Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: non lead slugs for a smooth bore shotgun

Thanks

Default non lead slugs for a smooth bore shotgun

Does anybody have recommendations for non lead slugs that aren't sabots? I am going to FHL next weekend and I would like to have some in case we can only get on the shotgun areas. Also, if anyone knows where you can buy them on the central coast that would be even better.

Thanks

Thanks

Only one I know of is the Dupleks 1oz steel slug
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...sting-_-769959

Thanks

+1

Depending on the shotgun, there is a screw choke that is rifled. It's ok to about 75 yds. It'll give much more variety in the choice of non lead slugs.
    Life's short . . . Hunt hard

Quote Originally Posted by ltdann View Post
    Sometimes, my thoughts get bored and they go for a walk out through my mouth. That rarely ends well.

Thanks

What kind of shotgun do you have? Rifled barrels are pretty cheap for Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's

Thanks

It's a Beretta 3901. I might look into a rifled choke, that seems to be a better option.

Thanks

I see Bereatta 3901 rifled barrels on Auction Arms for betweem $150 and $300...
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

I think they must have meant stock barrel chokes, full, modified, and improve. I donít think they meant choke tubes. Are Dupleks steel slugs rifled? Shooting a rifled slug through a rifled barrel is dangerous, smooth barrels are for shooting rifled slugs.

Thanks

Yep, rifled choke tubes. Usually about 3" long. Screws in like a regular choke and makes the shot gun rifled for the last three inches. Allows you to use sabots w/o having to buy a new barrel. I would take a shot past 75 yds with it, but hey....its an option.

http://www.cabelas.com/barrels-choke...enelli-1.shtml

Sometimes, my thoughts get bored and they go for a walk out through my mouth. That rarely ends well.

Thanks

I have a 391 Beretta set up for slugs to and I am using a smooth bore.I can get 3 lead slugs in a 5 inch circle at 80 yards it hurts shooting that thing on a bench let me tell you.As for the copper shot shells I have never tried them on paper yet.I hope they have the same poa since it's like 4 bucks a pop on them but I should at least shoot one on paper and check it .

Thanks

Oh yeah, I know! Sometimes I catch the lead-free slugs on sale and buy a bunch....still though, its $3 per trigger pull.

Thanks

Muzzleloaders cost half that to shoot......
    "The Sharps made the west safe for Winchesters."

Thanks

I got a problem now the Remington cooper solids are not rifled they are not going to group plus I read they are not safe to shoot threw choked shotguns.

Thanks

I have to redirect my whole set up.I am going to use my dads old mossy 500 and go buy a slug barrel for it.I only have 10 dys left in the season so no time to order a rifled barrel for the beretta.
    If we didn't have that non lead ban lead rifled slugs would have worked good in my smooth bore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-it View Post
    I got a problem now the Remington cooper solids are not rifled they are not going to group plus I read they are not safe to shoot threw choked shotguns.
    None of the Saboted rounds are rifled and your right, they won't group well out of a smoothbore. You certainly wouldn't want to shoot a slug out of a full choked shotgun at any time. Best is open or improved cylinder.

The rifled choke is a cheap alternative to a slug barrel, if there's one available for your firearm.

As 410 said, a ML is an option as well.

Thanks

The rifle chokes work so so but I bought a new Mossberg 835 with 2 barrels for $500 out the door. It has a turkey barrel and a rifled barrel. I can tell you that just like every other gun you will not be able to always got pick one brand and expect them to group. I can shoot the federals at 3.5" groups at 100 yards and I can shoot the winchesters in the same gun at 9" @ 100yards. The remingtons are somewhere in the middle. I have spent hundereds of dollars on ammo trying to find the right combo and let me tell you that the bench work for a slug gun it pretty intense on your shoulder and if you use a scope then make sure you have at least 6" of eye relief and a scope that made to handle the abuse of such a gun. I too tried the rifled choke in my rem 1187 and the best I could do was about 5" at 50yards so I strongly recomend spending time on the range because the bead sights on a shotgun barrel are horrible if you are trying to shoot slugs. Think of it as a rifle that you cant adjust the sights on then take that out and try to consistantly hit a plate at 100 yards that doesnt always stand still.

Thanks

Rifled lead slug is no problem for most people.Hunting in the condor range in a shotgun slug area is a pain we don't have many choices in copper slugs and all of them are sabot non rifled.The only brands I have found are barnes and Remington is there any more?

My problem for one is I didn't check a head of time to find out if the copper slugs were rifled .Now I am stuck with a few choices since A zone ends on the 25th.I don't really want to spend 150 on a slug barrel for a mossy I rather wait and save some money for a slug barrel for my beretta so I went with a rifled choke and paid to rush it.
    My friend let's me use his slug sgotgun in the afternoon and he gos out in the morning.

Thanks

My Mossberg 935 rifled barrel shoots the 3" Remington Copper Solids and the Federal with Barnes Expanders equally well. It has open rifle style sights on it. I have a scoped Ithaca with the smooth Deerslayer barrel that shoots the Brenneke rifled slugs well out to 75 yards or so. No condors here, so I'm much more flexible.

The ML will give you more range if you are looking to the future.
    Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

Thanks

I bought a Rifled barrel from http://badgerbarrelsinc.com/ for my Beretta. They had great customer service and fast shipping. the barrel was top notch quality. Better then a stock one IMHO. A couple of guys in here have seen it. Give them a call
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    - Adolf Hitler, 1935

+ Reply to Thread