Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where do the deer go when it starts Raining?

Thanks

Default Where do the deer go when it starts Raining?

I thought this would be a great question. Seriously, where do they go? Hill tops to bed under trees and avoid flooding? Or do they stay low?

How about before it rains? I heard they get busy just before the rain comes. Is that true?
    "I don't need to be the sharpest tool in the shed if I'm the sledge hammer."
    Former Staff Sergeant, USMC -12yrs
    Field Artillery Cannoneer
    Drill Instructor, MCRD San Diego
    2nd Degree Marine Corps Martial Arts Instructor-Trainer

Thanks

They stand out in the open when it rains to keep the bugs off.

Thanks

Out in the open. They are in plain sight and easy pickings most the time. Get to a good vantage point and hunker down and start glassing!

Thanks

The legal bucks go in bed of pickups when it rain.......

Thanks

This question just put an image of deer herds with umbrellas in my head.

I am guessing that they do similar to bears, they bed under trees or overhanging rocks if they feel like it, and sometimes they just walk about in the rain and continue to munch whatever they can find, with no significant change in their habits other than seasonal changes.

I could be wrong because I am no animal behavior expert, but there might be more of change in behaviors due to season or time of year, rather than it just raining to affect their behaviors.
    Last edited by Stonepointer; 10-11-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    'Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.' - Ronald Reagan

Thanks

wonder if they feel safe in the rain since the cats hate water?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stonepointer View Post
    This question just put an image of deer herds with umbrellas in my head.

I am guessing that they do similar to bears, they bed under trees or overhanging rocks if they feel like it, and sometimes they just walk about in the rain and continue to munch whatever they can find, with no significant change in their habits other than seasonal changes.

I could be wrong because I am no animal behavior expert, but there might be more of change in behaviors due to season or time of year, rather than it just raining to affect their behaviors.
    Watched a group of 4 deer in a D7 meadow area last year while gillie suited under a tree stand for 4 hours in a steady rain condition and they acted just as described, which was not much different than clear weather conditions.................Don

Thanks

Unless the rut is on, for the most part they go to the same places as when it's hot as blazes out. If it's rainy AND windy, expect them to be bedded on leeward slopes. They don't like being "out" in the rain any more than we do. Once the weather breaks though, be ready to catch them up and feeding/stretching their legs any time of the day. In areas where a life depends on a heavy layer of fat for the winter, they are more prone to getting caught feeding during a storm if the cold season is around the corner as an early storm can act as a wake-up call.

Thanks

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
    Roger Miller

Save a boyfriend for a rainy day - and another, in case it doesn't rain.
    Mae West

I couldn't resist the quotes. The last three deer I've taken (2011 - D9, 2010 - Utah, 2009 - Colorado) have all been shot in the rain. A nice steady rain (no wind) seemed to bring them out of hiding and made for very silent stalking. Wool and/or polar fleece clothing keep me warm and out in the woods when other hunters headed for camp. I love it when it rains.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell, English novelist

Thanks

When it starts raining the deer go into the brush or under trees where they can stay dry. Once it has rained enough to get those dry places wet they will come out and stand in the open and shake occasionally. A real magic time is when the rain stops and the sun comes out as they will come out and stand in the sun, just like we would if we were wet.

Thanks

Rain is just one factor, depending on the air temps when it's raining & how long it's been raining. The animals behave differently, it's never really the same. But from my experience, alot of the big boys are just not going to be strolling around when it's pouring cold. If you do see a giant, most likely he's gonna be running or trotting. Most of the time, they're gonna sit out the storm especially if it's a long one. If they do get up to feed, it's gonna be a quick snack & really close to where they're bedding. Besides other factors like the rut, I would say those big boys are gonna be hunker down most of the time especially when it's pouring.

Thanks

I have never had success while it's been raining. Actually see very few animals in my experience. However, immediately after the rain stops quite a few times, it's been like someone turned on a light switch and deer everywhere. I'm not talking later on in the day or the next day...I'm talking about within 15-30 minutes immediately following rain.
    I love Mother Nature and I thank her for allowing me the opportunity to explore her land!

Alexander Bourdaniotis

Thanks

I went out today again for another late afternoon rabbit hunt, but in a different part of D11.

No bunnies, too much thunder and the threat of an oncoming rainstorm to their liking, so they stayed in their holes most of the afternoon, but just as I was moving further up a canyon, I came upon a young doe in an almost open area.

This one kind of small and fairly young.

The clouds were dark and thundering when this happened so there was a definite shower coming in at some point in the afternoon.

I just stood still frozen with my bow holding an already nocked small game blunt-headed arrow clipped to the string and pointed at the ground, looked at her and our eyes met; she was not sure what I was, but when the wind spiraled in the canyon between us, she had it confirmed I was probably something to get away from and she stottered off up a hillside.

Now I am pretty sure this doe knew the rains were coming in, but it did not keep her from grazing the area for alot of the plants that they like.
    Last edited by Stonepointer; 10-11-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    'Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.' - Ronald Reagan

Thanks

From what I've seen over the years, rain doesn't really bother them much unless it's a downpour. In a heavy rain, they tend to head for thick cover for awhile. As BSA mentioned, WIND does affect them. In a strong wind they will hunker down. I believe the wind affects their ability to hear well and makes them nervous, since their hearing is one of their best defenses.
    "Democracy ends when the government takes from those willing to work and gives to those who aren't"
    Thomas Jefferson.

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” John Adams 1826

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

not to sure about rain haven't noticed much different behavior but what I saw this year is when it's windy they came down off the ridges to quieter areas.
    Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

+ Reply to Thread