Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: d11 deer zone

Thanks

Cool d11 deer zone

would like to ask if anyone knows good areas to hunt deer in d11 zone.

Thanks

This is the introduction forum. Welcome. You might get more replies by posting some sort of intro.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hunter Gabe View Post
    would like to ask if anyone knows good areas to hunt deer in d11 zone.
    Yes there are lots of guys on here that know good areas to hunt deer in d11, but thats about it. Many guys on here are very helpful, but nobody is going to give away their deer spots.
    Just like all the other posts like this, Get an Angeles National Forest map and get out there and burn gas and boot leather. A mountain bike is good for the roads that are closed to vehicle access

Thanks

PAMWE CHETE!

Thanks

OK I'll bite, what is PAMWE CHETE? I just learned about ROTFLMAO and the acronym site

http://css.sbcma.com/timj/acronyms/

But this is not on it. I need to be enlightened...

Thanks

It is the motto, meaning "all together" of the Rhodesian army Sealous Scouts. I find it a fitting motto for hunters, as we need to all stand together against those who oppose our way of life. Also, from what i have read about the scouts, i have a huge amount of respect for them. And yes, I see the irony between my post and my chosen sig line, but I feel you can stand together with out giving up productive areas.
    Last edited by Dain V; 05-26-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    PAMWE CHETE!

Thanks

Rhodesian Selous Scout's motto

http://selousscouts.tripod.com/pamwe_chete.htm

Google is your friend, Andy!
    Science flies people to the moon...Religion flies people into buildings

Thanks

Gabe you got to do what we all do and thats go to the forest and find the deer thats why they call it Hunting, good luck.

Thanks

Default Gung Ho

Quote Originally Posted by Dain V View Post
    It is the motto, meaning "all together" of the Rhodesian army Sealous Scouts. I find it a fitting motto for hunters, as we need to all stand together against those who oppose our way of life. Also, from what i have read about the scouts, i have a huge amount of respect for them. And yes, I see the irony between my post and my chosen sig line, but I feel you can stand together with out giving up productive areas.
    A little known fact is that "Gung Ho" means "work together, work in Harmony" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gung-ho The marine Raiders used this as their motto and originally the regular marines applied it as a term of derision of the Raiders but after the Raiders performance on Guadalcanal, it was adopted as a compliment and came to mean enthusiastic. Interesting turn about.

Thanks

Exactly, use a bike if need be and hunt the 2-3 year old burns. They're there!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
    Yes there are lots of guys on here that know good areas to hunt deer in d11, but thats about it. Many guys on here are very helpful, but nobody is going to give away their deer spots.
    Just like all the other posts like this, Get an Angeles National Forest map and get out there and burn gas and boot leather. A mountain bike is good for the roads that are closed to vehicle access
    Buck Crazy

Thanks

You gotta lots of time to get on up into D11 and scout for deer trails and deer sign. I have not hunted D11 in over 15 years, but I always preferred the higher country -- which for me meant up around Wrightwood in legal shooting areas. From there I would move downhill to the west, either down the Angeles Crest Hwy, or the road toward Palmdale. There were a lot of campsites going downhill and while scouting I would just park in the area and hike around looking for deer trails, scat, etc.

I also used a mountain bicycle a lot when down a bit lower to scout from the dirt roads closed to vehicle traffic. Come forest fire season, there might be a lot of closed roads, and maybe even total offroad closures to hunters/hikers/campers if the fire danger becomes extreme. At the very least, prepare to have a cold camp if ordered (battery operated lanterns only, no stoves, etc.)

Get out there and have some fun looking around. Make sure you always carry enough water and be very carefull if you venture down into the steep areas of the San Gabriel Canyon areas as you can end up hopelessly stranded on a ledge with no safe way up or down.
    Vintage 1946

Thanks

D11 is a great zone. I've hunted D11 and D14 (1st and 2nd tags) for years. Both are good zones and 30 min from my house puts me in the middle of either one. D11 has some rough country and typically that's where the deer are. So park your truck and get out there and walk the mountains and glass. Then.... glass some more. They are out there.... I've seen a few bucks up there in the last few weeks but I spend EVERY weekend in the mountains with my daughters so I know them like the back of my hand. Lots of cats in those zones too..... FYI.

