Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red mountain chukar hunting...

Thanks

Default Red mountain chukar hunting...

Any one scouted or heard of reports for the Red mountain area on chukar? Last year held a ton of birds and a good mix of Quail. What's the update?

Thanks

I'm sure there are lots of birds as usual and even more hunters. And even yet more out of shape hunters on ATV's road hunting. Last year was like dove opener in Yuma, sounds like a war zone. Wear your orange and glasses for sure because guys use bigger shot for chukar, a #5 isn't like getting peppered with #9's. Good luck & be careful(mostly watch out for idiots).

Thanks

Its been to crowded in the past 5+ years. Plenty of places to find them with in 30 miles to not have to bump into other hunters.
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    - Adolf Hitler, 1935

Thanks

I poked around a few spots on my last 2 trips to my X9A hunt. It's not looking good, gonna be tough sledding to just find birds and they will be smart adult holdovers. Didn't see any young birds at all. This was around Red Mtn, Randsberg, Trona Rd and Johannessburg. Water is the key, it's really dry out there.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

Yea it always like a war zone out there. Been hunting the open for chukar over there for years. After wards we head over to our quail grounds.

We have a couple of good spots not too many hunters know of around the area. We dont really go on Red mountain where you have 100+ hunters on a single hill...

Yep. I figured it was going to be a water issue because of the dryer seasons we have had. It's worth a try I say.

Thanks

As usual, they are all standing around in "downtown" Randsburg, lol.
    What the hell you lookin' down here for?

Thanks

I put in countless miles working the mountains to the east of independance and lone pine. Did see birds a few times but all very large holdovers. One covey sitting at the crest of a pass at 9,500. Some down near the valley floor, others way back in there around 7,500. All the covey just 3 to 6 huge birds.
    People who hug trees shouldn't live in wooden houses!

Thanks

Haha the usual "cityfolk" lol. Every time they trick you when you see all the birds bunched up u think it's going to be an awesome hunt and when u start walking the hills you only see a handful of birds. The only thing you can do is sit there and watch the damn birds enjoying their time in the safety of the houses lol

+ Reply to Thread