Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So we hunted A31 this morning - Azusa Canyon

Thanks

Default So we hunted A31 this morning - Azusa Canyon

We sat in the blind for a few hours...Saw a 2x2 with 2 does 177 yards on top of a ridge... no way to get to them .

I head out to come home around 945 and almost run over 2 does with my truck !! I had better luck getting a deer with my truck then with my BOW

WTF ??

Oh well, it was nice to be out again... 77 degrees at 5am this morning ...unbelievable.
    Looks are everything, anyone who tells you different is ugly !!

Thanks

Stick with em man. Seems like its been a little tougher year thus far in A31.

Thanks

Re you using a natural blind or a pop up blind? if you are using a pop up have you had good success with this? I have been considering using mine but have heard that deer wont come near one if it hasnt been there for a while undisturbed and they are used to seeing it, dont know if this is true or not.

Thanks

the best thing to do with the pop up blinds is stick in front of a bush and use some branches to break up the shape of the blind.

Thanks

We've been using a pop up blind all season with great success. We've tried it in the wide open and had deer come to within 8 yards of it. It has worked in all types of situations and terrain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calicreole View Post
    Re you using a natural blind or a pop up blind? if you are using a pop up have you had good success with this? I have been considering using mine but have heard that deer wont come near one if it hasnt been there for a while undisturbed and they are used to seeing it, dont know if this is true or not.
    I've had does come and stick their face in the window while I was turkey hunting in a pop-up blind.

Thanks

thanks guys, I think i will give mine a shot

Thanks

Here is the blind i use...Im gonna try going into the trees more...maybe change locations Thursday evening.
    Hope it works...lolblind.JPG I want to leave it in the bushes so they get used to it, just dont want to have it disappear on me. haha

Thanks

I'd take some twigs and small limbs to break up the corners and edges of the blind. They'll cast more shadows and make it harder for the deer to see. I tried to attach a pic of my blind but I don't think it worked, but it can be seen here (http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...94#post2347894 ) next time I would hide more with more brush. Good luck!!!

Thanks

will do sir.

Thanks

Azusa Canyon had been packed with hunters so far this year. Has anyone tried Rincon Rd. across from the fire station? The ranger lady in Glendora said it is closed indefinetely to motorized traffic. Anyone ever try to get across the reservoir to some of those canyons with green growth?

Thanks

haha if your talking about the reservoirs across the san gab then yes. Me and a buddy were stalking a fine 2x3 and he ended up falling down a 50 foot ledge. Me being the idiot i was tried finding a different route to get him out and ended up eatin shit down it too. We were in and out of every canyon going into the reservoir just trying to figure a way out. The brush is so think we had to crawl on our hands and knees to get under most of it and the climbs up the drainage's were miserable ( mind you im in pretty good shape ). We started up by the fire service road just off of GMR. We fell about 8am and we had to grid up and down the drainage's all the way around the reservoir to the top of the east fork Rd. Ended up not getting out till about 4pm. We found the buck we were after too but since everything is at a 45 degree angle he heard us slipping and sliding all over the loose rocks before we stumbled on him. At that point we didnt give to much if we had a shot off or not cuzz 1 we wanted to be home by at least dinner hah and 2 there was no way in hell we could pack it out with the insane climbing we had to do. I know of some old trails that lead into those parts down in those canyons but where we fell we couldn't locate anything familiar. Lost 3 arrows, and my buck knife and my bud lost all but 2 of his arrows and his range finder....So in my honest opinion id just stay out of those parts haha.

Thanks

wow quack assasin...sounds like fun...been there done that...haha atleast you made it out..lol

Im heading out this evening with my brother...Hope we get something tonight...

Thanks

WELL did it again, today i ran into the same 3x3 ive been looking for and completely blew it...came 20 feet up to me while i was behind a bush and didnt have time to throw and arrow at him. The story will be posted..

Thanks

[QUOTE Anyone ever try to get across the reservoir to some of those canyons with green growth? ][/QUOTE]

There was a long time bowhunter that used to park on 39 and cross the river between the dams to hunt up to GMR and back down. A lot of extra work but the guy bagged a buck nearly every year.
    Judge Gideon J. Tucker, wrote in a 1866 ruling that "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Thanks

I hiked up rincon rd a week ago after hearing the ranger office say its a decent spot. Road is still closed. Hiked about 2 miles up and didn't get around the front face of the mountain. Saw plenty of tracks but no deer. Got some exercise though. I'm no expert in that area, but most of what I saw was pretty steep with very thick brush.

Thanks

Hahaha, nice story! I hiked down from a ridge starting at GMR and it ended up overlooking the dam, i could see the flat spot but looked like I'd need a rappeling system to get down and over that way. I glassed a few great looking canyons all morning and didn't see a damn thing (besides cat scat). It was a no-deer day until we were heading out and saw some deer in the grass lawn of a church off sierra madre.

From what I saw, if I took the right ridges, it looks like I could drop right in there from that dirt road. Haven't done it yet and probably wont until D11 ends and I fill my D14 tag. Anyone know what the fine is for taking an inflatable raft across?!?

Thanks

Raft..lol..Ive been wondering the same thing all summer ..lol

Thanks

1,000$ just for making entry... not sure what it would be for being in the water like that

+ Reply to Thread