Good Luck!!!!

Sam

Thanks

Im with BC1, The best time to hunt D11 is the first year or two after it burns. I personally wish that that place would burn once every 5 years. I dont hunt this far up anymore so I will give it to you, but Messenger Flats used to be my spot a few years back.I pulled a deer out of there most years.

Thanks

I grew up in that area and I have to say it has gotten out of control these days, mainly because of the sheer numbers of hunters and ILLEGALs hunting these zones.
    The areas I used to hunt along the edge of the NF where I never saw another hunter has changed and the private spots have gotten loads of press and attention lately which directs attention right at the area which is already the focus of ILLEGALS and poachers.
    Those who want to hunt this zone need to make a plan to access areas with limited road and trail access and is in areas with nasty cover, food and water...
    Looks for burns yes, but so are do the ILLEGALs or masses who are doing the same thing. Get away from the easy stuff and hunt the steep, nasty stuff as most will not go there...
    Stop Global Whining...

Thanks

Here's some sound advice for you regarding D11 (D13,14,15,16). If you do find an area that is very accessable, easy terrain, lots of deer sign, and plenty of food and water, more than likely you're in the wrong spot. That place will be over-run by 20 Toyota pick-ups and 100 hunters on opening day. Go out and find some nasty terrain. Hike your ass off. Go some where nobody would want to go. The place I'm talking about is that area that most guys will say "f**k that", it's way to gnarly and steep. BING...BING...BING....That's a winner. That's where you are going to buck up. I promise I'm telling you the truth. The 5% success rate up there will increase about 25% for each mile you get away from a traveled road. What I'm telling you is that there is no such thing as bad place, as long as your spot is secluded. You see, it's not the deer you're after, it's the location. Deer are everywhere up there. That's not the problem. Finding seclusion is the tough part. Hiking and scouting will solve part of your problem. Studying topo and arial maps will help with the other. Some people say good luck. I don't believe in luck in hunting. Make your own luck by being prepared. Don't "hunt" on opening day. "Harvest" on opeing morning. There's a big difference between the two. Hunters "hope", Harvesters "collect". Know you area, know your weapon, and know your prey... I promise you'll get it done...
    Last edited by Farmerdoug; 06-04-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    http://rockyhillriders.yolasite.com/
    A Sunday school teacher asked, "Johnny, do you think Noah did a lot of fishing when he was on the Ark ?"
    "No," replied Johnny. "How could he, with just two worms."

Thanks

Farmerdoug makes an excellent point about finding the secluded spots. The problem I always had though was that when scouting before the season opened the deer were in the more accessible areas. But on the opening weekend when all the traffic and noise of folks setting camp just prior to the weekend, then the deer would move into the more secluded spots where maybe the browsing menu was a little less delicious. I had that type of experience the first time hunting elk in Colorado. We set up camp Thursday on a ridge at 9,000 feet and about an hour before sunset there was a HUGE herd of elk on the next ridge just 1/2 mile away. But in the wee dark hours Saturday morning we witnessed a never ending parade of headlights going right down the spine of that ridge -- hunting was not easy that opening day!

So in D11 I tried to find the deer in the summer spots and then expand my search further into the secluded areas to find signs of last years deer occupancies.

Keep in mind that once the gunfire starts the deer quickly become much more nocturnal in the easily accessible areas. I had a few frustrating times in D11 years ago when I would hike pretty far in the dark to my spot only to hear them moving in the hours before sunlight and then by legal shooting time they had moved out.

I don't know if the deer in D11 migrate much given that the winters are relatively mild compared to where I am now, so migration may not be a factor there. It's a huge factor here in the Sierras.

Get out a lot and look for them before the season. For me that is most of the fun because I see a lot more animals during daylight then..
    Vintage 1946

Thanks

I wounder how much gun fire plays a roll in spooking deer out of a area verses the sound of trucks and ATVs. My point is wile hunting a spot in X12 last year three deer were taken maybe 4 in a row i was a 1/2 mile away from where the deer were shot, and i thought to myself why would that many bucks hang around after all the shooting going on in that canyon. Weird, there was one good "Seep" in that canyon, maybe thats why.

