2H hit the hammer on the nail and reminded me that it was 4 years ago. My, my, my, how time flies.

Thanks

Hey I wanna go pig hunting if any one wants to team up. I have a tied schedule but I can work something out. Let me know to get ready for some bacon.

Thanks

Any suggestions where I should start? I can see that there is one main parking lot but a few different trailheads and a few little ponds (maybe seasonal?). I'm not asking for any secret honey holes but anyone can pm me if they feel inclined to send me in he right direction but not broadcast it all over the interweb.

Thanks

Thanks

I was up there chasing deer in August and did see some fresh pig sign...no pigs though. A lot of the game trails led to adjacent properties that hold water. There are a couple of small watering holes that will probably be your best bet. Check out google earth and pick up a map at the main parking lot. Good luck Dust Feeder! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks

Dust Feeder, I plan on going up there Thanksgiving day, but am too in search of answers to see who has spotted anything up there.

Thanks

Hey, back again. Was scouting...err...scanning around on google earth and decided to make a makeshift overlay to define the borders to Upper Cottonwood WA. I found about 7 water bodies on the western region with lots of coverage either on site or nearby with a few good vantage points to spot a few water bodies at a time. However on the eastern side of the WA, there isn't any body of water, but very very little coverage. Looks to me that the Western side would be best for pigs. Only now, we just need to wait for someone to speak up and tell us if they spotted anything during a hunt or scout they did recently this year. Or quite possibly last year to get a general idea of an area to go towards. I may sneak up there one time when my kids are over at their aunt's house to scout it a bit and see what I can find. But no telling if I am gonna be able to do so before thanksgiving day lol, as that's the day I am thinkin of goin up there instead of spending the day at my in-laws house.

Thanks

Hunting the west side of the area is your best bet.

Thanks

When you say west side are you referring the the western side of the upper cottonwood or are you refering the the entire area of upper cottonwood vs lower cottonwood (which seems to be east of upper)?

JB - 7 is pretty good. I haven't looked hard but only saw 3. Saw a few others that I estimated just outside of the area but maybe my estimated borders were off a little. I'll be in SoCal over thanksgiving otherwise I'd say lets meet up.

I'll post my findings after this weekend

Thanks

West side of the upper cottonwood area is the furthest side away from highway 152 and the parking lot. There is a pond back there and there may or may not be water left. If I were you, I would hunt around the pond and any of the neighboring hills by it. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huntingbret View Post
    West side of the upper cottonwood area is the furthest side away from highway 152 and the parking lot. There is a pond back there and there may or may not be water left. If I were you, I would hunt around the pond and any of the neighboring hills by it. Good luck and let us know how you do.
    I agree with Bret. The North/ West side of Upper Cottonwood will probably be your best bet. There is a parking area on the North side of HWY 152 (Driving West bound) that has a trail that borders the West boundry of the property that will take you to the far North/ West corner of the property. Let me see if I have a marked up map and I'll post it on here.

Thanks

Document1.jpg

This should help.

Thanks

Don't quote me on the property borders, that was just an estimated overlay. Pick up a map at the main parking lot when you sign in. From there head West adn park at the area I have marked and follow the trail head.

Thanks

I found the 3 that you marked on the map there, that makes 10 counts for me. Now ur makin me scan a bit harder now that I know what the possible dry spots look like as well as dirty water lol. But that does seem to be a prime area since it has multiple access spots of water sources and good coverage. I do have a rough overlay as well that I can see where the border lies for the boundary for Google Earth. Wish I could give the file that goes to the make-shift boundary with coloring. Don't know how to pull that file out. Back to scanning when I can!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dust feeder View Post
    When you say west side are you referring the the western side of the upper cottonwood or are you refering the the entire area of upper cottonwood vs lower cottonwood (which seems to be east of upper)?

JB - 7 is pretty good. I haven't looked hard but only saw 3. Saw a few others that I estimated just outside of the area but maybe my estimated borders were off a little. I'll be in SoCal over thanksgiving otherwise I'd say lets meet up.

I'll post my findings after this weekend
    Yeah, Its all related to upper cottonwood, not lower. The eastern side looks barren and plain, barely any coverage in that section. I'd say around 5% coverage. however, the western end has tons of coverage and water sources. I found even more possible water holes/ponds/streams in the area now that I know what I am looking for.

So far I have found :

5 mud basins
    14 water sources (Ponds, water holes, small body of water of some sort.)
    3 possible streams

Can't tell exactly what is under most of the heavy coverage, but am pretty sure there are some hidden waterholes and mud basins. Still tinkering with the fact if i am gonna go for sure, but if anything, I just might go there just to scout cause now I can't tell what my wife wants to do that day......will let u guys know what happens.

Thanks

Well, didn't see any piggies on Sunday. It was really dry consideering it just rained on thrusday. I didn't make it up to the top pond but didnt see any water in a few other places I thought I might.

I did see some fresh tracks and rooting and a lot of what looked like a few day old rooting. The soil was moist under the surface and had lots of little ~1" grass growing on the rooted areas. Would that lead you guys to believe that it was a few days old?

I also saw what looked like two mountain lion tracks, a few skeletons (one prob a fawn), and some what looked like super sized oval deer pellets. The pellets 3/8" around and 3/4" long, not clumped together. Seemed bigger than any doe sign I've seen. Any guesses what that might be from? Elk? I'll try and upload them from my phone when I get a chance.

Thanks

Thanks for the report. Not sure what those droppings may be from but I have seen some really big doe droppings. Right across the upper cottonwood area...aka dinosaur point, there are many elks on that side. Maybe one snuck over during the night to take a dump then cross over again to dinosaur point. LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dust feeder View Post
    Well, didn't see any piggies on Sunday. It was really dry consideering it just rained on thrusday. I didn't make it up to the top pond but didnt see any water in a few other places I thought I might.

I did see some fresh tracks and rooting and a lot of what looked like a few day old rooting. The soil was moist under the surface and had lots of little ~1" grass growing on the rooted areas. Would that lead you guys to believe that it was a few days old?
    Well, it's still a good sign to see rooting and tracks in the area. Just shows that they are there in the area. Now it's just a matter of finding them and seeing what size they are. Hopefully with some more scouting in the area as well as further back will turn up more better results. I am soo hoping to get out there soon so I can help with the scouting and findings of them pigs. At least before Thanksgiving day cause then that's when I can be out there all day hopefully. Keep the search up if you can, and good find with the rootings and tracks.

Thanks

The big droppings were probably from Tule Elk, there is a large herd across the hwy.

Thanks

I saw a cow elk in upper cotton creek while scouting in july. I believe they are part of the san clara tule elk herd.

Thanks

Well, it seems the wife is gonna get both wed and Thurs off of thanksgiving. Looks like I am gonna have to sleep hard on that Tues so I can work through my night from 11pm to 7am. Then grab the family and my rifle & wallet and head to Los banos. Then after draping them off, go to the sporting good store there and get my license and tag. Then head out in the hills on wed afternoon til sunset. Then hopefully if I find some tracks and footings and don't tag out that wed, I will be out there early thanksgiving morning scouting like mad while waiting for the buggers. Hopefully I hear from one of you guys of any findings beforehand so I know where to head out to, otherwise I will be going by what I see for possible areas to go to for them hogs.

Thanks

No new news from the field???

Went to Bass Pro Shops yesterday and found a bow i am most def gonna get. I also had my 2 kids buggin the crap outta me to get them bows. So now I know what to get them, gonna be there for Black Friday morning shopping. Best deals on youth bows for them on that day. I seen the Black Friday Preview for BPS online and checked the reviews all over the net and seems like a good bow to grow into for the longest time.

Thanks

Is there a parking area that's not off of 152 that's a pretty crazy highway

Thanks

Yea there is an actual parking area and check in station off the west bound side of 152. Look for the green gate.

Thanks

Man i drove that hill twice a day for 6 years, I can't believe I've never known about it

Thanks

IMG301.jpgIMG300.jpgIMG299.jpgIMG305.jpgNo pigs but it looked promising. Went up Tue for a few hours.

Thanks

Hey guys what do I need to do to hunt uppercotton wood? Is this time of year just sign in and hunt? Trying to find it online but all that keeps coming up is info about the permits for deer season. Also Is it legal to do some coyote hunting up there right now or is it just pig?
    You cant hit it if you dont shoot at it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast