Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Look! Up in the Sky!! Drones replacing biologists in helicopter surveys ID. Hexakopter, FAA, UAV

Thanks

Default Look! Up in the Sky!! Drones replacing biologists in helicopter surveys ID. Hexakopter, FAA, UAV

Can a drone really replace a human on these wildlife surveys?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/02/20/2002030/drones-over-boise.html#storylink=misearch
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

Wow! This just might work. I had the opportunity to fly in both fixed wing and roto aircraft while doing surveys as well as animal captures. The pilots of those aircraft are exceptionally skilled at their craft. We still need their skills for less dangerous missions but if drones can fly the jagged peaks of the Eastern Sierras looking for the Eastern Sierra Bighorn Sheep and monitor the mountain lion population within that area as well, I say more power to 'em. UAVs have long "lingering" times which means more air time and they can do it at a cheap cost. Imagine doing a 12-14 hour coastline survey of sea otters with one flight of a UAV instead of three or four flights with a manned aircraft. Wow, this could really work well!
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell, English novelist

Thanks

Don't mind them looking at the critters, but I do fear "big brother" looking at people.

Seems to me that if the Constitutional "right of privacy" gives a woman the right to have an abortion; it should give ol Common Sense the right to walk in the woods without being watched.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

As I understand it, the stealthiness of the UAVs nakes them a superior choice and definitely cheaper.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

+ Reply to Thread