Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dove scouting report

Thanks

Default Dove scouting report

Had business down in Phoenix last week and came back a few days ago. Decided to check out the Blythe area and the IV on the way back. Both areas have been hit HARD by storms and wind over the past couple weeks. The wind did a hell of a lot of damage, wish I'd taken pictures. I talked to several locals while out poking around and they all said the same thing - worse than they'd seen in decades. In both the IV and Blythe I was told they got 3 hour stretches of pounding rain in the past couple days. Saw only a handful of whitewings and no mourning doves in places where they are usually THICK. My experience is that the whitewings move out late August. Went to a place south of Blythe that my brothers & I have been hunting for decades, not a single bird. It was pretty depressing. I was hoping to take my son on his first dove hunt (he's 6) but doesn't look like it's going to be worth the time & expense to get out there. Maybe the rain will stop and the mourning doves will come back. If the rain stays, it's going to be a ghost town. Hope you guys are having better luck.

Thanks

I will be dove hunting in Niland, on a citrus ranch. Been out there a few times just to make sure everything is still looking good. So far so good. Still lots of mourning doves and white wings, but the eurasian is whats mostly out there. Imperial is still the best in my book.

Thanks

Winchester, that's some sad news. I prefer to hunt that area each year. Since I opted to wait until Tues. to start my season, the news is double sad. I wasn't planning on scouting to much because I've been within 200 yrds. of the same spot for years. Time to rethink/reload.
    Arod, citrus can be a good roost, so a decent shoot. I hunted a friends out of Blythe for a few years. As long as no one puts pellets in the fruit it seems to work just fine.
    Gun Control is using Both Hands

It's the right thing to do.............Geesh!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by winchester270fan View Post
    Had business down in Phoenix last week and came back a few days ago. Decided to check out the Blythe area and the IV on the way back. Both areas have been hit HARD by storms and wind over the past couple weeks. The wind did a hell of a lot of damage, wish I'd taken pictures. I talked to several locals while out poking around and they all said the same thing - worse than they'd seen in decades. In both the IV and Blythe I was told they got 3 hour stretches of pounding rain in the past couple days. Saw only a handful of whitewings and no mourning doves in places where they are usually THICK. My experience is that the whitewings move out late August. Went to a place south of Blythe that my brothers & I have been hunting for decades, not a single bird. It was pretty depressing. I was hoping to take my son on his first dove hunt (he's 6) but doesn't look like it's going to be worth the time & expense to get out there. Maybe the rain will stop and the mourning doves will come back. If the rain stays, it's going to be a ghost town. Hope you guys are having better luck.
    Yeah, what he said. No dove around here... Maybe everyone should go out to Barstow LOL
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

Not many in the mtns, jumped just 4 today while bowhunting quail near Lake Arrowhead. Not seeing many around the 909 either, these storms we've had the past weeks seemed to have pushed a lot out of the area.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

My daughter reported, "as of last weekend there were still pleanty of dove to be found on the C.R.I.T." She's a pretty good dove hunter and I've relied on her reports in the past. I just wish I could get an update after this last week of 'weather'.
    Gun Control is using Both Hands

It's the right thing to do.............Geesh!!!

+ Reply to Thread