Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Socal Falconers???

Thanks

Default Socal Falconers???

im been trying to become a falconer for 3 years i passed the falconry test and i have falconry equipment aswell i also have a hunting license my only set back has been no sponsor.if theres any falconers around Los angeles county orange county or corona area i would love to come watch help and learn anything i can !

Thanks

birdhunter
    Only General and Master falconers are able to sponser. Go onto some of there forums and browse. My daughter and I will become General falconers in October. PM me and I will try and answer any questions you may Have. Do you have a Mew built? What do you want to start with a Kestrel or Red-Tail?
    Mike

Thanks

Also check California Hawking Club website for field meets you could attend. They just had one on Feb 19th and 20th.
    http://www.calhawkingclub.org/

Thanks

sent you a PM

The Universe, Milky Way, Earth, US, CA, IE, Chino, My House
    Thanks

This is for real?? holly shit i cannot believe the stuff im learning about on this website! With all the BS regulations that California has i cant believe that they allow hunting with a falcon. thats crazy. who started this sport in CA anyway?

Thanks

this sport has be going over for many centurys i doubt anyone could tell you who started it in california...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by birdhunter23 View Post
    this sport has be going over for many centurys i doubt anyone could tell you who started it in california...
    yea, like most things. I just cant believe this exist in the US. i just watched a Doc on TV last month about this practice in Asia. 20 years of hunting and all this time i could have done it with with my Parakeet, lol. So i would love to see this in action. I tried looking up vids online but pickins are slim. Does anyone ever video there hunts in CA?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by henmar77 View Post
    This is for real?? holly shit i cannot believe the stuff im learning about on this website! With all the BS regulations that California has i cant believe that they allow hunting with a falcon. thats crazy. who started this sport in CA anyway?
    FYI you cant own and fly a "Falcon" until you become a "Master Falconer" I don,t remember how many years you got to have under your belt until you can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slanttop357 View Post
    FYI you cant own and fly a "Falcon" until you become a "Master Falconer" I don,t remember how many years you got to have under your belt until you can.
    Thats good. i would think that these animal need to much attention and care for a person to just buy a falcon and start hunting with it. Im not really interested in doing this, but i would love to see it in action. this is some medievil stuff. The fact that we even have laws in CA that regulates this practice just blows my mind! How long have you been a falconer? where do you hunt with your bird? Oh, yea, do you get to actually eat what they catch or is it only for the falcon? I ask becuase most of the pics i have seen the bird is eating the prey. I figured this probably has something to do with reward or part of thier training.

Thanks

When i was 18 me and my friend each had a Red Tail i could not pass the test so i had to give it up. I had three years with that hawk i never got to hunt with her though, there should be vids on the net to watch. Hay type in hunting with hawks. there are quite a few.
    Last edited by slanttop357; 08-29-2011 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks

There are plenty of vids on youtube. My favorite is in Mongolia hunting wolves with golden eagles.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
    There are plenty of vids on youtube. My favorite is in Mongolia hunting wolves with golden eagles.
    Not interested in any but cali. I've seen the rest

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    All is for nothing, if not for GOD.....

"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me"

Thanks

i passed the falconry test! in california it was easy i have hawk perches books equipment and yet im not a falconer the hard part is finding someone who will sponsor you! most falconers are very picky about who they apprentice ..and some just dont have the time to teach a apprentice...i tried for your CHC does not help with anything...it was a waste of money to join them! i love hawks and falcons and watching them hunt is amazing...but the state of california falconers are not helpful unless your around in the circle.....just my opinion of over the years i spent trying to find a sponsor!

Thanks

i passed the falconry test! in california it was easy i have hawk perches books equipment and yet im not a falconer the hard part is finding someone who will sponsor you! most falconers are very picky about who they apprentice ..and some just dont have the time to teach a apprentice...i tried for your CHC does not help with anything...it was a waste of money to join them! i love hawks and falcons and watching them hunt is amazing...but the state of california falconers are not helpful unless your around in the circle.....just my opinion of over the years i spent trying to find a sponsor!
    tight click, huh..

Thanks

super tight! lol

Thanks

so if you pass the test can you then purchase the bird or do you have to do the 2 year apprenticeship before you get your bird. Is there no way of going through dfg? That sounds unfair that you have to get someone to teach you what if no one will? DFG should have ways of getting your apprenticeship done. I know lifes not fair but it sounds wrong that your only option is find someone to teach you. Falconers i would think would just say no they are already licensed it doesnt make a difference to them.

Thanks

As far as buying a bird no, you got to go out and catch a wild passage Hawk good luck with that even after you catch him just to break him in you must keep him awake all night, no sleep for the bird that should piss him off, you fall asleep and the next thing you know he has his talons berried in your face LOL . There has got to be someone that will take you under his wing, how the hell do they expect the sport to survive and thrive, wish i knew someone Birdhunter, good luck.

Thanks

Yes. I had a friend as a kid whose dad was a falconer. When you capture a new bird you are married to that bird. No visits with friends, neighbors, wife, no body. You and the bird. Oh and those beaks and talons are for tearing meat, got it? If you whack at the bird you are done.

There is a reason why not many falconers are around. Not many have the time and true interest. It is one thing to fantasize about a bird sitting the fist; quite another to actually get there.

Thanks

Default Re: finding a sponsor

Birdhunter23... Your post was pretty old so I'm not sure if you're still looking for a sponsor, but I recently started volunteering on Saturday mornings a couple of times each month at the Orange County Birds of Prey Center (www.ocbpc.info). They help with rescuing and rehabilitating raptors... Anyhow, you might be able to find a sponsor there since I believe there are 1 or 2 Master Falconers associated with it... not just them, there is also a group of really wonderful people that spend time cleaning up after these messy eaters. it's worth looking into and you can find the volunteer/contact information on their website.

+ Reply to Thread