Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D5 predictions?

Thanks

Default D5 predictions?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were for the season ahead...OTHER than crowded, sucky, stupid etc., etc. I'm talking the effects of previous weather trends, burns (if any), and the like. Ya know...the normal banter. We didn't get to get out last year, but we want to make it a point to do so this year. Not sure where yet, but the general consensus seems, again, to be near the X8 border...Highland Lakes area. But who knows...

J

Thanks

There are deer everywhere and we have been seeing a lot of big bucks. From the Coast all the way to the Top of the Sierras.

Thanks

Positivity...I like that, Jerry! Good things to come for everybody I hope!!

J

CL&RR is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung CL&RR is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

I like this little heat wave, it'll make them more predictable. Last year we had such a late winter that it was so lush and green up high till very late in the season and the deer really never hit the migration. Hopefully this heat will wither some of that food source up high pushing them down a little earlier.

Thanks

heading up in the morning to check the trail cams , saw a really nice buck last weekend while putting cams up

Thanks

Some people will get deer... most won't. Lots of forkies. Someone will whack a toad.. maybe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDuckPro View Post
    Some people will get deer... most won't. Lots of forkies. Someone will whack a toad.. maybe.
    The vagueness is just funny right there! Love it

Ventura County (in the country not the city)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
    There are deer everywhere and we have been seeing a lot of big bucks. From the Coast all the way to the Top of the Sierras.
    I'm sorry but there are no deer in the woods this year. I just posted a thread in the mulie section where I mentioned that I have 5500 pictures on my game camera with NO DEER on most of them.

Ergo: Deer are an evil myth perpetuated by DFG and other unsavory characters as a nasty practical joke & in an effort for DFG to raise revenue so that they can continue their cushy lifestyle. There are no deer. I have 5500 (deerless) pics to prove it.

Well, there was a bump, a thump, a cloud of dust, and the smell of turnips wafting through the air...

Thanks

hope i remember how to post pictures if so this was d-5 SUNP0132.jpgim guessng the bear didnt want hs picture takenSUNP0133.jpgSUNP0134.jpgSUNP0135.jpgSUNP0146.jpg
    Last edited by twbowhunter; 08-11-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: bear

Thanks

The ramsey fire in D-5 will make things interesting there are also a few fires in my district the biggest was by spicer meadow near wheat meadow.. 12 days in the high country and no deers seen yet mostly down low by cherry lake and dodge ridge

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russ209 View Post
    The ramsey fire in D-5 will make things interesting there are also a few fires in my district the biggest was by spicer meadow near wheat meadow.. 12 days in the high country and no deers seen yet mostly down low by cherry lake and dodge ridge
    The Spicer Reservoir fire was still buring when I checked it out last week. It had been started by lightning from a storm that blew up from the south, presumably from the storms blowing across Central America and then moving up north along the Sea of Cortez through Mexico and into the USA. This particular storm was extraordinary in that it made it all the way up to northern California. Usually they just blow into Arizona and New Mexico and give them their annual desert monsoons.

I have seen only one doe in D5 and a few tracks not far from Spicer. Seems barren of deer there this year. Saw no bucks, even though I was out early at dawn, and also late at dusk.

There are always a lot of deer around Kirkwood, but that is private land, and I don't see how it can be hunted. Anybody else know?

I think D5 has been overhunted last year, and now the does may be alone, the last step before a deer population crashes and goes completely extinct. Ergo D5 does not look good to me.

Cherry Lake is D6 btw. D6 normally requires a big early snowfall to drive the deer out of Yosemite and into D6 to the west. To scout D6 you normally scout for terrain leading out of the park, then go into Yosemite and look around at the deer herds there. These will be the herds that will be pushed out by snow later.
    Last edited by Shoobee; 08-13-2012 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    I'm sorry but there are no deer in the woods this year. I just posted a thread in the mulie section where I mentioned that I have 5500 pictures on my game camera with NO DEER on most of them.

Ergo: Deer are an evil myth perpetuated by DFG and other unsavory characters as a nasty practical joke & in an effort for DFG to raise revenue so that they can continue their cushy lifestyle. There are no deer. I have 5500 (deerless) pics to prove it.

I agree.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CL&RR View Post
    I like this little heat wave, it'll make them more predictable. Last year we had such a late winter that it was so lush and green up high till very late in the season and the deer really never hit the migration. Hopefully this heat will wither some of that food source up high pushing them down a little earlier.
    The wild cabbage patches and other lush grazing are doing fine, still, and the springs around the mountains and ridgelines are trickling and seeping still.

So it is not the foliage or the water that would be driving the deer down. There is plenty for them up high at the 7000 and 8000 ft elevations to eat and drink.

Only an early snow would drive them down.

But even so, in D5, I did not see any bucks, I did not see any fawns with doe's, I only saw 1 doe and a few tracks.

There do not seem to be any bucks around.

If a doe has a fawn with her, then you know that there was a buck that mated with her since last November, the annual rut.

No fawns suggests no bucks.

I would like to hear from a DFG biologist who has actually seen bucks from his airplane in D5. Otherwise I am doubting it.
    Last edited by Shoobee; 08-13-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    The Spicer Reservoir fire was still buring when I checked it out last week. It had been started by lightning from a storm that blew up from the south, presumably from the storms blowing across Central America and then moving up north along the Sea of Cortez through Mexico and into the USA. This particular storm was extraordinary in that it made it all the way up to northern California. Usually they just blow into Arizona and New Mexico and give them their annual desert monsoons.

I have seen only one doe in D5 and a few tracks not far from Spicer. Seems barren of deer there this year. Saw no bucks, even though I was out early at dawn, and also late at dusk.

There are always a lot of deer around Kirkwood, but that is private land, and I don't see how it can be hunted. Anybody else know?

I think D5 has been overhunted last year, and now the does may be alone, the last step before a deer population crashes and goes completely extinct. Ergo D5 does not look good to me.

Cherry Lake is D6 btw. D6 normally requires a big early snowfall to drive the deer out of Yosemite and into D6 to the west. To scout D6 you normally scout for terrain leading out of the park, then go into Yosemite and look around at the deer herds there. These will be the herds that will be pushed out by snow later.
    I was on the fire near spicer I work for summit ranger district it is contained but burning inside the box

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    The wild cabbage patches and other lush grazing are doing fine, still, and the springs around the mountains and ridgelines are trickling and seeping still.

So it is not the foliage or the water that would be driving the deer down. There is plenty for them up high at the 7000 and 8000 ft elevations to eat and drink.

Only an early snow would drive them down.

But even so, in D5, I did not see any bucks, I did not see any fawns with doe's, I only saw 1 doe and a few tracks.

There do not seem to be any bucks around.

If a doe has a fawn with her, then you know that there was a buck that mated with her since last November, the annual rut.

No fawns suggests no bucks.

I would like to hear from a DFG biologist who has actually seen bucks from his airplane in D5. Otherwise I am doubting it.
    that interesting ....there must be something wrong with my camera SUNP0133.jpgSUNP0135.jpgSUNP0035.jpgSUNP0043.jpg

Thanks

Twbowhunter--funny!
    Any day in the outdoors is a damn good day.

Thanks

I'll be going up there this fall after going 0 for 4 in A-zone. Not sure where, but I'm looking at the area above Bear River Reservoir. Hoping to at least SEE a buck this year, where as I have never seen a buck during A-zone season... Never hunted D-5 before, but the general concenus is that if you put in the time and wear out some boot leather you have a good chance at getting a buck.
    CApighunter

Ventura County (in the country not the city)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twbowhunter View Post
    that interesting ....there must be something wrong with my camera
    HAH! I've seen those deer advertised as "yard art" in a couple of catalogs my mom gets. They have spikes in their feet so that you can stick them into the ground in your yard so they won't blow over. Lifelike because they are fully articulated and posable with synthetic fur. You can also get them as sheeps, turkeys, and pigs.

You can't fool us. There are no deer in the woods.
    Well, there was a bump, a thump, a cloud of dust, and the smell of turnips wafting through the air...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    HAH! I've seen those deer advertised as "yard art" in a couple of catalogs my mom gets. They have spikes in their feet so that you can stick them into the ground in your yard so they won't blow over. Lifelike because they are fully articulated and posable with synthetic fur. You can also get them as sheeps, turkeys, and pigs.

You can't fool us. There are no deer in the woods.
    now that is really some funny $hit !!!

Thanks

No bucks in d5 ya'all stay home!

Thanks

wow what a opener, this is going to sound like b.s but all we saw was bucks. the few does we saw were running with bucks but we had to of had one of our best openers, we had a few thunder storms and for the most part overcast days .........unloading now and in bad need of a shower so i will finish this in a bit

Thanks

We saw lots of bucks as well but never released an arrow. Got close to a few but never had the right angle for a shot or there was brush in the way.

Thanks

Shoobee, D5 is always over hunted. But somehow bucks still survive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twbowhunter View Post
    wow what a opener, this is going to sound like b.s but all we saw was bucks. the few does we saw were running with bucks but we had to of had one of our best openers, we had a few thunder storms and for the most part overcast days .........unloading now and in bad need of a shower so i will finish this in a bit
    ok so im getting back to it, so im going to try not to bore you with my bad story telling or terrable spelling but the just of it is my son spots a nice big forkey opening morning on the way to hunt the buck in my earlier post feeding on the side of a hill so i let him out and head up the hill a ways i watch him range the deer and a truck comes down the road from the opposite derection it happens to be someone we know, a guy and his son that we know just from talking to them over a few years of hunting the area and running in to them. so i tell them my son is after a buck and would they mind waiting a few minutes they said no problem , my son takes his boots off and heads up the hill as the buck feeds side hill and dosent even know my son is on him, ten minutes later my son comes trotting back lite footed telling me the buck went feeding over a little knoll so he throws his boots on and takes off again, he gets back on him and useing some trees to close the distance makes a 40 yard shot all while im watching threw my binos, the deer runs thirty yards turns and heads back the direction he came from over the knoll.......we get my sons arrow and there blood and that smell you dont want to smell , he said he really felt it was a good shot, but maybe a hair back and thought the buck took a step forward. we both saw blood down its side but i told him lets go back to the truck and give him an hour or two. while were at the truck we notice the guys i stopped were out of there truck (abought 125 yrds away) so we walk down to tell them he had shot the forkey and the dad says yea my son got a forkey to.. my boy looked at me and said he had a bad feeling and whats the odds of that. well you probally guessed it the bucked laid down 60yrds from were my boy stuck it and the guys son took a shot ............then like things cant get worse him and some others from there group that came up the road took off running after it, they were like ants on that hill running after it. foot prints every were! so the dad ask me what they should do cause he had never tracked a deer before (yea but it gets better) i tell him to round up his crew and go back to camp and eat a long lunch and we will meet him back there to help him at 3 , my son stuck him at 11 the kid 11.10 when we got back at 3 the dad says his sons arrow covered in blood so my son asked if he could see it, what we see is a arrow with a little hair on the broad head and one fletch with a drop size of blood on it (but it gets better) now the kid, well not a kid ,hes in collage some were, tells us he bought the bow on ebay got it thursday and that was the first time he shot it,i found were the buck bedded the second time bled and got kicked up by the group (ANTS) on the hill, never to be found. my son and i stay on that hill till dark and gave up hunting the next day to walk the hill all morning,we marked every blood drop with tape, went every direction in waist high buck brush and all while they were back hunting,it really hit me today how pissed i am that the deer didnt need to be lost, it bedded twice and got kicked up twice by people that didnt know what to do after the shot! my son is really blameing himself for being a little far back but i keep telling him it bedded in 60 yrds if i wasent bumped he would have had it taged
    Last edited by twbowhunter; 08-20-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

You two did the right thing with follow up. Big difference in the ethical obligations between you and them. Just stupid.
    Any day in the outdoors is a damn good day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdogg View Post
    You two did the right thing with follow up. Big difference in the ethical obligations between you and them. Just stupid.
    thanks snoopdogg ,the more i think abought it the next time i see them im going to let them know what i really thought abought how the whole thing unfolded im not normally that kind of person but im finding the older i get the better i feel to get it off my chest

Thanks

Their actions are sickening. Something similar happened to my FIL when he was a 12 year old boy. I don't understand it.

All I saw on Saturday was some lion tracks. =/

+ Reply to Thread