Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Floating layout blind blind

Thanks

Default Floating layout blind blind

I've been pondering a floating layout blind. Last year I saw areas where the ducks wanted to be but the hike through the water was too far or there was no cover. I saw ducks avoiding the toles where I was just to land in the pickle weed that was 80 yards away. There are some great places to hunt but there's no cover. A layout blind would be great but it has to be waterproof. I'm looking at a lot of ideas. Styrofoam sneak boats, inflatable canoe/kayak and rafts. It has to be light, portable and stable. I've also been looking at coffin blinds but wounder how stable they are if they're not touching the bottom. I could tow a small raft out with a make shift cover over it and would be very comfortable. An inflatable canoe/raft could be pumped up on the shore and rowed to where you want to hunt or draged once again with a little cover it would be comfortable. I've seen the sneak boats on line but they're 8 to 14 feet long and require a trailer and they're not permitted on a refuge. I have a small motor home and a SUV. What have you seen or used?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freezer View Post
    I've been pondering a floating layout blind. Last year I saw areas where the ducks wanted to be but the hike through the water was too far or there was no cover. I saw ducks avoiding the toles where I was just to land in the pickle weed that was 80 yards away. There are some great places to hunt but there's no cover. A layout blind would be great but it has to be waterproof. I'm looking at a lot of ideas. Styrofoam sneak boats, inflatable canoe/kayak and rafts. It has to be light, portable and stable. I've also been looking at coffin blinds but wounder how stable they are if they're not touching the bottom. I could tow a small raft out with a make shift cover over it and would be very comfortable. An inflatable canoe/raft could be pumped up on the shore and rowed to where you want to hunt or draged once again with a little cover it would be comfortable. I've seen the sneak boats on line but they're 8 to 14 feet long and require a trailer and they're not permitted on a refuge. I have a small motor home and a SUV. What have you seen or used?

http://www.aquapodboats.com/order.php

Length 10ft
    Construction Sport - tough rotomolded polyethylene plastic
    Weight 62lbs
    Features 2 handles, 2 cleats, shock cords, and positive floatation foam

$600

Thanks

This is my other one. This boat is the glass 12'. Notice the fuel tank and over sized tool box in the back of my pickup. I recommend getting the plastic 10' one.

Thanks

In my red pickup I only have 5' after the toolbox and fuel tank take up so much space. I can fit 4 dozen decoys and gear and two aquapods in the back. I would strap it to the top of your rig. If you don't want scratches on the top of your rig then I guess you need to buy pickup or a POS car to take duck hunting.

I have used my aquapod as layout boats although not a good as a true layout boat, they are 1/3 the price and you CAN paddle them. I put the decoys in the aquapod and I have a 20' rope on the front that I drag it with. If I have to go very far or if the hike is hard, I will wear a pack frame and tie rope to pack frame.....notice first picture.

Thanks

Another note....

These boats are made in the USA in Ridgefield, Washington.

Here is another product that is good.

http://www.marshrat.net/ USA made too. I have spoke to the current owner (original owner died of hypothermia after he capsized in one of these, his son runs it now) and he is a nice guy too. I have a few friends with these and I chose the aquapod over the marshrat because the aquapods can float more weight and paddle a lot easier and will stay afloat in shallower water. I hunt a lot of tidal flats where you cannot walk in the mud because it is balls deep every step. I am 350lbs with my gear and I will put in a 60lbs dog and 3 dozen decoys and 100 shotgun shells. I don't have a problem floating. In my 12' aquapod It took an estimated 1100lbs to finally break the water mark. 4 guys and gear....we did this on purpose to see how much it could take.

both are good options but hauling weight is a major concern when you want to start packing layout blinds and multiple people and dogs across a pond to get to the birds.

I use my aquapod on almost every hunt and I even loan it to my friend and his kids use it to tool around when they go camping.

Thanks

I is very hard to hunt with a dog in the 10' model as there is no room for the dog unless the dog is in front of you and that worries me about the dog getting shot.

