Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions For Wingbone Call Ferrules

Thanks

Default Suggestions For Wingbone Call Ferrules

I did not get to go turkey hunting this weekend because everyone else had different plans on where my presence should be on this last holiday weekend.

So in revenge, I decided to make a figurative lemonade by making a wingbone turkey call and drive everyone nuts with it until next spring.

Not everything is right about this call, because it was made from the hen turkey we had for TG dinner. So the problem is it was cooked before construction and not from a wild bird.

Cest la vie, I will still have my revenge.

It was bleached in boiling soapy water and a small amount of bleach and it is not permanently glued together yet.

I used broadhead hot melt glue to place the pieces together, so I can take it apart and rebleach it if necessary.

The call was just rinsed after grinding the bell portion in just before the photo was taken and for some reason the call looks darker than it really is in the photo.

The Humerus horn section bleached much better than the ulna (center) and the radius (mouthpiece), which could have fit a little better to the center section than I would have liked.

To close that section off better what possibilities for a ferrule might anyone have?

Here is the call.
    Revenge Object.jpg

This is the first call of this type I ever made, so I know it could stand some major improvements, but I just want suggestions for ferrules or whatever might make it look better.
    Last edited by Stonepointer; 11-28-2011 at 06:04 PM.
    'Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.' - Ronald Reagan

Thanks

Stonepointer,

What part of the wing is that made from?

The "shoulder" or after the first "knuckle" of the wing?
    Science flies people to the moon...Religion flies people into buildings

Thanks

It would be towards the shoulder.

These would be equivalent of our bicep/tricep area and the forearm; the pointed wing tip of the turkey would not be used.

I guess like cutting off the wrist and throwing away the hand, but keeping the rest of the arm.

Here is some links to the articles I used in making this call.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/ou.../89818437.html

&

http://www.customcalls.com/makeawingbonecall1.htm

The call is suprisingly loud, but takes some amount of practice to get a proper yelp.

I might decide to wrap it with colored silk thread or a leather wrap for a joint ferrule.

As gross as this call might seem to others, it definitely does make the sound of a turkey with the right technique.

From what I have read the best bones to use should be from a wild hen and should be extracted before cooking.

The hen I cooked was not wild and it was cooked so long and proper the meat just fell off the bones.
    Last edited by Stonepointer; 11-29-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    'Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.' - Ronald Reagan

Thanks

One other thing, when working with bone use a dustmask.

Bone dust is very bad for the respiratory system and old bone contains potentially harmful bacterias.

Some people who work in bone will only work with it in a small tub like container filled with water and cut, grind, and file it underwater.

Working outside with a dustmask is a good idea.
    Last edited by Stonepointer; 11-29-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks

righto! Thanks for the information.
    Science flies people to the moon...Religion flies people into buildings

+ Reply to Thread