Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delicacy - eating deer heart, liver, and lungs????

Thanks

Default Delicacy - eating deer heart, liver, and lungs????

I keep hearing hunters eat and brag about how good deer heart, liver, and lungs are. I, personally, haven't tried it myself but was considering trying it this year...assuming I'm able to bag one. From what I heard, slicing all 3 organs and mixing it up is really good. But then again, I guess it all depends on how it is cooked. So lets hear it boys and girls LOL. Does anyone here have any experience on eating the three organs? How was it and how did you cook it up?

Thanks

Oh, and by the way, I saw people eating raw deer balls on youtube and it made me gag. EWWWWWWWW!

Thanks

Ah yeah! Let me know how that goes for ya huntingbret. I'll wait for the results before I try that one!..........as for raw deer balls "NEVER!!!!"
    An archer tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A bow hunter tries to see how close he can get to his.

Thanks

Every year, someone asks me to save the liver and the heart. I've eaten the heart and it's very rich but fine tasting. Liver I can't stand, no matter where it comes from.

Lungs.....not even curious!
    Life's short . . . Hunt hard

Quote Originally Posted by ltdann View Post
    Sometimes, my thoughts get bored and they go for a walk out through my mouth. That rarely ends well.

Thanks

Te heart and the liver are very good if you eat them fresh. If you wait a few days before eating them, the taste is not very good. Don't know about the lungs. That's news to me.

Thanks

I tried heart cooked on the grill last year... It was pretty tough and chewy. Cut up it reminded me of chewy calamari texture. I'd rather go for a nice cut instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Love fresh heart and liver, never tried the lungs and dont plan to. As far as buck nuts, I dont think so. I will eat the calf nuts when we process the calves but thats it. As for the heart and liver, I cut into thin strips and fry it and then make a light gravy and eat it that way. Also have to have a good sweet onion cooked with it and some bacon dont hurt either.

Thanks

I've always ate the heart of an animal I butcher.yes its a bit chewy but its only cause its the strongest muscle in an animals body. if you don't want it ill take it

Thanks

Liver and onions the night of the kill is a tradition. Done right, the liver is one of the best parts of the animal. Just don't overcook it. The heart is quite good as well.
    I've never heard of anyone eating the lungs, but I like the idea of using as much of the animal as possible.

Thanks

Some of the best things to eat are a little chewy......Abalone, calamari, clams....

Thanks

I've earn the heart before, in my experience it's best in stews. Liver is edible, and I like it as a kid(weird, I know) but as an adult and knowing that the liver is a filter, I don't want to eat it anymore. Never tried lungs, and not curious either. The elk I shot last fall had a good heart, and was excellent in stew. My uncle took the liver, and I destroyed the lungs shooting him. If u get a buck this year, the heart will be stew meat, and my uncle will eat the liver, and the lungs will be coyote food.
    I tell lots of stories, some of which are true.
    ProStaffer, High Altitude Hunters

Thanks

Geez, my phone can't spell. Pardon the errors in my previous reply

Thanks

Have tried heart/liver good stuff. Though the past few years I've just cooked it up for my doggies. And they go berserk on it. Course with one of mine if I let her on the git pile she'd be in heaven.

That one show with the hunting chef who eats weird game animals made deer tongue tacos or similar type dish./ Look pretty damn good.
    Judge Gideon J. Tucker, wrote in a 1866 ruling that "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Thanks

I love the liver and as mentioned eat it the night of the kill, me and a buddy each had our own liver to eat around the campfire, talk about good.

Thanks

I'll take it a step further even. I have a great family friend that always asks me for the head. He eats the brains, eyes, and tongue. Goes crazy for them! I've eaten lots of goat and lamb lungs and it is very good sauteed. Deer lungs I have not only because they're normally scrambled from the kill and I don't want to bother with saving the good parts. Many countries actually sell lungs for food. We do not here because of the bacteria possibilities during processing and packaging. Lungs spoil very quickly. When we slaughter goats and lambs, we saute the lungs immediately...delicious! They're cut up in cubes.
    I love Mother Nature and I thank her for allowing me the opportunity to explore her land!