Thanks

Farmerdoug is 100% right. Almost every hunter who does get a deer in that area will have the same story. The deer that they harvest will either be being shot at by someone, or spooked towards you by someone. In other words, other hunters in the area will have in one way or another contributed to the movement of the animal. Get into a spot way early and let the average "barely getting there at sunrise" hunters do the work for you. Take a high vantage point and prepare for a deer moving through the brush in a hurry.

carhex is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung carhex is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Did you have any luck in d11?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carhex View Post
    Did you have any luck in d11?
    Necrothread -

Thanks

I have been hunting D11 and D13 for 25 years. The previous posts are dead on, you either get way back far off the main road or do what I do, seeing I don't have a 4x4 or ATV, I camp out and do some glassing the night before and I get up early and head for an area that is high and I can watch the heavy brush and some clearings and let the hikers spook them where I think they will go. Then I will gauge hunter pressure if most clear out I will do some hiking my self. Most of the wanna- bes clear out after 10am, that's when I will start walking canyons throwing rocks in the brush to spook them up

carhex is offline Member Allowed To Sit On The 1st Rung carhex is on a distinguished road
    Thanks

Thanks looks like i will be headed towards bear creak

Thanks

From 2011??

Thanks

yes i broght it back to gain intel

Thanks

Good Day Gentlemen,

If may chime in here and share what I know (or think i know) without giving up to much about what I have put together for D-11 for this year. I live in Santa Clarita, so the area north of Santa Clarita from the 5 Freeway to the 14 Freeway is my "backyard." I have spent a lot of time in those hills over the last 15 years. Mountain biking, Motorcycle riding, Hiking, Quail hunting, Deer Scouting/hunting. I know 95% of the roads and trails like the back of my hand. I genuinely love the area. With that being said I will share some of my observations for the 2013 deer season.

1.) Lots of pressure!!!!! Everything west of San Fransiquito Cyn is closed to ALL access as a result of the Powerhouse Fire. Now I do think the closure is a bit excessive, but it is what it is. Effect, there are going to be 50% more hunters in the other 1/3rds of the northern area of D-11 this year. Link to Closure http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5422625.pdf

2.) I have been out scouting and even had a trail camera out to both watch human activity and animal activity. Last week I put my camera near a watering hole and in a 24 hour period my camera observed 5 hunters + me scouting the area. And this was on a Wednesday/Thursday. I am defiantly not going to that area, or if I do I'll be in a overwatch location long before sun up. PM me and I'll send you a youtube link to said footage.

3.) Last year I harvested a Buck on Sunday of opening weekend after going out Saturday to mainly watch the tact, or rather the lack there of, of the hunters on Saturday. I am fairly confident it is going to be a circus opening weekend. But in many areas the animals are somewhat used to mechanized vehicles. There are motorcycles zooming around all the roads every weekend and utility workers driving in some areas almost daily. What the animals are not accustom to, is people coming off the roads and trails into their space.

Ultimately I don't know how I am going to hunt this season. All I know is when I leave the rest of the world behind and I'm in the hills, life is a tad more relaxing. Like they say, "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work."

Best of luck to you all and be safe out there.

Thanks

Default d11 deer zone

Posted a detailed reply and it has not posted yet. Is that normal?

I had clicked reply and a message came up saying my post had to be approved, or something to that effect.
    Last edited by Bubba281; 10-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks

no idea can you PM me?

Thanks

Best place to "Hunt" in D11 is D12, ...or D14, or anywhere besides L.A. County. But if you want to hang out with a bunch of beer drinking poaching, trashy mfers shooting everything that moves, D11 is your spot - Sorry.

Thanks

I'm not in D-11, but I am a California Foothill resident. I can tell you for two years while I hunted turkeys and squirrels, I made note of deer trails and fresh sign, old sign, ect. I saw many deer during both seasons. Nothing can replace time in the area you intend to hunt. Get to know it, go out before dark and before sunset. Let the land teach you.

I know it may sound hokey and funny to some, but I nailed a buck I've chased for weeks the other night, by doing exactly what i typed, and still have to remind myself it is real.

Hunt well my friend,

Tuo.
    Last edited by Tuolumne; 10-17-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks

Whoa double post, website is giving me issues tonight?
    Last edited by Tuolumne; 10-17-2013 at 10:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast