Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SF bay sharking

Thanks

Default SF bay sharking

Had a good time yesterday (10-6-11) on the cal dawn for sharks. It was a slow bite and we only had a small window for the incoming tide but we made the most of it. My fishing buddy Henry started the day off with a nice 180 pounder the first 30 minutes into the soak. His daughter was next with a nice 80 pounder and then 20 minutes later it was my turn. I hooked into one about 150 pounds. The big fish had a baby porpus in its belly and mine had part of another 7 gill shark in its belly. All the fish were done by 10 am but we had plenty of cocktails and drinks to have fun. We were boarded by F&G, they actually cost me a fish as I was getting a great bite when they came up and spooked my fish away.... Oh well... THe officer who came aboard was one of the guys they featured on Wild Justice when the did the show in SF. It was funny and we gave him a bad time and asked for his autograph and such..... It was all in good fun and he had a great attitude about it all. We even took a picture with him. He was trying hard not to laugh. We are going again on the 27th of this month. Even with only 3 fish caught it was a great day away from work and the company on board was awesome. We even got to watch the blue angels practice for fleet week, those F-18's are amazing!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Looks like fun! Do you use a big piece of cut bait, and fish after chumming? I've never fished for them.
    Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

Thanks

Very nice. We went out to the same area you are at earlier this year and came home with 3 Leopards.

Thanks

We used salmon bellies, and other scrap fish pieces. The 7 gill and soup fin are mainly bottom dwellers so there was no chumming involved. We used 1 pound weights and a 10 foot cable leader and a 10/0 hook. It was a great time. We had a great bite on the trip when we went on the 27th. There were 14 people and we landed 16 sharks, 9 seven gill, 5 soup fin, and 2 leopards. I brought home over 80 pounds of shark filets. They have been great eathing!!

Thanks

I go fishing a lot, but haven't gone shark fishing. Sounds like fun! What's the meat like? Is it soft?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCo View Post
    I go fishing a lot, but haven't gone shark fishing. Sounds like fun! What's the meat like? Is it soft?
    Ever have Swordfish? I normally eat Thresher and it's boneless and a little darker and gamier.
    Science flies people to the moon...Religion flies people into buildings

Thanks

Its all dense white meat, all boneless. We BBQ it just like a beef steak and it stays together well on the grill. There is little to no flavor so marinade it well or really season it up. Its also great deep fried with a heavy beer batter.

Thanks

Hey congrats, only sharks I've caught were 3 - 4 foot sand sharks off the coast of Carolina.
    THE WORST DAY OF HUNTING OR FISHING IS BETTER THAN THE BEST DAY AT WORK

+ Reply to Thread