Alexander Bourdaniotis

Thanks

Years ago, one of my Grandfathers cooked up the heart and liver the night my Uncle killed a buck. He cooked up a batch of bacon, then cooked the heart in the bacon grease. Gotta say...it was delicious. Not a liver man myself, no matter how you cook it.
    "Democracy ends when the government takes from those willing to work and gives to those who aren't"
    Thomas Jefferson.

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” John Adams 1826

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I'll keep the heart and liver, you guys can fight over the rest!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huntingbret View Post
    I keep hearing hunters eat and brag about how good deer heart, liver, and lungs are. I, personally, haven't tried it myself but was considering trying it this year...assuming I'm able to bag one. From what I heard, slicing all 3 organs and mixing it up is really good. But then again, I guess it all depends on how it is cooked. So lets hear it boys and girls LOL. Does anyone here have any experience on eating the three organs? How was it and how did you cook it up?
    Dude, call me a racist but I think you are missing something about your origin if you have not or will not eat deer organs. Visit your elder relatives when they get a deer, look at what dishes they cook, then you will know what I mean.

Thanks

Once you start eating that liver you cant stop, had mine pan fried with onions then we made sandwiches with mustard OMG died and went to heaven.

Thanks

If you look at my d3 thread theres a pic of me eating raw heart... It was really good... Liver is the yumm also.

lungs.... never had them

Thanks

I highly recommend you try the buck nuts.

Thanks

Can't beat deer heart and eggs for breakfast after the hunt.
    Don't think. . . feel . . .It is like the finger pointing away to the moon. . . Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

Thanks

Liver and onions for supper the night you harvest a deer is great. Not too enamored with the heart, tried it a few times and since then just tossed em.

Grandson arrowed a deer last week, and even though it went less than 200 yards, it took us several hours to locate it. It was laying dead in the sunshine. Some wierd sounds were coming out of its belly before we field dressed it --- so I just told the grandson to toss the liver.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....with all this talk of liver and oinions, it is making me very hungry for them and I just ate a good dinner too. Crockpot heart is wonderful also. But alas I have to wait till the 26th of Sept. before I can get my own... mmmmmmmmm

Thanks

Heart sliced thin dipped in egg, then flour with seasonings and then into the frying pan = dinner time!! Heart is the only organ I will eat.... and you know why? Because its the only one made out of MEAT!!!!

Thanks

heart liver lungs and brains scramble them up withsome bacon and u have a meal! whats wrong with you sissy as californians if you kill it EAT IT!

Thanks

horseshoer that sounds wild I'm sure if properly seasoned would be awesome. another fav is pig heart and liver, but I wouldn't consider pig nuts, no way no how, I cant imagine enough smoking would ever reduce the smell. ahhh liver and onions forever, I'm lucky to have a gf that loves em too.
    Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Thanks

The tongue is also edible. I usually just throw it in the grind pile, but sliced thin and grilled makes good taco/fajita meat.

Thanks

Heart and liver is great. We usually slice the heart, trim the fat and vavles, and dip it in flour with seasonings (garlic pepper, Lawry's,etc.) and fry it in butter....so good! Pretty much the same with the liver except add onions. The tongue is also good. Boil it ,skin it, slice it , and serve with chitney sauce. I'll skip the lungs...doesn't even sound good.

Moose
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can never make up

Thanks

Deer heart is GREAT! I have not eaten the livers because I always thought as a filter they need to be well done. Ihate deer well done it tastes like liver!:) I heard now you can eat liver rare. May try it again.

The best deer heart I have eaten, I rinsed and cleaned it up good and trimmed all fat off. Cut in slices 1/2 inch thick. season with Lowery's season salt, Garlic, and pepper. Fry some onions in a generous amount of butter, olive oil, and a little worchestersire sauce on low heat so the butter does not burn. When onions get soft turn up heat just a little and throwin the heart slices for no more than 2 minutes on each side. Do NOT overcook. Deeeeelicious!!! If I find out is is safe to eat medium rare liver I may have to hike that slippery old thing out too. Never tried deer tounge but beef tounge is great. Do they taste the same?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast