Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carrizo Plains??

Thanks

Default Carrizo Plains??

i have not heard anything about the carrizo plains im thinking about going to hunt there have anyone went there yet or scouted it out? does Anyone know were i can hunt up some quail and chukar near lancaster palmdale or LPNF ! i will be going hunting tomorrow ...if anyone can Pm a spot id appreciate it! i never got a chukar will be my first time chukar hunting .
    Last edited by birdhunter23; 10-22-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks

I guess not.

Thanks

Not in Carrizo i cant help you. There are plenty of chukars other places. Try Southern Sierras and Apple Valley, Barstow area.
    Summer had reduced the river's flow to a sluggish current. It was well within the banks carved by spring melts, the shallow water running crystal clear. But it was water- life-giving, life-sustaining water. This Calder Range by Janet Dailye

Thanks

man you are in an excellent spot there around about a billion quail in the angles NF, up around tahachpi and lake isabella. Carrizo has quail and chukar, LPNF is also loaded with quail. Just get out there and check it out. Chukars are in the rockiest areas/mountains with permanant water of some kind in the area. Quail are in the thickest and nastiest brush you can find. Its daunting to locate them in such big country but once you find a drainage that holds birds it will likely hold them every year. Good Luck.
    People who hug trees shouldn't live in wooden houses!

Thanks

try around Kern Land Company. I have hunted there for years. you have to walk in about two miles. Lots of quail. Don't be afraid of the BLM ladies. you can hunt there. they try to scare people off from hunting. Just call there bluff. Good Luck

Thanks

You will need to do a LOTof walking and driving.
    There are only a few legal roads that lead up out of the plains into the mountains. KLC is a spot that most already know about and very popular.
    The real clue is to find water (even a dribble), doesn't matter if it is dove, quail, chukar, pigs or elk they all need water.
    Almost all of the Carrizo Plain National Monument is BLM land and open to hunting, do not let the rangers mislead you. They would like to see no one (including the historic cattle) out there. They are very protective of the Painted Rocks and the areas that have antelope, if you steer cleer of them you should have no problems. It is a huge place so be perpared,it is not a place for the weak of heart, bring extra water for yourself and your vehicle and your dogs, and never drive off the main roads especially after it rains.
    A BLM employee killed herself a few years ago because she was not not getting her way and the land was still going to be open to grazing and hunting...
    Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

where is kern land comppany?

Thanks

Don't remember where I got this map?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Comes from the BLM website on Carrizo Plains. The website also contains information about the plains.

Thanks

KCL is the southern most "campground" off of Soda Lake Rd. and is very well known.
    Thanks again to map for his great input...
    Last edited by easymoney; 10-27-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

Here is a map from the BLM website.

Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

Here is the link for the BLM OFfice Map. It's a beauty!

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...efmapvert1.pdf

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk

Thanks

That is the map I tried to cut n paste in the previous posts, yet did not show up...
    Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

Thanks

dtj6ppc,

Thanks, that map matches my data a lot better than the neat & clean boundary on the BLM Office Map.

easymony,

The Recon Hunt Public Land option for $9.99 per year is the way to go, and it matches the BLM Map that dtj6ppc posted. At present I'm using my son's 7 day free trial, and for sure I will purchase it. Also, it's dead nuts for the Oahu Public Hunting Areas, so I will need it if I hunt hogs again in Hawaii? Also, matches the Davis Cal Protected DB.

However, I can't get the Public Land option to work with the Server.

Sent from my iPhone/Tapatalk
    Last edited by map; 10-28-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Need new glasses to read the smartphone screen

Thanks

i went up in the hill bordering carrizo opening weekend, We parked and get the labs out and I say theres a few quail right there, ended up being a covey of about 100 birds, the 3 of us ended up with 3-4 each and we went to a different location, jumped up another 50-60 birds, got a few each, as we were about to leave, i hear chuckars up in the rocks and we make a push towards the top, cousin ends up getting two. went to anther spot and jumped up another 75-100 birds out of this covey we all ended up with our limits. it was a good day 12 miles hiked up and down the hills. there are plenty of birds there was plenty of water in the troughs, even got a few shot at a coyote, now i cant hear out of my left ear'
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power

Not only is life a bitch, but it is always having puppies

The difference between sex and death is that with death you can do it alone and no one is going to make fun of you."
    Lonnie Terrell

Thanks

Chuckars in Carrizo plains. I have never seen any chuckar in Carrizo plains, I have seen them on the Timbler range which is North of Carrizp plains. I am just a little curious what was the general area that you hunted.

+ Reply to Thread