Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chunky Chunky

Thanks

Default Chunky Chunky

Most of the people who call me are usually looking for an English Stalking Rifle(single or Double), a late period American Rifle or a very Big Bore rifle...so I don't get to build very many Flintlocks. Once in a while though I get a customer who wants a specific flintlock built.

This is a .40 Caliber Chunk Rifle with a few special touches that the customer wanted.

The Barrel is an Ed Rayl, .40 Caliber, 48 inches long, 1.250" Flat to Flat with 1:62 twist. This makes for a very heavy barrel.
    Lock is a Chambers Ketland.
    Trigger is R.E. Davis.
    Rear Sight is stepped chunk sight.
    I hand forged the butt plate to match pictures the customer sent me. The Triggerguad I made in three pieces and soldered together, then set copper rivets...this was also made to match a set of pictures he provided. I also made the front sight and the iron forearm cap and Ramrod pipes and entry pipe. I also made the "t" plate on the off side and the wear plate.
    The Stock is Sugar Maple stained with Chambers Nut Brown and finished in oil.
    The metal is browned with R.E. Davis rust brown and oil finished.
    The only engraving is my makers mark and some letter engraving the customer requested on the "t" plate and the rear sight.
    Overall length is 63.5 inches and it weighs 21.5 pounds(hence the Chunky Chunky title) the rest of the specs(LOP, DOC, DOH, etc..) were built to his measurements.

I didn't do any precision load work up or file the sights, since this is a chunk rifle the customer will want to do the fine tuning himself for final load work and sight in. But I did run a ten shot string through it just to make sure everything was working fine and get a rough idea of how it was going to shoot.

Enough typing here's the pics:

Enjoy,

Colin
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law!
    www.stolzergunsmithing.com
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?

Thanks

That's a beautiful rifle, CS (as if that doesn't go along with your posts in general). I'm really digging the contour of the lock plate support and the cheekpiece in the stock. 1.25" flats? Why in the WORLD would someone want something that heavy in a .40?

/|. ,[____],
    l---L -=O|||||O
    ()_) ()_)~--)_)

There are two types of countries in the world today.
    Those that use the metric system and those that have been to the moon.

Thanks

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Chunk rifle was for a specifice competition. Very heavy, shot from crossed sticks.

Really lovely, Colin. How fast is the ignition? I've never shot a flinter, but know several guys who own 'em and they all say a tuned flashhole gives really fast ignition. It would certainly cure a flinch to shoot one, eh?
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

Thanks guys.

Chunk or "over the log" as it's called is a competion shoot that is done from the prone position with the muzzle end resting on a "log" or "chunk"(most guys make an adjustable rest). The distance is 60 yards usually and it's usually a 10 shot string. So the weight of the rifle doesn't make much difference since you aren't trying to shoot off hand.

Jim Chambers makes an excellent lock and his flintlocks are very fast. Larry Pletcher has a bunch of high speed videos of different locks on his black powder mag website. Chambers ranks up close to the fastest he's tested.
    This also has a white lightning flash hole liner installed so that helps some as well.

If you look at the target I shot, you can see that the hang fire on the tenth shot really opened up the group. The hang fire was probably caused by the fact that the flint was starting to get dull by that time. If you spend much time shooting flintlocks it'll make you a better shooter for everything else...in theory.

Colin
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law!
    www.stolzergunsmithing.com
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?

+ Reply to Thread