Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don Geivet is out as hunting manager at Tejon Ranch.

Thanks

Default Don Geivet is out as hunting manager at Tejon Ranch.

I thought this might be the best place to post this. As of Tuesday, August 16th, Don Geivet "retired" from the Tejon Ranch. The next day his personal secretary was "released" from her employment with the Tejon Ranch. I have a few more details as told to me by the secretary's soon-to-be-divorced husband but I'm waiting for confirmation.

A Tejon Ranch department head from their real estate division will be taking over the hunting operation. It is unknown at this time whether any changes will be made to the hunting program. Internal politics have caused these two divisions to be at odds with one another for several years. I hope this does not influence how the hunting program is run on the ranch.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell, English novelist

Thanks

Call me a pessimist but I see changes coming, big changes. And I was going to get the spring permit next year.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

Default Brian Grant

Don Geivet is being replaced by Brian Grant, who has been the Tejon Ranch Director of Commercial and Industrial Real Estate. He was at my Fall Orientation on 8/12 introducing himself and observing the session.

He has a hunting background and had done some guiding in Alaska and elsewhere post-college before landing in his current career. I chatted with him briefly afterward and he was affable, professional and knew quite a bit about the terrain and fauna.

He let the group know he doesn't expect any notable changes for the next couple of years to the program.

Although, any of us following closely know that the Centennial and Tejon Mountain Village developments will most certainly affect sporting activities in one way or another...

Apparently, staff was informed of Don's retirement on 8/11 at a staff meeting. It did indeed come as a surprise to them.

Rob
    oxwood.org

Thanks

One more thing to worry about.
    PAMWE CHETE!

Thanks

I wonder if those allegations from the former guide about the illegal cougar shootings on Tejon have anything to do with this?
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

Bummer for you guys, Tejon sounds like such a cool place to hunt. Hopefully it will work out OK.

"I have a few more details as told to me by the secretary's soon-to-be-divorced husband but I'm waiting for confirmation."

Sounds to me like someone was tresspassing without permission.

Two rules:
    1) Don't get your meat, where you earn your potatoes.

2) 11th Commandment: Thou shall not use thy rod on thy staff.

JMTCW
    Think me not unkind and rude,

That I walk alone through grove and glen.

I go to seek the God of the wood,

And fetch His word to men.

Thanks

When I read this I was thinking exactly the same, Jeff. There might not be enough to warrant a prosecution but there probably is something there. And I would guess two somedbodies knew about it, otherwise it seems a bit too 'coincidental".

Thanks

Anyone that has met either Mike Campo or Jodi Bonas know that we will probably see some improvements. As wonderful a man as Don is I believe he had to spend too much effort protecting his secretaries inadequicies. I dont know about the rest of you but i never spent a lot of time hunting or hanging out with my kids at the headquarters... as long as the key works on the gates and i can actually get a reply to an email when i want to take a guest then i say change is not always bad. its a beutiful piece of property and i seem to find my new favorite area every time im up there...

Thanks

Well, it better not change, at least not soon. I just sold an item I won recently, for $450 (conveniently)....... With the intent on going after my first hog ever in Tejon's December management hunt.

Talked to Jodi (seems like a nice lady) about a month ago, and she sent me the schecule for 2011/2012. Hopefully all still goes to plan.

Speaking of which, any of you guys ever hunt the ranch in December?

Thanks

I have hunted the Ranch every month of the year. I have been a Diamond member for a few years now and i can honestly tell you that the changes will be for the better and not for the worse. it had been a real struggle trying to get communication going when trying to take a client to the ranch. Jodi has been there a while and though she wasnt "allowed" to get involved she knows what she is doing and though there will be a learning curve the customer service will be a lot better. if you have never been to the ranch and need some advice when December rolls around just let me know and i will tell you then where I have been seeing pigs.

its an awesome piece of property any time of year. the pigs can be a little spread out in the winter and based on the weather some of the roads can be blocked by dead falls and wash outs, December is usually a little early for that though. Can i ask why you picked December? the later in the spring you go the easier it is, the pigs get much easier to pattern.

Thanks

I plan on getting the varmint membership in February 2012! I'm hopeful if there are any changes they will be for the better! Didn't at one time a hog tag was included with the varmint membership? I'd like to see that again. What about some kind of discount for Life Membership in the NRA? Hi Tejon staff, what about offering discounts or special hunts to the various varmint calling clubs in the L. A. area?

+ Reply to Thread