Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you hunt with your bow during rifle season?

Thanks

Default Do you hunt with your bow during rifle season?

I like to hunt with my bow even when rifle or shotgun is permitted. Sometimes I'll take a rifle with me to extend my range, but it's less often. How about you?

Thanks

I prefer to bow hunt anytime. A rifle is just way too easy for me. A bow provides the thrill of the stalk, and its ok if I don't come home with a harvest every single time. Its about the hunt for me, not the kill. That's just me though.

DISCLAIMER: some of the things I say may be unfiltered, offensive, or even complete B.S.

Thanks

well being strickley a bowhunter and archer it not my really my cup of tea to be in the woods when the gunners are on the loose thats for sure, growing up back east it wasnt uncommon each year for a hunter to be shot by another hunter during deer hunting season due to stupidity and mistaken identity, thinking another hunter was a deer, how that happens when you are supose to be wearing blaze orange makes me wonder. i know for a fact because of cold weather and snow when gunners are hunting back east they ( not all hunters ) do indulge in hard liqures to keep them warm and knowing that i never hunted public land during the gun season back east, i only hunted during gun season on my privite little 50 acers where i felt safe and secure without the yahoos of the woods playing elmor fudd with a gun.
    since i have been hunting on the west coast i have changed a little and i will go out during the gunner season with a friend, butt by myself still i am not that comfortable in case something happens it nice to have a hunting buddy to help u out. being out in the middle of the woods hearing gun shots randomly all over while bowhunting like i said not my cup of tea....tra
    Official Staff Shooter For ( DCA ) DEER CROSSING ARCHERY >-------->
    Lee County Archers Member Ft. Myers Florida
    Florida Archery Association / NFAA
    Former Member of California Bowmen Hunters 8 yrs.
    Shooting Stick N String for 20+ yrs.
    Predator Archery
    JHO King of Selfies
    JHO Godfather of Tapatalk
    Fled The Greedy State Ca.
    Florida Hog Hunting, No Lic.! No Tags! Don't be Jealous!> BTW There's No Pigs in TEJON..lol

Thanks

Yes i hunted with bow only for about 20 years straight, then i picked up the rifle and i was hooked nailed my first rifle buck back in 96. I hunt with both now but prefer the rifle.

Thanks

I know what it's like to be completely invisible in a natural ground blind at dusk...holding a bow during rifle season, having six deer within feet of you and hearing the unmistakable sound of a bolt action rifle within 30 yards of my back. That was something.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

i hunt near Mariposa every year with my bow during the rifle seaons..bow season is Africa hot.

i am 100% unsuccesful...but i have seen deer 100% of the time. all at around 80 yards. if i had a rifle my odds would be perfect. strangely enough, i like the bow.

i been fighting the Siren's song to build a long range rifle. i like them..but hunting with one would seem too easy. i could wear street clothing..heck i could wear a rodeo clown suit.. so maybe one day. build a macmillian custom rifle..for the long shots.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    i hunt near Mariposa every year with my bow during the rifle seaons..bow season is Africa hot.

i am 100% unsuccesful...but i have seen deer 100% of the time. all at around 80 yards. if i had a rifle my odds would be perfect. strangely enough, i like the bow.

i been fighting the Siren's song to build a long range rifle. i like them..but hunting with one would seem too easy. i could wear street clothing..heck i could wear a rodeo clown suit.. so maybe one day. build a macmillian custom rifle..for the long shots.
    If your seeing them at 80 yards, that's good. You sure don't need a long range rifle for that. Just keep improving on stalking skills, once you make a bow harvest....your hooked!!

DISCLAIMER: some of the things I say may be unfiltered, offensive, or even complete B.S.

Thanks

I hunt with my Bow(Darton Storm), Rifle (Rem 30-06) & Muzzleloader (CVA Accura 50 cal). But 2 yr's ago I hunted all archery and general season's with my Bow,until the last weekend, and then shot a 3x2 with my 30-06, at 182 yd's, he was laying down broadside.

Thanks

Can you still hunt bear with a bow during general season. Would like to hunt with bow only

Thanks

I have an AO tag, and have been bowhunting D14 during general season this season. It can be stressful in some areas. Just be aware of other hunters in the area and make sure they know where you are. They are usually up high on hillsides glassing. If you see anyone up top, wave and show them your position before you go stalking through the bushes.
    What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Thanks

I bow hunt during Rifle season. Ill take an orange hat and my back pack pack has an orange cover. If I see a few smokes sticks Ill let my position be known. I try to get in before the rifle guys and let them push deer to me.

+ Reply to Thread