Thanks

Guys, first thanks being off season I didn't expect this responce! Second I have a Ford Exploder and an 81 Toyota Dolphin. I prefer the Dolphin for duck hunting becuase it has a refrigerator , double bed, heater, stoveshower and toilet. I have a bike and a trailer/three wheel cart I can put on back and don't need a trailer. I really can't go over 8 feet and prefer an inflatable that I can blow up as I reach the waters edge with a rechargable pump. I'm an ok carpenter and could build a floating blind but it adds a lot of weight to the back of an already weak coach. Besides it could cover my running lights and might be too heavy to tow with a bike. I could take the Exploder and put a boat on top or inside but

Thanks

why not strap it to the top of the dolphin? what is a dolphin worth in excellent condition? $800? big deal

Thanks

I have an air conditioner in the way. It would be a pain in the back. You should check out the prices on these things. I've been repairing mine a little at a time. There's a pretty good demand for these little motor homes. Mine has a 4 cylinder and 4 sppeed stick and get 18 mpg, that's almost as good as my Exploder.

Thanks

I am buying a duck boat this year and was just going to pick one up from bass pro for under $500 if I go down and pick it up myself... http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&appID=8113

b
    ut theses are some interesting alternatives thanks.
    KR
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

My getting quite old Cabelas floating coffin blind weighs about 70 lbs. It floats in 18 inches of water and is not very stable. Better off in 10 inches or less. You don't paddle it. On a canoe caddy ot rolls really nicely. It was one of the early generations of layout blinds. There are better products that would cover more situations. But, in the very cold it is awesome. There is about 2 inches of insulation on the bottom and sides. In a wind on a bitterly cold day you are quite comfortable. It brushes up very nicely. Both the aquapods and marshrats are very popular up here. Used ones seldom last long in the classifieds. I have stepped through sharpened twigs courtesy of beavers at least 3 times in 22 years. I have brushed against submerged barbed wire and thorns that have torn into heavy cordura nylon. I have always been intrigued by inflatables but their vulnerability in a lot of duck water , especially in the winter months has put me off of them. There are a number of shorter kayak models that will handle surprisingly hefty folks. I am personally looking for one my self for the refuges, I find many great ponds that are really mucky and hard to walk in. Having something to tool around in would be nice. And if I ever got down to my favorite fuge spots in Ca, ohh man.
    Judge Gideon J. Tucker, wrote in a 1866 ruling that "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Thanks

K rad, I've considered one of these but they are 11 feet long and rather wide. There are a lot of plans for lay out/sneak boats but all seem kind of big though stable. There's also a guy at grizzly that makes a nice rig that fits in his p/u. It hold his decoys and rides on a small cart into the marsh. I could make on that would fit on a rack on the back of the motor home but.... I also have a hunting partner who is handi capped. I'd like to have two blinds. That's why I'm considering an inflatable. Some have nylon outer shells so they'll be puncture resistant. The shell could be spray painted to help with the visability. I would also consider tucking a cordara material under the skin and into the inside so help avoid punctures inside. A couple tent pole in the ore locks and to the front will make it easy to camo/brush and if you use water proof fabric it will help in bad weather and make it warmer. If I choose a kayak or canoe I could make crab trap float out riggers to help stablize it. I don't think I'll need it in a raft. I know I'm not the only person with these thoughts and would sure like to find someone who has experamented with these water craft.

D3-5, Grizzly Island and various other outdoor locations
    Thanks

What I do is this. I go with Bux-n-Dux then I make him carry me out in a back pack...kind of like Luke Skywalker and Yoda.

yoda luke.bmp
    Last edited by db 183; 03-15-2012 at 09:07 PM.
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Thanks

My partner has to hold on to my shoulders in order to walk thru the marsh. It's not easy for him and he isn't happy about it but it beats not hunting. I usually invite him when I know I can get a blind because standing in the marsh all morning is tough on him. A coulple layout blinds would sure get him out more and not having to depend on me would make him feel better. I just can't find a place where I can try out all three options. I'd hate to buy one only to find out it won't do what I want.

Thanks

The stability factor is what always brings me back to the flat bottom boat. Plus having a dog and my son...I want to make a frame from galvanized pipe that clamps on to the gunnel. Then from that a PVC frame-work to put the blind grass over so I can have a light weight floating blind. There are alot of great home made rigs on the internet. Bottom line I think is to start with a stable platform or you might as well just hide and stand in the tuleys.
    TU member
    DU member
    CWA member

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

K Rad, I made pontoons for my scanoe. I used 3/4'" conduit as the main spar. At the end I used a 3/4" PVC compression tee. A 3 foot piece of 3/4" PVC with a tee glued on the end and two short pieces out either side is where you slip two crab trap floats. You can either fiil the ends with foam or glue a cap on them to keep water out of the pipe. Insert this into the compression tee and the pontoon is easily adjusted for the height of the boat. I attached 1" conduit thtoe cross rail of the boat and drilled a hole thru both the bar and pontoon. I use a clevis pin to hold it in place. I then drilled a few more holes in the pontoon spar so I can adjust it in and out for a wider spred if needed. I'll make something similar to this for an inflatable that will go thru the ore locks or side attachments.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by db 183 View Post
    What I do is this. I go with Bux-n-Dux then I make him carry me out in a back pack...kind of like Luke Skywalker and Yoda.

Attachment 69568

Yeah. I do that. Have you seen my new movie, The Avengers? It's coming out soon. I'm the big green guy.

Ron I can"t wait to see whatever it is you come up with. It will be the talk of the Grizzly sweatline.
    "But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back, up front their oughta be a Man in Black."
    -Johnny Cash February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003.

"You guys call each other from the duck blind? Man, times sure have changed."
    -My Father

If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass.

Thanks

The three wheel cart idea worked out very well! I didn't sell a single one, I gave eight away. The ol boys that got them were very gratful and they make their duck hunting life a lot easier. That's good enough for me. The floating three wheel storller/trailer/dog blind is also working very well. I have some stablity issues when pulling it through the open water but a simple detachable outrigger will fix that. This inflatable duck layout blind is occupying a good piece of my left field time (What you think about when your bored) but I think it will work. I wish I could find someone that has one to bounce ideas off.

Thanks

I still have my 3 wheel cart. The Decoy Stroller. See her in the background??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back, up front their oughta be a Man in Black."

-My Father

Thanks

Have you taken the seat out and replaced it with mesh? It really increases the capicity of the cart. If you would like I have a double wide here, give yours to an ol boy that's having trouble putting his waders on and I'll give you a double wide I built.They hold up to four bags of decoys and still push with one hand. An interesting thing I saw this yaer was a guy with a coffin blind that slipped into the double wide frame. He pulled it out of his truck with two bags of decoys and his gun and slid it right into the cart. slick as could be. If I don't like this kayak idea thats the route I may go.There are too many good places at Grizzly where a layout blind would rock. Just think how many spoonies you could shoot if you had one

Thanks

Thanks for the offer. My 3 wheeler folds up flat and fits great in my 4Runner. I'm gonna hang onto it for now, as I rarely have more than 18 decoys with me and it also fits my bucket right underneath. Also my Jetsled Jr fits on the frame pretty well. I'm making one small alteration this off season to it, and I'll be ready for another season of spoony slayin'!!!!!!!

bux-n-dux

-My Father

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freezer View Post
    The three wheel cart idea worked out very well! I didn't sell a single one, I gave eight away. The ol boys that got them were very gratful and they make their duck hunting life a lot easier. That's good enough for me. The floating three wheel storller/trailer/dog blind is also working very well. I have some stablity issues when pulling it through the open water but a simple detachable outrigger will fix that. This inflatable duck layout blind is occupying a good piece of my left field time (What you think about when your bored) but I think it will work. I wish I could find someone that has one to bounce ideas off.
    Freeze, do you have any pictures?
    TU member
    DU member
    CWA member

+ Reply to Thread