Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: East side of Lake Oroville for turkey/deer?

Thanks

Default East side of Lake Oroville for turkey/deer?

I live and go to school in chico and have had a pretty slow season in d3-5. This weekend is my last chance to score a buck and I heard a little bit about the Craig Saddle Rec area. Does any one know if it is open to public hunting? I'm also looking to scout out some turkeys for the fall season, if anyone can point me in any kind of direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Hey bridges, I used to hunt there....years ago...used to be turkeys and found some decent sheds up high just below the houses...we hunted the spring turkeys with some not much success. Don't know if the deer are that abundant but like I said we found some decent sheds. Check the regs I think it's archery or shotgun only not sure. Another spot by you is cal ida up 70 by downieville? No major migration yet but I've hunted there and it's nice country. Good luck.
    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Thanks

You can also hunt the Cascade area, but most of that is winter grounds and without the weather this year, you'll be hard pressed to find a buck. You can also try up hwy 162 up towards Bucks lake but the deer population is really down in that area.
    If you know what you are doing, you're not learning anything.

Thanks

I went up and checked it out today, saw a few hens right away that were on private property on the border and a few deer trails. I didn't find anything about rifle restrictions, but i ended up packing my bow just to be safe. I've been up near buck's lake once a few weeks ago, but i didn't have enough scouting done to know the area well enough.

duckdude is offline Member Moving Up In The World duckdude
    Thanks

Jbridges,
    If your talking about hunting deer within the Lake Oroville State Recreation area, it's open for turkeys but not deer.

As mentioned, the Cascade and Bucks Lake areas within the Plumas National Forest are marginal at best, but at least you'll have a chance.
    DD
    "I'd never be a member of a club who would have a guy like me as a member" Groucho Marx

+ Reply to Thread