Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: World Record Red Stag 2011

Thanks

Default World Record Red Stag 2011

This was taken last year on the south island at Spey Creek Trophy Hunts.
    Pretty incredible animal.
    It is the new #1 in the world!
    640 sci
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jake_franklin; 03-17-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks

HOLY CRAP thats unreel.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slanttop357 View Post
    HOLY CRAP thats unreel.
    You're right, it is unreal. Literally.
    Foreigners have the concept that giant stags are running amok in NZ. Although red deer are the most common and numerous deer in NZ, the wild ones do not come nowheres close to the giant proportions that are depicted in magazines and videos.
    Those giants are pen-raised, pumped full of steroids and turned loose on private ranches just prior to the hunter's arrival. Not really a hunt. A 6x6 or 7x7 taken on public land is a genuine trophy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glass eye View Post
    You're right, it is unreal. Literally.
    Foreigners have the concept that giant stags are running amok in NZ. Although red deer are the most common and numerous deer in NZ, the wild ones do not come nowheres close to the giant proportions that are depicted in magazines and videos.
    Those giants are pen-raised, pumped full of steroids and turned loose on private ranches just prior to the hunter's arrival. Not really a hunt. A 6x6 or 7x7 taken on public land is a genuine trophy.
    OK i take that back. Holly $hit that ain't right.

Thanks

Like whitetails, huh Glasseye?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
    Depends. If you're talking about pen-raised whitetails that are fed steroids and other crap to grow freakishly huge antlers and then released on private property just prior to the "hunter's" arrival, then yes, just like some whitetails.

Thanks

Probably horrible eating anyway... I'll take a 2x2 any day over that. Tender meat > stringy, tough, old meat.
    THE WORST DAY OF HUNTING OR FISHING IS BETTER THAN THE BEST DAY AT WORK

Thanks

Default Red Stag in a "Barrel"

Since the Admiral is from NZ, I thought I'd check on this. The outfitter where this animal came from has 3000 acres in the S. Is. They say they have 300 red stag available to harvest which means they must have a lot more animals on the property. While I don't know about "Those giants are pen-raised, pumped full of steroids and turned loose on private ranches just prior to the hunter's arrival.", they certainly are captive herds that are bred for large racks and you pay for the size of the trophy animal by the size class (silver, gold, platinum) before the hunt. It is trophy harvesting. Last time I checked when I was in NZ, the going price for platinum animals was well over 30K. Yekes! As noted, the ones in the wild are more typical in their size and antlers. FYI, one of the reasons there are no wild (ferrel) elk NZ is that the Admiral's uncle, Bill Axbey spent many years after WWII as NZ government Dept Game & Fisheries officer where his job was to kill the elk (Wapiti) in the fiordland. He became a rather well known F&G officer, wrote several books on hunting including one on his elk adventures and even took the Queen Mother (not the Queen but the Queen Mother) fishing decades ago. Bill is dead but most older generation NZ hunters/outfitters either knew him or know the name.
    Last edited by asaxon; 04-24-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks

I heard it from a kiwi who worked on a game ranch and he said he had a stag follow him back to the pens after being turned loose. I suppose all don't operate the same but if those animals are worth that much money, why would you turn it loose any sooner than you have to and run the risk of it making its way onto crown land (public land) where someone can kill it for free ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
    Yup, them "wild" whitetails is chowing down on all the same corn and mineral licks the cows are using in IL, IA and IL. White acorns is about the only thing I've seen them pull of the other stuff for.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

By chance, the Admiral just sent me a picture of some deer in a paddock near Mount Hutt on the S. Is. of New Zealand. NZ deer.jpg

Thanks

Holy Frejoles! What a picture...
    Science flies people to the moon...Religion flies people into buildings

Thanks

i believe that ranches that market hunting in new zealand are required to be "High Fenced" this is not to say they are not fair chase (per their definition) as many of the ranches are quite large.
    Many trophy animals there and priced accordingly
    there are also a lot of ranchers that raise stag for sale to european restaurants and some that harvest the antlers during the velvet stage to dale to oriental markets as an aphrodisiac,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asaxon View Post
    By chance, the Admiral just sent me a picture of some deer in a paddock near Mount Hutt on the S. Is. of New Zealand. Attachment 70115
    Although I am looking on my phone, I am unable to see any bucks in this picture:) Looks a lot like CA

Thanks

I saw a stag hunt take place in spain. It looked like an awesome hunt. Does anyone know if the Spanish follow similar game management practices as that of NZ?

Thanks

I know this is an old thread but Glass Eye is spot on the money. Not an example of a true wild red deer in any way. A good 12 point stag in the wild is a great trophy.

+ Reply to Thread