Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone ever built a tiny cabin or hunting shack?

raythomas is offline Member Moving Up In The World raythomas
    Thanks

Default Anyone ever built a tiny cabin or hunting shack?

I'm seriously thinking about building a tiny cabin/hunting shack to use during the weekends during hunting season.
    I was sorta leaning toward something like a small weekend getaway place for me and the wife to use when it isn't hunting season.
    Anyone here have any suggestions or ideas or plans?
    I'm a hard working stiff, with 3 kids to put through school, so the cheaper the better.
    I'm not looking for indoor plumbing or even electricity for that matter.
    Just a nice place to get in out of the weather and sleep without the night time critters totting you off.
    Maybe a small camp stove for heat and cooking??
    Thanks
    Ray
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammo

Thanks

Where would you want to build this (State, City, etc)? Also, how remote is it and how is the access to be able to get material there? I am a Carpenter and can definitely point you in the right direction. It would be easiest if you have someone help you who is in construction though. You can PM me if you are serious and I can give you alot of info.
    An Armed Society Makes For A More Civilized Society

raythomas is offline Member Moving Up In The World raythomas
    Thanks

It would be in the state of Mississippi.
    And as far as hauling stuff in, that would probably be limited to a 5x8 trailer being pulled behind my 4x4 four-wheeler.
    There aren't really any roads getting to it, and thats one of the reasons I wanted to build there.
    And I have built houses before, so the construction part is not a problem.
    And I have uncles who are really into the great outdoors, so help won't be a problem either.
    With that being said, I have never built a "log cabin".
    And I use the word "cabin" loosely. It will probably end up being built out of 2x4's with ply exteriors and then covered with some type of weather proof siding.
    But if the right "cabin" plans came along, I might give that a go.
    Thanks
    Ray
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammo

Thanks

Fifty some years ago my mama's daddy bought a few acres below Kings Canyon Park. My daddy built a little two room shack on it, and later added another room. It is now about 440 square feet. Although there was no electricity there, dad went ahead and wired it before putting up the drywall(and now we have electricity). I can't remember much about the construction, as I was too young; but it is a blessing. We now have a well and hot water, though I have still not gotten around to a flush toilet(the old outhouse is just fine).

It was built as a "hunting" cabin, but now it is more of a get-away place for me and my bride. Plus, the grandkids love it!

So go for it; and hopefully after you are long gone your grandchildren will be as thankful as I am.

Life is good.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

Ray, is this up in the mountains or anywhere you you'll need good insulation? You may want to build with SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels) not Just for the insulation but also because of the speed of erection. An "A" frame is probably the most efficient way to build a small shelter. The walls and roof are all the same. It is a strong structure. plus you can add a little loft as the night time sleeping quarters... go to: www.greenwall.us and check out the videos
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

All good advice. Being that is is in an area that will get alot of weather, insulation is important but having a water tight exterior and roof is more important. Since access to water will be minimal, plaster/stucco is out of the picture. It isn't the cheapest, but if you want it to last I would use flat lock galvanized panels on the exterior. You can use any substrate (MDO,HDO,Drywall,SIP, etc.) and just use a good waterproofing, I would recommend a peel & stick product, then throw your panels up. Minimal labor and all you have to cut is your end panels to fit. Ideas are endless, most important thing should be weather tight and durability.
    An Armed Society Makes For A More Civilized Society

Thanks

Back in 1996 we built a hut from old recycled construction materials and we use it quite a lot for weekends away with the kids.

We didn't have any better plans than a bunch of lumber and old tin and some rough drawings made in the dirt before we started. It has a high gable and a sleeping loft to make the most of the heat from the slowburning fire.
    Mick

Thanks

I built a cabin back in '03. The pictures can be viewed from my webshots.com link. from the ground up. A lot of work but very rewarding.

Way Down Deep, I'm Superficial.

http://community.webshots.com/user/bretthmz

+ Reply to Thread