Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Negligent or accidental discharge stories

Thanks

Default Negligent or accidental discharge stories

Most of us I'm sure have had an ND. Seeing the thread about the guy in Petaluma who died at the range got me thinking about ND's, and firearms safety in general. Truth be told it was Bux-n-Dux who planted the seed in my head. It is easy to get relaxed about things like gun safety. Just like at my job, when I am working on somebody's house I show them the utmost care, and that attitude comes with a strict set of rules for me and my guys. It starts with the moving blanket being the first tool I bring in, just like always treating every gun like it is loaded and ready to fire by itself at any moment. And there are many other rules I adhere to so that our presense is only temporary and we leave the house better than we find it, like wiping the rim after you pee. Every once in a while I am reminded why I can't slack off on these principles. A wall gets dinged, a floor scratched, or worse something actually breaking beyond repair. There both the same concepts, It's just that lack of, or weakening of gun safety can take the ultimate toll.

So by sharing stories about your experience with NG's or ND's, we remind ourselves how easy it is make a mistake that could have kiled somebody. I'll share mine, please don't judge.

I was twenty years old. A new gun shop was set up right by my house that sold black guns. This was before Brady, so prices were reltively low. I got my hands on a MAK90 (Chinese AK47) semi auto rifle, with 5 30 round magazines and a scope on it. Being young and dumb and having never obtained any formal training yet I was checking out my bad ass gun one night in the living room. I had all the bullets out, all five magazines were loaded full, the gun and all the gun gear were laid out the floor so I could admire my new toy. I knew not to load rounds until I was ready to shoot so I made sure not to do that. But I was sitting on the couch with gun in hand and magazines in my lap. A few minutes goes by and the phone rings, it's my neighbor who I was buddies with and we talked for a few minutes. As time is passing chatting on the phone I am playing with the gun. Working the action, looking down sights, pointing it at the lamp, the tv, imaginary things in the sky...I was living out a Rambo movie in my mind. So as I was talking and firefighting, I unknowingly put a loaded mag in the gun, and racked the action chambering a round. A minute or two passes and I am just holding it in my lap chatting it up with my friend, now I point it at the floor and pull the trigger. BOOM!!! And and unexpected boom at that. My heart skipped a beat. I had to check my feet to make sure I still had them. My room mate was in the kitchen and there was just a shocked look on his face. After a few minutes I calmed down and we went and looked at the damage. The bullet went right through the floor, then passed through a 4x4 hit a rock and separated in to two pieces. Since that day I take gun safety very seriously but sometimes I do catch myself slippin. I just have to constantly remember the fundamentals, and always show people I'm with.
    Fluently vocalizing from my rectum

I love buying used guns.......No honey it's not a new gun, I've had that thing for years. look at all the marks on it!

Fugaloo Foo-gah-loo

Thanks

My first "real" gun was a used bolt action .410 my old man paid $25 for(I still remember going to old Dave Boas' shop to buy it). I was seven or eight years old. A few days later my grandparents took me up to the cabin for the weekend. Dad said I couldn't take my new gun because he wouldn't be there to supervise me. However, after assurances from my grandparents that I would not touch the gun without their supervision, I was able to take it.

We saw a covey or two of quail on the way up, but by the time I got out and loaded the gun, the quail had left. Grandpa would not go chase them with me, so I never fired a shot. When we got to the cabin there was a huge covey in the driveway. Grandpa said to load my gun and go shoot a quail while they unloaded the car. I chased them, but never got off a shot. When I walked into the kitchen of the cabin grandma said "That thing ain't loaded is it?" I said "No, see" and as I pointed the barrel down pulled the trigger. That was the first time I heard grandma curse. Fortunately grandpa had saved the extra linoleum that had been layed the month before. He was able to patch the hole good enough that my parents never noticed. In fact, they didn't find out about it until fifteen or twenty years later.

A few years ago my wife and I tore up the linoleum and refinished the straight-cut doug fir flooring. I had to replace a few strips of wood and do a few other minor repairs, but the .410 hole by the back door remains as a reminder of the importance of gun safety.
    Last edited by Common Sense; 07-25-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

Alright, I'll bite.

Only one, when I was alot younger, but still old enough to know better, due to safety classes when I was even much younger.

Do not really want to go into too many details about it though.

Holding a Remington 870, it was chambered and I thought the safety button was pushed, wasn't looking, had my finger in the trigger guard and shotgun across my thighs while sitting down.

Boom! goes the firestick!

This is what I should have known better about, keep the damn finger out of the trigger gaurd until ready to shoot.

Ended giving my dog who was nearby a heart condition and partial deafness for the rest of his poor life.

That particular shell is on my desk right this very moment. It has been at this desk for years and always will be to remind me.
    'Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.' - Ronald Reagan

Thanks

Never an AD or ND. I have been present several times including when my Bro shot a 7mm that literally parted my hair. Within an inch the bullet passed. Glad to be alive eating without a bib.

When I first started learning about guns my father and his friends were very strict about gun safety. Biggest rule then as is now was, "Booger picker on the bang bang only when it is safe to kill what you are pointing at." No booger picker on the bang bang it cannot go bang. Yes there are exceptions like leaning loaded guns against the truck falling down a cliff......... Most AD and ND I have witnessed came from holding the gun without a master grip, finger alongside the gun not on the trigger.

I feel for everyone who has had and AD or ND. Keep the basic safety practices regular. Never let them down. Be the one in your party to repeat them over and over. Yes people get irritated but everyone goes home too.

California Fish and Game is even changing the tests to include more gun safety. 10 percent of the test now is safety. I think this is much more important than what a duck looks like or what tree stands are best. Safety is the most important part of hunting. Best of luck to all and I pray I never hear of another AD or ND.

Thanks

I guess you'd call it an accidental discharge....when I was a teenager, my uncle and I did a little pheasant hunting in a field behind his house. When we got back to the house I realized I had not emptied the shotgun, so I pumped out the shells on the outside porch, which was a cement slab. I kicked out all three shells and BOOM!!!! One of the shells hit just right, or just wrong, on the cement and went off. Being out of the gun, the shell did not fire out the end but rather out the side of the casing. Luckily no one was hit, but you can bet your ass I never unloaded on a cement floor again.
    "Democracy ends when the government takes from those willing to work and gives to those who aren't"
    Thomas Jefferson.

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” John Adams 1826

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Been 2 close calls for me.

First was a guy who never used his safety on his shotgun when we goose hunted, took to much time to take it off safe he said. I thought I could bring him around, plus he had a great pit blind for honkers. It almost cost me a foot. He laid the shotgun on the ground one day as I brushed up the blind and his lab stepped on the gun and it fired. The shotgun was right next to my foot and I just held my breath as I looked down hoping my foot was still there. It missed by a couple inches, blew a quarter size hole through the plywood of the blind wall that stuck up above ground level. The dog took off running it scared him so bad. I left and never hunted with the guy again.

2nd time was on me. I had a handful of stuff from the truck and I grabbed my loaded .45 too. As I got in the door the pistol slipped and went down and BAM!! on the tile underneath me. I looked at the walls and there was chunks of 230 grain bullet stuck all around me in the drywall, some went through my legs but I wasn't leaking oil thank god. Never carry anything with a loaded gun in your hands except a flashlight if you are trying to see at night.

The other thing I've seen in person from near gun accidents is if you follow only one gun safety rule, make it muzzle control. If your muzzle NEVER covers anything that you don't want destroyed you won't shoot someone or someone's dog. The gun can go off at the worst possible time but if you have it pointed in a safe direction there is no problem except changing your shorts. You cover something with your muzzle that you hold dear you best be ready to live without it.

And lastly, don't tolerate bad gun safety around you, it almost cost me my foot. I remind the unsafe person once and if they continue, I leave or they leave. It's that simple. Bending gun safety rules will get someone dead real fast. The worst crowd for this is guys my age and older. They've never been taught gun safety in most cases since we are exempt from hunter safety education and they are set in their ways and won't listen many times. Don't let their years of hunting and age intimidate you, just walk away to live another day.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

I was primarily a paper puncher for years before I got my hunting licence back in 2007, but I had still had NRA safety training at a very early age.

I still had that mishap due to carelessness on my part, inspite of the safety training. Even with years of experience, it only takes one instant to change everything.

Keep aware and follow safety procedures religiously, and that will probably reduce most accidents.

I am somewhat gun shy now because of the above described experience, plus a few other experiences that were not any fault of my own.
    'Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.' - Ronald Reagan

Thanks

When I was much younger, yes, I put a hole in the wall. I went in to dads closet, to retreive his 12ga for some pre season cleaning. For some stupid reason, I touched the trigger, KABOOM! I had shot a hole in the wall, and not just any wall, my parents bedroom wall above the window. NEVER EVER again will I handle a gun without constantly checking the safety, muzzle direction, and just use common sense. Im constantly asking my hunting partners about their safetys and/or muzzle direction.

Ventura County (in the country not the city)
    Thanks

I had one when I was in my 20's.

My mom was digging in her closet and "found" this little .25 Cal Astra. She immediately gave it to me and I disassembled & inspected it, found ammo, and took it to the range where it promptly decided to jam. I cleared the jam and tried again. No dice. Cleared it again and put it away for later.

After the range session, I was inspecting the pistol and found the jamming problem. (I don't remember what it was because that wasn't what caused the discharge). As I was reassembling the pistol I somehow, and for some unremembered reason, loaded a full magazine into it, racked the slide, and flipped the safety on. I gently dropped the pistol onto its soft gun case and it promptly fired.

POP!

The bullet hit the fireplace and broke the glass screen. My mom came screaming into the room thinking that the worst had happened. Nope. Sorry mom.

Apparently the safety was defective and it would SOMETIMES allow the pistol to fire when on safe without the trigger being pulled. I know this because I tried it again and again and again until I got it to AD with a primer only case.

I sold that little pistol for a small fortune and never looked back.
    Well, there was a bump, a thump, a cloud of dust, and the smell of turnips wafting through the air...

Thanks

Never had one and never will. I adhere to the strictest of protocols, as do my girls. When it comes to firearms, we never become "lax" about safety. It is after all, a matter of life and death.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

The Universe, Milky Way, Earth, US, CA, IE, Chino, My House
    Thanks

Never, I'm perfect!

On a side note when i was a kid, I used to put 22LR in straws and shoot them in the air with rubber bands and watch them go off when they land? Unsafe?....maybe.
    Let just say, one day i spent about an hour pulling shrapnel out of my brothers leg before my mom got home. I don't recommend this as a pass time..... I'm sure my brother would agree.
    All is for nothing, if not for GOD.....

"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me"

Thanks

Never had one and never will.
    Only a fool would believe that. Good luck, I just hope you're not with someone if it happens.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread