Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: San Diego pig hunting

Thanks

Default San Diego pig hunting

DFG states that there seems to be pigs in the San Deigo area. Has anyone ever hunted that area?

Thanks

yes its really difficult do to tons of private properties and indian land

Thanks

Have you pulled any pigs out from there?

Thanks

no luck most of them are hanging out on the farms but theres a few people on here who have on public land but I doubt theyll tell you where

Thanks

Here's what the DFG 2010-2011 pig take report says about San Diego County...

San Diego 8 0.22%
    That 8 pigs total for the county for the year or 0.22% of the take in the state. Doesn't sound like much of a hot spot to me.

Thanks

No or low hunting = low pig totals for any area. I hunt turkey in N/E San Diego and have seen lots of pig signs. I'd love to run into group of pigs... when we turkey hunt I always have some slugs handy just in case.....

Start your research here Santa Ysabel.

Quote Originally Posted by Caninelaw View Post
    Here's what the DFG 2010-2011 pig take report says about San Diego County...

That 8 pigs total for the county for the year or 0.22% of the take in the state. Doesn't sound like much of a hot spot to me.

Thanks

I've talked to ranchers and they tell me they have pig problems but that's as far as we got with that we didn't get a chance to get permission due to not enough time and ranchers not wanting to allow hunters on there properties

Thanks

In the past 18 months, I've killed two DIY public land hogs in SD, and my hunting partner has whacked one (a monster 300lb.+ boar). See the link. http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...ublic-Land-Pig

Thanks

Great information thanks guys!

Thanks

I am looking for where I can hunt for pig and deer with my son. Since pig is all year, I figure I try with that. I have been net-surfing and saw something about Cleveland National Park and pig hunting on public lands. I am just trying to figure out this whole D16, G13 zone thing.

Is there a zone for pigs too, or is that area all emcompassing? How does that work?

My son and I got our teeth cut into WV white tail hunting. They were all on private land, which was cool because my cousin had the hook ups.

Any advice will help. I hope I gave a little bit of useful info too! :)

Thanks

pig doesnt have a zone its no limit on pig you just need to buy a tag for every pig you take(before you hunt) and hunting is all year long there is no season. as for where I would start scouting and talking to people forest rangers dfg ranchers friends any of those can help out good luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ManCalledHorse View Post
    I am looking for where I can hunt for pig and deer with my son. Since pig is all year, I figure I try with that. I have been net-surfing and saw something about Cleveland National Park and pig hunting on public lands.
    If you look back on this forum you will find a couple of long treads were a group of JHOers went on a hunt to find this "mythical" pigs in Cleveland National Forest -the ones the gov was going to plan to eradicate. I think it was last summer as I recall the weather being hot. It is a fun read about their hunt - the bottom line was they never did find one. Chef Todd was one of the people involved so you might send him a PM to get the low down. Sounds like you can do lots of hunting for them but very little shooting - it will save on ammo...

Thanks

Finding wild hogs, on public land, in Southern California, is extremely difficult. I've been fortunate enough to have whacked four (all with bow) in the last two years.....but, it was after a LOT of time and effort. I scout all year long, including while I'm deer hunting - everyone already knows what to look for: cover, food, water, rooting and tracks. Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks solus! I am just figuring out where all the spots are. When I took my safety class, the instructor kept talking about D16 and G13 and some X zone. But he also said pig hunting has been overlooked in SD, but there supposed to be a lot of ferral pigs. Maybe I should start hanging out at local feed stores to network with landowners. Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated! :)
    )

Thanks

Thanks Wild1! My wife, son and I are planning to take a trip to Cleveland National park this weekend to start sniffing around. That is the only place I heard that is public lands so far. Are there anymore I am missing?

Thanks

LOL! Thanks asaxon for the info. I just don't want to spend money (other than the necessities) for hunting. I want to go somewhere where I can take my son to some kind of open range to hunt, instead of private "for profit" hunting lands. I have seen the pics and heard of pigs and deer taken here locally in SD, but contrary info is just that, contrary. I did see the DFG stated that only 8 pigs (I think that is correct) was taken last year locally (of course it was counting the ones tagged and claimed, I am guessing). Man, There has to be more out there.

BTW, what does JHOers mean? -Still Learning :)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ManCalledHorse View Post
    LOL! Thanks asaxon for the info. I just don't want to spend money (other than the necessities) for hunting. I want to go somewhere where I can take my son to some kind of open range to hunt, instead of private "for profit" hunting lands. I have seen the pics and heard of pigs and deer taken here locally in SD, but contrary info is just that, contrary. I did see the DFG stated that only 8 pigs (I think that is correct) was taken last year locally (of course it was counting the ones tagged and claimed, I am guessing). Man, There has to be more out there.

BTW, what does JHOers mean? -Still Learning :)
    JHOers = Jesse's Outdoor Hunting people. As I said, the thread (link below) and you will learn a lot about their experiences in Cleveland NF. Experiences etc but no pigs...

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...ational+forest
    Last edited by asaxon; 11-30-2011 at 12:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread