Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Neighbor Stealing water??

Thanks

Default Neighbor Stealing water??

Every night my neighbors sprinklers go on @ 11:55pm and turn off @ midnight. When they turn on I can hear the water running through the pipes under my house! I am going to do some more investigating, but it just seems weird. I am going to turn off the main to my house and see if it kills the neighbors sprinklers.
    The houses are all older in my neighborhood (built in the 40's-50's). They are free standing single family homes. I am renting and the neighbors own their house. My landlord is good friends with the neighbors. They are nice people too, just doesnt seem right.

Thanks

To bad it's not electrical, you could unhook that leg and apply some 220vac justice. Watch their appliances spin real fast for a second and then smoke.

My old g/f's family has a cabin in Sugarloaf in the mtns here that they used for getaways. The dirtbag neighbors that lived there full time kept tapping the cable and I had to cut them loose every trip until the sheriff finally visited them. I wanted to send a Silver Bullet like the cable TV companies used but they would of know who did it. A Silver Bullet was a high current jolt sent down the cable to blow out illegal chips people had to see all the channel back in the olden days. The old 1N48 diode from pin # to pin # trick.

A couple friends own a citrus orchard near here with the little self serve produce stand you see in many citrus towns. The wife told me they kept coming up short every few days about $30. One trail camera install later and they had the answer, a hispanic lady in hospital scrubs and a nice new car was snagging bags of avocados and oranges each time around 6pm. She looks well to do but she's clipping them for $100 a week they figure. I can just hear her now when the PD shows up with the pics, "That's not me".
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

Stealing water is shootable offense here. Well not really, but it has come to that. What is your water meter doing when this is happening?
    Judge Gideon J. Tucker, wrote in a 1866 ruling that "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

Thanks

I have a rental house it's vacant i have been working on it on and off for the last six months. i get a call from the water dept. they say my bill is 350.00 bucks its norm is around 50.00 so i go down to check it out i haven't been there in about three weeks.i find my grass is dead and no leaks im like W T F then i find that all my elc. breakers are gone thats a wired thing to steal but with on power no sprinklers so wheres the water i don't no but my neighbors pools sure look nice.
    ( Trying like hell to live the dream)
    Hoyt carbon element 70#, spot hogg hogg father , spot hogg wiseguy release, 340 grains FMJ, G5 montec 100 grains, ripcord rest

Thanks

Check the meter first. Who knows... the owner may have put in the sprinklers for the neighbor and inadvertantly tied the system into his own supply. If so, you will have to notify the owner in writing and ask for a settlement on the water bill. The meter will tell you how much water is being used each day; which you paid for.
    "The whiskey never lies."
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
    California Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member
    BSA Scouter

Thanks

Several years ago we got a natural gas bill for $350 for one month. Someone had decided to use the pool in the winter when we were absent for a few weeks. Turned on the heater to full blast and didn't turn it off. Pool was about 95 degrees F when we came home. The gas company came out a few days later with the intention of looking for a leak. Told them it wasn't necessary.

The gas line valve to the heater is now locked in the off position with a 8 ga. titanium cable lock a machinist buddy built for me when we are not home for any length of time.

Another time, while we were gone for several days the water company decided to dig out the meter box to raise it up and broke the main line to the house on our side of the meter. Although it was a pretty easy fix and I did it myself, their solution was to leave a notice (ready made form) on the front door that we had a leak and were wasting water. They suggested we call a plumber ASAP.
    --PHOnos

No trees were harmed in the posting of this nonsense, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

" Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Does anybody know the name of a good landscaper? For years now, my sprinklers have been working perfect. All of sudden, last night at 11:55pm, they failed to turn on. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)
    http://rockyhillriders.yolasite.com/
    A Sunday school teacher asked, "Johnny, do you think Noah did a lot of fishing when he was on the Ark ?"
    "No," replied Johnny. "How could he, with just two worms."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerdoug View Post
    Does anybody know the name of a good landscaper? For years now, my sprinklers have been working perfect. All of sudden, last night at 11:55pm, they failed to turn on. Any help would be greatly appreciated:)
    Give DirtyDave's neighbor a call.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

I am old enough to remember when this really was the land of the free. CS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerdoug View Post
    Yeah I'll send you the name of one..... along with my water bill hahaha

Thanks

So Dave what are you going to do? Turn off the main and see if sprinklers go off? Or check on the water meter when the sprinklers kick on? You just have to make sure that there are no appliances on at your house. It may well be that they are not aware of this and will want to do the right thing when presented with the situation. They may also have the owners get rid of you if things go sieways. Your a pretty even keeled king of guy. I know you'll handle it right. I would be nervous though myself. What a tough spot to be in. Good luck brother.
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

Even if he is using your water; he may not be stealing, cause he may not know what is going on. Fifty or sixty years ago plumbing codes weren't really enforced and sometime the builder play a few tricks to save a couple of bucks.
    Society in any state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. T. Paine

Thanks

Yeah I'm not going to go over there with my .45 and start trouble hahaha. I'm just looking into it to figure out what is going on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
    Yeah I'm not going to go over there with my .45 and start trouble hahaha. I'm just looking into it to figure out what is going on.
    You don't have to do that. Just start cleaning all of your guns after work in the garage with the garage door open. Then start yelling out stuff like you have terets... WATER STEALERS! HANGIN OFFENCE! DWP BILL TOO HIGH! BEEDY EYED PIG MAN STEALING WATER!!!!
    TU member
    Sierra Pacific Fly fishers Association
    DU member
    CWA member
    SCVQUWF (santa clarita valley quail upland wildlife federation)

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Thanks

oh and don't forget my personal favorite..."CHARLIE'S ON THE WIRE!"

Really, K-rad? Poor Dave will be in Bellvue while the neighbors are putting in a pool...and filling it at his expense.

Gotta admit, I'm curious what you discover.
    Life's short . . . Hunt hard

Quote Originally Posted by ltdann View Post
    Sometimes, my thoughts get bored and they go for a walk out through my mouth. That rarely ends well.

Thanks

Dave

I have a 1950”s built house and have heard the water running late at night. Once I found a break in the water main before a $300 water bill showed up. When new neighbors moved in and changed the watering times I found that the sound of running water through their main (located right next to mine) traveled up my pipes and was audible in my house. It was a relief to find out because I thought I was going to have to dig out and replace that water main again.

David
    Brown Trout

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Trout View Post
    Dave

I have a 1950”s built house and have heard the water running late at night. Once I found a break in the water main before a $300 water bill showed up. When new neighbors moved in and changed the watering times I found that the sound of running water through their main (located right next to mine) traveled up my pipes and was audible in my house. It was a relief to find out because I thought I was going to have to dig out and replace that water main again.

David
    This is what I think is happening^^
    The Mains are right next to eachother. I went out last night when their sprinklers came on and opened up the cover @ the sidewalk. Their meter showed the water running and mine was not running. I guess it's just because they are right next to eachother, I can hear it resonating through my pipes.

Thanks

At least the mystery is solved.
    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."

Thanks

water district did some work recently in my hood. i was unaffected but while jogging..i noticed a huge hose running down the block. they ran off clear hoses and tied them into each home's outdoor hose bib. they were supplying an entire block of homes by pumping water into their garden hoses. i got curious and talked to them when they were winding up their gear after repairs were done. they said, all you have to do is shut off your main, and run a garden hose from your neighbor into your nearest hose bib. he said water pressure would drop off, but you could rip your vacationing neighbor easy.

Thanks

I remember a fire capt who's dept will remain unnamed who got in deep doo doo over using his engine to fill a few pools. No waiting around for a garden hose with those 3" lines.
    Jeff "Jesse" James - Owner of Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors

You can always tell who's in 2nd place by who's whining and crying the most. - Old hockey coach.

Dum spiramus tuebimur

Advertise on JHO / Fishing Guide/Outfitter reviews / Facebook - JHO / Gear Reviews / Home, Main Page / Hunting Guide/Outfitter Reviews / Links / Photo/Video Gallery / Sponsors / Twitter - Follow JHO / JHO Youtube Channel

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned. When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him... for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -Mark Twain

Thanks

25 or 30 years ago we planted a bunch of trees down Main St. There was no watering system, so for the first summer I would take our only fire engine and water the saplings. After watering all the trees I would go to a fire hydrant and fill the water tank back up. Last time I did that, just as I was pulling up to the hydrant --- BEEP-BEEP-BEEP........STRUCTURE FIRE. I had to tell them I was responding with an empty water tank. Fortunately, it was just a pot of beans someone had left on the stove when they went shopping, and not really a fire. But I've never used the engine to water the trees since!

+ Reply to Thread