Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two Days on Public Land

Thanks

Default Two Days on Public Land

Spent the last two days hunting my regular spots on public land near Fresno that have had birds all season and I didn't hear or see a bird. Is it the hunting pressure? Have all the birds been taken or are the Toms and Hens just getting quiet toward the end of breeding season. Very frustrating because just last weekend I was hearing and seeing birds everywhere. Anyone else experiencing a slowdown of activity? Are the birds still vocal and active on private land that doesn't get pressured?
    An archer tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A bow hunter tries to see how close he can get to his.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Spent the last two days hunting my regular spots on public land near Fresno that have had birds all season and I didn't hear or see a bird. Is it the hunting pressure? Have all the birds been taken or are the Toms and Hens just getting quiet toward the end of breeding season. Very frustrating because just last weekend I was hearing and seeing birds everywhere. Anyone else experiencing a slowdown of activity? Are the birds still vocal and active on private land that doesn't get pressured?
    Did you make it to the west side of the river or Ital B., any pig hunting at N. Fo.?............Bro Don

Thanks

Spent yesterday on the far side of the river but saw and heard nothing. Didn't go to the lake but my good friend Rouben pulled a bird with a 6" beard out of N. Fo, he wouldn't say exactly where though.
    An archer tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A bow hunter tries to see how close he can get to his.

baco is online now Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung baco is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

down south the birds have been on he move. Where we saw birds last week there were not any this week. But we did find a group of 10 tom/jakes running together and were lucky enough to take one.

Thanks

Congrats baco, all I can do is keep trying.

Thanks

I Feel you buddy I just spent 3 days in the bush myself with out even peep!!! Covered some ground too, hiked 5 miles into a closed road area knowing nobody else probably would. Lived in my hammock with no fire because I didn't wanna have to hike it again at 4 in the morning to get into position. Found some dryed tracks in the mud that lead to a bunch of feathers on my way out so either somebody else got him the day before I was there, or a Yote ate him up, either way I'm convinced he must have been the last Dam Turkey in Las Padres!!! SO now they are extinct....FML!!! I'm really having trouble couping with the fact my season might be over, Think I'm gonna play sick friday and sneak back out Locally just to try to pull of some kind of hail Mary!

Ventura County (in the country not the city)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motor-vater View Post
    I Feel you buddy I just spent 3 days in the bush myself with out even peep!!! Covered some ground too, hiked 5 miles into a closed road area knowing nobody else probably would. Lived in my hammock with no fire because I didn't wanna have to hike it again at 4 in the morning to get into position. Found some dryed tracks in the mud that lead to a bunch of feathers on my way out so either somebody else got him the day before I was there, or a Yote ate him up, either way I'm convinced he must have been the last Dam Turkey in Las Padres!!! SO now they are extinct....FML!!! I'm really having trouble couping with the fact my season might be over, Think I'm gonna play sick friday and sneak back out Locally just to try to pull of some kind of hail Mary!
    Where are you planning on going? I'm heading in on Friday above Santa Barbara on the trail to happy hollow and little pine spring for a scouting mission.

+ Reply to Thread