Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CAn I hunt Jacks and Quail with lead shot? KERN County area

Thanks

Default CAn I hunt Jacks and Quail with lead shot? KERN County area

I was norh of Mojave and saw lots O jacks and quail.. Can I use lead shot??

Thanks

I dont think so quick ref, check the map on the big game booklet, it shows led and none led areas.

Thanks

The Lead-free rule is only for BIG-GAME and NON-GAME in the Condor Zone.
    You can use Lead on SMALL-GAME and UPLAND-GAME

Thanks

according to the guys at fhl it goes for upland game as well. I called to ask them during dove season and they told me non-lead ammo only even for upland game. the ammo I found at basspro(steel shot) was only a dollar more

Thanks

Be safe check with DFG..
    Gordon Countryman (sportyg)
    Founder:Hunter Helping Hunters USA
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC
    MBR: TRCP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    according to the guys at fhl it goes for upland game as well. I called to ask them during dove season and they told me non-lead ammo only even for upland game. the ammo I found at basspro(steel shot) was only a dollar more
    FHL is 100% lead free, just like Camp Roberts and Tejon Ranch. That is Their Own Rules. Otherwise you can find the info here on the DFG website
    http://dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/condor/

After nearly a full year of public testimony, discussion, and environmental analyses, the Fish and Game Commission modified the Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game (Section 353, Title 14, CCR) in December, 2007 to prohibit the use of projectiles containing lead for hunting deer, bear, wild pig, elk, and pronghorn antelope in areas designated as California condor range. Modifications to Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Mammals (Section 475, Title 14, CCR) were also adopted to prohibit the use of lead projectiles in the same areas when hunting coyotes, ground squirrels, and other non-game wildlife. These regulations become effective July 1, 2008.
    If you hunt in this area, you will be required to use nonlead projectiles to hunt big-game and non-game species beginning July 1, 2008. In addition, while hunting these species in this area hunters may not possess any lead projectiles/ammunition and a firearm capable of firing that lead projectile or ammunition.
    NOTE! Lead Projectiles are still legal for hunting upland game species within the nonlead zone.

Thanks

Dirty Dave is correct. Techniquely, if you have a valid big game tag, you can't have a shotgun with lead shot(even if you have a rifle with lead free ammo). I cannot imagine Mr. Greenjeans citing you for that infraction, so while deer hunting in D8 I brought along a shotgun with lead birdshot.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

I see thank you dave for clearing that up

Thanks

You can hunt all birds and small game with lead shot. Jacks, cottons, and birds are good to go. You may have lead shot and your dear tag so long as it is BIRD SHOT. YOU MAY NOT POSSES LEAD BUCKSHOT IN THE LEAD BAN ZONE, PERIOD.

I also don't think you can have lead centerfire ammo at all even if you are hunting jacks or cottons with it. You would have to hunt small game with rimfire if you want to use a rifle and lead.

You can't hunt ground squirrel with lead either.

They made it illegal this year to shoot coyote with rimfire for this reason I believe. You out rabbit hunting with your 22 rimfire legaly and pop a coyote illegaly then let it lay. They put a stop to that. Makes my rimfire useless as I about had a heart attack when I had to pass up a coyote at 50 yards while rabbit hunting this summer.

North of mojave is not in the lead ban zone. Last time I checked the lead ban zone stops around lake isabella and does not go east into the desert.Lead ban is WEST of mojave, not north.

I have been stopped in the lead ban area and the warden saw me take a rabbit and checked my game bag that had quail. He used my lead shells to make sure I had a mag plug in the gun and that is it. He mostly wanted to know about my classic 1940 Ithica 37.

I bet they end up with a ban on crow hunting with lead as most people leave them lay.

Its pretty easy logic. If you usualy leave all or a substantial portion of an animal in the field then no lead. If you usualy take it all home your good to go. Small game and birds go home with you and leaves just the tiny piece of guts. Big game leaves a huge gut pile and varmints don't go home at all most the time aside from the pelt.

Welcome to CA and give Barnes Ammunition a big thanks for encouraging this by saying lead free is just as effective and will cost the same price to hunters. Barnes is as bad as the tree huggers.
    People who hug trees shouldn't live in wooden houses!

Thanks

With the reasoning above, I'm surprised that jacks are classified as small game & not non-game!

+ Reply to Thread