Sierra Outdoor Supply

View Poll Results: Get Lucky?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, killed 1 or more deer (in California)

129 57.59%
  • No, I hunted but struck out

76 33.93%
  • I didn't hunt

19 8.48%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 deer hunt success rate for JHO

Thanks

Default 2012 deer hunt success rate for JHO

Please vote in the poll,....then tell your story
    Fluently vocalizing from my rectum

I love buying used guns.......No honey it's not a new gun, I've had that thing for years. look at all the marks on it!

Fugaloo Foo-gah-loo

Thanks

Didn't vote, because even though I bought a tag and didn't even shoot at anything --- my season(and it ain't over) was a very big success. I found a fat little four point for my grandson to stick with an arrow! It was his first deer, been almost a month ago, and he is still having trouble thinking it really happened. If I don't gpo again in 2012, this was my most successful year ever!
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

I was lucky and got my first deer on day two of D-3, Thanks to a good friend

Thanks

I saw 4 bucks during archery. I had a shot deflected by brush on a 3x2 during archery and was successful opening day of D4 rifle on an average forky. I'll update when I shoot #2
    I love Mother Nature and I thank her for allowing me the opportunity to explore her land!

Alexander Bourdaniotis

Thanks

attachment.jpegHunted an unfamiliar area in A-zone this last, general season. Hiked in about a mile from the road and decided to take a seat 120yds. from a thick blue oak stand. At about 6:00pm, i took a seat in the 2' tall grass. I sat for about 1hr and begin to get a little anncy. So i pulled out my phone to take a pic, so i could send it to my wife. When i took the pic, the timer from the camera made a loud "beep!, beep!, beep!", sound. I frantically fumbled for my phone. I grabbed my phone and thought to myself, "wtf are u doing messing with your phone", your supposed to be hunting". So as i am putting my phone back in my pocket i think to myself, "for all u know there could be a buck right behind u". I turn to my left (2oclock) and was suprised to see a young buck at 60-80yds staring dead in my direction. He was standing on a boulder outcrop. He was completely broadside. I was well camoed. I could see he was spiked, but i couldnt make out weather he was legal. Before i raised my rifle, i waited for him to turn his head. As he turned his head away from my direction, raised my rifle straight at the horns. It was on! He had one little fork on the upper 1/3 and one spike. I put the hairs on the kill zone and pulled! Booom! Lol, he turned his head and looked right back at me. I completely missed. I chambered another, put it on the shoulder, made sure i kept my eye wide open and pulled again. Booom! This time he ran down hill with his front legs dipping low to the ground. He whent about 30 yds and my tag was punched! This is my second deer and i am very greatfull. Looking forward to next year!
    Last edited by Brush Hunter; 09-29-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks

Well, I don't think this poll is very scientific, but as of this post we're shooting a 75% success rate. Considering the state average is around 12 to 15%, that either means my method of data collection is is seriously faulted, or that as a collective we all do way better than the average guy. And honestly, I could see it go either way. On one hand this poll only gets influenced by who reads it and then goes through the trouble of replying. And that is only the guys who's season has ended already. So I could easily see the poll as bad numbers.

But. What is to say about a bunch of crazy hunters that take their hunting so seriously as to spend countless hours while not hunting going over an internet forum for hours just to discuss hunting. I think it is a sign of a higher form of hunter than just the casual stalker. I think it shows a dedication to the pursuit that only comes from somebody that really cares about doing things the right way. Personally I missed two shots this year with a crossbow, one was a little long but the other I was confident about. Such is hunting, and now I am going to spend 11 months trying to get better access for next year. I take this hunting thing very seriously, and I know all you guys do too. I think it shows.

I love buying used guns.......No honey it's not a new gun, I've had that thing for years. look at all the marks on it!

Fugaloo Foo-gah-loo

Thanks

Done and done! Got my first archery buck this season and shot an okay forkie with the muzzleloader for the G11. I've already posted the stories, so why be redundant?
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

Although I had seen some pretty nice deer on my neighbor's place, they usually don't move up to my place until the rut starts or the acorns drop. About 3 weeks into the season I saw an average forky and thought WTH, the freezer is nearly empty, might as well take him. Now waiting for X zone to open.

Thanks

Missed a buck during d-7 archery, went back with grandpa and I dropped a 16" wide 2x2 at 60 yards with 30/06 on rifle opener. Not bad for a zone that has a success rate of like 3%!

Thanks

I'm not sure if I'm done yet or not. I may grab a B tag if the boy can get his stuff together.
    I had one real opportunity this year during A zone archery when I was heading back to camp, I jumped two bucks off of the road and they stood there for a bit watching as I got out of the truck... but rookie mistake, I did not have my release on and was not comfortable taking a shot with my fingers. They were about 25-35 yards away. I jumped another one at 80 yards the next day, but could not see the head, only the tail as it bolted.
    We also went out for 4 days during rifle opener in A zone, and did not see anything legal.
    Since then I have made three other day trips with my rifle and my boy, but only saw does.
    I had a good spot I wanted to spend more time at, but I was locked out after a fire came within a mile or so of where I hunted.
    My lack of deer this year is due to me being unprepared when I had my one opportunity and my lack of being able to get out more. From being on here it is apparent that scouting more and hiking more will help me be successfull in the future. As Common said it was a sucessfull year even if I do not get out again, as I was able to get out with my boy and start my deer hunting career.

Thanks

Yeah the survey is flawed in that a lot of seasons are still open, and people who were successful are more likely to report in. Me I am still hunting D7 for a few weekends on some small private property. Did not recover my public land A-zone buck which was pretty tragic as that would have been my first blacktail
    This is public land, we're not hunting we're hiking with guns.

I promise nothing but blood, sweat, toil and tears...on public land.

Thanks

Got my first buck in A-zone on private land.

I was standing in a filed next to a draw and up popped a doe, followed by a really thick spiker and a 2x2 with eye gaurds. The doe came up first followed by the males. The 2x2 crossed in front, saw me, and gave me the full on "here's my spread...watcha got?".

At that moment, I muttered "Turn broadside, smart ***!" and he did.

I hit him with a perfect broadside lung shot. He went 20 yards away from me with blood gushing out
    of his left side and dropped.

It were a hoot!
    Science flies people to the moon...Religion flies people into buildings

DeadNuts is offline Member Moving Up In The World DeadNuts
    Thanks

Shot my first buck ever during A zone early season archery this year. (story posted) Now just waiting for A-24 to start so I can try for #2!

Thanks

After not taking the time to do much bow hunting I went rifle hunting opening day of B4. I came across a fork at 9:00 a.m. which I promptly shot at and missed, what a way to start! I then ended my weekend hunt because I had out of town relatives visiting.

The following weekend I went out with my mother in-law and she ran a nice Pacific Fork to me which I again promptly missed! This was starting to get annoying so I switched from my 270 to 243 for my evening hunt because of course it was the gun not the shooter. Well lucky me I came driving over a ridge to two bucks. They ran a short distance and stood broadside. One was a spork and the other a standard fork so I shot the standard fork and just new there would be a big buck around the corner so I loaded him onto the quad and took off. Got around the corner and the other group in camp had just shot a beautiful 3 point, damn I knew there was a big one there, oh well I was glad he got one.

Got back to camp and my mother in-law had gone up to the house to talk and had shot a standard fork and a pacific fork while up there so she was done! The next morning I just cruised around the ranch and saw two more forks but wanted something bigger.

Well a few weeks go by and no one was really seeing any bucks and we were down to the last weekend. I saw nothing Saturday and the owners son ended up with a 3x2 that evening so I figured I would try his hunt for Sunday evening. Saw nothing Sunday morning and at 5:00 headed up the hill to start the hunt when I ran into the owners son. We decided to hunt together and he would hike a little draw to the top where we would start back down. I would just drive my quad up and start from there. Once I got to the top I looked to my left and there was a buck and doe. I fumbled around with my scope covers and put the crosshairs on him and bang, he runs into the brush. I am totally disgusted I have missed again so I jump the fence and head to the brush where he went in. To my surprise he was laying there dead! Woohoo a 4x3 to end the season on the last day of B4 I was excited! So just as I was loading him up I heard a shot so I hurried over to where I was supposed to meet the owners son. What do I see but another buck down a great 3x3, it was a great ending to a great season.

Thanks

yea fugaloo it's flawed... for now, until all seasons are over and all report. but for me I scored haven't bought a second tag yet working on getting my GF her first one ever.
    Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Thanks

I got mine opener of bow season, Striking out a bunch in rifle season

Thanks

Tag soup for me this year. My record keeps getting worse, now it's 0-5 seasons... Hunted D-5 this past weekend offof Mormon Immigrant Trail and saw two deer the whole time. I followed a decent forkie for about a 1/4 mile trying to get a clear shot, but the thick brush kept him 99% hidden and he eventually slipped away.
    CApighunter

The Universe, Milky Way, Earth, US, CA, IE, Chino, My House
    Thanks

Am I the only one here that's little a bit frustrated with the success story post? I really enjoy seeing everyone's deer and reading the storys, but I think I miss out on most if them becuase there are so many different threads. I would love it if we had a sticky that everyone posted to for each species of deer so that they were all in the same place and easy to find. It would also be nice to have standard information like: pic, zone, elevation, time, ect.....

I guess I ask for to much, huh

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    All is for nothing, if not for GOD.....

"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me"

Thanks

Last weekend Early season 2012 146.jpg A-31
    (Story already posted)
    Last edited by GTEAM1; 10-15-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks

Got my D6 buck on the morning of the rifle opener, and a week later on the morning of the opener in D5. Only my 2nd year getting a deer, but it's 2 year in a row now!! 2012-09-15_09-58-14_458.jpg

Thanks

Voted with my failure, story posted in Mule Deer forum. Never even got a chance to go out w/ my A zone tag.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
    Am I the only one here that's little a bit frustrated with the success story post? I really enjoy seeing everyone's deer and reading the storys, but I think I miss out on most if them becuase there are so many different threads. I would love it if we had a sticky that everyone posted to for each species of deer so that they were all in the same place and easy to find. It would also be nice to have standard information like: pic, zone, elevation, time, ect.....

I guess I ask for to much, huh

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    ...and GPS coordinates

Thanks

Didn't hunt CA this year but got a deer in Oregon

Thanks

Hunted opening day in D7 and only saw a mess of yellowjackets and a bunch of road-hunters. After moving to Orangevale I grabbed a D3-5 tag and went back at it late season. I took advantage of the weather and pre-rut to bag my first buck on public land in D3. He measured an 18 1/3 inch outside spread and his full dressed and skinned carcass sans forelegs and head weighed over 90 lbs (must have been at least 150 lbs on the hoof)D3Buck2012 - Copy.jpg. I ended up packing him over a mile to the nearest open road. Focused on one area and I got to know it well. Too many novices move from spot to spot when they don't immediately see a legal buck in the area. Took me three years to learn you have to find a good spot and stick to it... I'd like to thank Cal Kellogg, Scott Haugen, and John Higley for their informative and inspirational articles in California Fish and Game magazine.

Thanks

Didn't hunt again this year!Moved to Oregon two years ago from North Dakota.Use to average one buck and three does every year(if drew buck tag)....Moved to Oregon and hardly see deer around here and its only bucks that you can hunt(mostly)...
    Am thinking of hunting in the eastern part of Oregon next season or just head to Montana and hunt with my brothers.
    Would like to have a blacktail mount though,it would go great with my whitetail and mulie mounts!
    I love my country-but fear my government!!

Thanks

Here is my 2012 California buck. I caught this guy at 2:30 in the afternoon on the last day. Fun hunt this year. I passed up 10 or 12 bucks, some bigger than this one. My partner and I were glassing this brushy hillside when this buck and 2 forkies started feeding in the shade. I dropped him with one shot but needed another when we got near him. Not the monster I was looking for but he will eat good! Three of us hunted together and we all took nice 4 pointers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can never make up

Thanks

No deer for me, but I was only keeping an eye out for one while I bear hunted, and I did get a nice bear. My husband took a meat buck.

Thanks

Is this for D16 only or including A-22 also?
    "I don't need to be the sharpest tool in the shed if I'm the sledge hammer."
    Former Staff Sergeant, USMC -12yrs
    Field Artillery Cannoneer
    Drill Instructor, MCRD San Diego
    2nd Degree Marine Corps Martial Arts Instructor-Trainer

Thanks

This is for EVERBODY. Just a way to see what kind of difference in success this group has compared to the rest of the state.

Fugaloo Foo-gah-loo

Thanks

Hmm.. dontcha kinda gotta remove the "I didn't hunt" option from the voting options? otherwise it skews the ratios.. You hunted and got one or not..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast