Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Texas Dall from BHCR.

Thanks

Default Texas Dall from BHCR.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334966414.735649.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1334966469.663749.jpg
    This was my first time hunting this ranch and it was my first archery kill(besides a rabbit). Believe it or not, this was a tough hunt. I set my mind on a Texas Dall and decided to make it challenging for me so I used my bow since I'm fairly new to the archery world. This ram had me chasing him all over the ranch, Big Horn Canyon Ranch is very steep property. Ended up putting 2 arrows in him and missed 5 times!!! I know, I suck. Lol. Overall, had a great time and I will be going back with my bow. Rifle would be too easy.

Thanks

Sounds like you earned him. Congrats, did you go during this HOT spell ?

Thanks

Yup, shot him today at 11:30am.

Thanks

I know exactly where that photo was taken. BHCR is a good place to learn about things like arrow trajectory and dressing. Stalked the goat/sheep herd once just for kicks, got within 18' before they moved. Stalk might be overstating it a bit. So, ya gonna have it mounted or what?
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

It's definitely not a challenge if ur using a rifle sometimes even a bow. I could've finished my hunt in 10 minutes if I was looking for a feral hog. They didn't have alot of sheep, only saw a total of 7 sheep and they weren't letting us get close to them. I chased this guy around for a little over an hour and he finally gave me a clean shot. It was fun, and a little challenging for me since I'm new to bowhunting. Yes, it is getting mounted. Need some more head mounts for my gun room.

Thanks

congrats! how did you like the ranch? was there a variety of exotic game or were those the only sheep you saw besides the hogs

Thanks

Seen lots of hogs, both feral and Russian boar. Only saw a handful of Rams. I was talking to the owner and he said they are going to get a good amout of exotics this weekend from the Y.O Ranch.

Thanks

I loved the ranch. Definitely gonna be going back.

Thanks

Good job.

Thanks

nice! i might give it a try and call them up.

Thanks

I just got my mount back from my hunt at BHCR. It was my first hunt two years ago and since then have been totally hooked. It was a great introduction to the hunting world. First time, first kill. Great looking Dall you got there, its going to look good on your wall.

DSCN0689.jpgDSCN5475.jpg

T.

Thanks

nice! where did you get your mount done at?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m48goat View Post
    nice! where did you get your mount done at?
    The ranch deals with their own taxidermist. It's $400, you pay $160 for a deposit and when it's done in a few months you pay the rest. Or you can take it to your own taxidermist I'd you'd like.

Thanks

Damn, that is a fraction of what Lyons & O'Haver charge. Their deposit is that much!
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Bruce? View Post
    Damn, that is a fraction of what Lyons & O'Haver charge. Their deposit is that much!
    That's just insane!!! My brother payed $450 for his deer mount @trophy room taxidermy in riverside. Keith did an excellent job in my opinion. I've heard of some places charging $700+ for a basic head mount. I can't believe they get business.

Thanks

I know this thread is a few months old, but im considering taking a hunt to BHCR. I am not a newbie hunter, so im guessing it might not be too challenging for me, but I just wanna get away for a day or two and a Texas Dall would look good mounted on one of my walls. Have any of you veteran hunters been here and did you like it? Obviously its not fair chase and it is fenced, but im looking for a good time, meat, and good memories. Would you recommend I give it a try??
    Last edited by arod50006; 09-09-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks

I've called chuck a few times and just never got around to setting a date. One thing that did stick in my mind was the owner telling me to call and check for animal availablity. He doesn't have all the animals on his website, all the time. He did say that the cooler months were better.

Yeah, a Texas Dall would look nice on the wall!
    Life's short . . . Hunt hard

Quote Originally Posted by ltdann View Post
    Sometimes, my thoughts get bored and they go for a walk out through my mouth. That rarely ends well.

Thanks

I am very excited. I just booked a two day archery hunt with BHCR in October. I am hoping for a Russian wild boar, and something with a nice set of horns for the wall. I will be traveling from the Chico, CA area, and am unfamiliar with the BHCR area. I was thinking of making a trip of it, and staying a few days in RENO (Cabelas for supplies) and then traveling south on HWY 395 to Bishop and doing a little fishing/ sight seeing for a day or two. Like I said I have never been out this way, any suggestions of any stops I can make along the way.

+ Reply to Thread