Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So can we shoot this one? (Falcated Duck, Rare Asian Bird, Makes Appearance In California)

Thanks

Default So can we shoot this one? (Falcated Duck, Rare Asian Bird, Makes Appearance In California)

Falcated Duck, Rare Asian Bird, Makes Appearance In California

FRESNO, Calif. -- A rare duck normally only seen in Asia has somehow turned up in California, drawing excited bird watchers from all over the U.S. and Canada to a wildlife refuge in the state's Central Valley. Wildlife officials say a male falcated duck, a bird common in China, was first spotted at the refuge on Dec. 8.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1193183.html

I'm only kind of kidding, I was reading in the DFG regs and can't tell if this random visitors are part of a legal take. And since the refuge is still hunting till the end of the month, are wardens keeping birdwatchers out of hunters way on Wednesdays and Saturdays?

If legal that would make a hell of a story and mount, not to mention freak out my birdwatcher coworkers.
    Last edited by crackerman; 01-09-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: cant spell for crap

Thanks

I would believe it is legal as the regs say 7 ducks and only mentions specific ducks (for example pintails, 2 per day) when there is a different limit on them then 7 per day. I mean you don't go down the list and read shovelers 7 per day, green wing teal 7 per day and so forth. In fact if there were 7 of those bad boys around you could take 7 of them the way I read it.

I'm betting it would be fun to watch the tree huggers whine and cry if someone does harvest that bird.
    Last edited by Caninelaw; 01-09-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks

It's legal, and the word is out! That little sucker has crosshairs on his belly if he leaves the closed zone before the close. It might be a private pond escapee, either way a rare trophy in California. It's a teal, so should be tasty too. Shudder to think of the public outcry if someone bags him. Might be good PR if he survives the season...is he banded?
    "Thank God they are not as intellegent as we who kill them, although they are more noble......and more able."

Earnest Hemingway, "The old man and the sea"

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have"-Thomas Jefferson

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." Steve McQueen

srjenningstaxidermy.com

Thanks

Boy that would be a nice addition to your Ducks on the wall.

Thanks

Been hanging out in the Colusa closed zone.........
    M.Q.

Thanks

I would take him in a heart beat and make some bitch'n flys out of his feathers!
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

When they say Rare is that how you should cook it ?
    ( Trying like hell to live the dream)
    Hoyt carbon element 70#, spot hogg hogg father , spot hogg wiseguy release, 340 grains FMJ, G5 montec 100 grains, ripcord rest

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dustin ray View Post
    When they say Rare is that how you should cook it ?

Haha!!
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

It would be a real shame if anyone shot this duck. Falcated ducks are extremely rare in California, and given the number of non-hunters watching this duck on a daily and hourly basis, it would do great damage to our sport if it were shot. However, the duck is taking his chances being where he is at, and I don't really see him leaving anytime soon, so as long as he stays in the closed zone, he should be fine.

Before anyone hauls off and calls me a PETA sympathizer or someone who is propagating the anti-hunters, just know that I'm a duck hunter, shoot my share of ducks, am a DU, CWA and NRA member who is also an avid bird watcher. No reason to shoot such a rare duck other than for a trophy.
    "But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back, up front their oughta be a Man in Black."
    -Johnny Cash February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003.

"You guys call each other from the duck blind? Man, times sure have changed."
    -My Father

If that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass.

Thanks

um....invasive species......FROM ASIA......take em!
    Fluently vocalizing from my rectum

I love buying used guns.......No honey it's not a new gun, I've had that thing for years. look at all the marks on it!

Fugaloo Foo-gah-loo

Thanks

Hunted next to the Colusa Refuge this morning. He didn't fly by but plenty of others made the trip back home with us.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bux-n-dux View Post
    It would be a real shame if anyone shot this duck. Falcated ducks are extremely rare in California, and given the number of non-hunters watching this duck on a daily and hourly basis, it would do great damage to our sport if it were shot. However, the duck is taking his chances being where he is at, and I don't really see him leaving anytime soon, so as long as he stays in the closed zone, he should be fine.

Before anyone hauls off and calls me a PETA sympathizer or someone who is propagating the anti-hunters, just know that I'm a duck hunter, shoot my share of ducks, am a DU, CWA and NRA member who is also an avid bird watcher. No reason to shoot such a rare duck other than for a trophy.
    On the other hand...we must remain vigilant of the Asian Bird Flu. ill.gif
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

No reason to shoot such a rare duck other than for a trophy.
    Chances are great I would shoot it first, and figure out what it was later. Unless I already have my sprig or hen mallard (and had to be very selective), if it flies it dies. Right at shooting time and on foggy/hazy days I dont always know what type of bird it is until I pick it up.
    M.Q.

Thanks

Sounds like another illegal alien invading our state looking for a handout!

Thanks

Look guys. Most of you are saying you would bag this bird and some are saying that you won't. The correct answer from all of you is to NOT harvest this bird. As tempting as it sounds to mount a trophy on your wall of the rarest waterfowl species in California, it is not wise. This is a very rare bird. Very. So let the little guy live and enjoy the sheer beauty of such a bird. Who knows, maybe with this little dude coming around here it might draw more to come in.

Thanks

If it's a rare bird on earth, then of course don't shoot it. Only rare in California, put it on the wall! Am I not supposed to shoot blue geese in the Pacific flyway either, oops too late.
    Last edited by rvrrat; 01-17-2012 at 10:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread