Sierra Outdoor Supply
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gotta Bear Backstrap Recipe?

Thanks

Default Gotta Bear Backstrap Recipe?

I'm thawing one now but am clueless what to do with it and there are no good recipes for this here...I searched.

What I did find was this rather unnerving warning:

Keep in mind that about 5% of black bears have parasites in their muscle tissue and when these worms are ingested by humans they cause severe, sometimes fatal, illness called trychinosis. Even when not fatal this illness causes permanent damage to heart, kidneys and muscles – essentially renders you disabled for life. Illness starts with flu-like symptoms and muscle pains, later kidney or heart failure might follow. Less severe cases (depending of number of worms ingested and general health of affected person) resolve in about 6 months – THERE IS NO CURE!!!! Convalescents will have for life arthritis-like pains and disability – or permanent kidney/heart damage with all the nasty consequences. THERE IS ONLY ONE SAFE WAY TO COOK BEAR MEAT – COOK IT UNTIL IS FALL-OFF-THE BONE TENDER !! No freezing, no marinating, no smoking would make it safe except long and sufficient cooking. So forget those rare steaks, sausages and anything other than fork-tender meat if you want to live normal life span.

When I cook bear meat, I boil it in broth in pressure cooker until almost tender and marinade for flavor after – and finish my dish until –fall-of-the bone in oven or barbecue. It is always lean, flavorful, never dry and most of all – 100% SAFE!!!!

Kinda bummed me out because I like very rare meat.
    Last edited by Where's Bruce?; 11-20-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

Default Experimental Bear

Well I decided to treat the backstrap just like babyback ribs. Hit it with some extra virgin olive oil and Montreal seasoning, broiled for eight minutes, then placed em in beer and baked for 1 hr at 350. Came out just right and tastes just like my pork ribs. Not gamey or anything. I was careful to trim out 99% of the fat before broiling. Delighted with my 1st attempt but would like recipes for the roasts, ground and stew meat.
    Last edited by Where's Bruce?; 11-20-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000. The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about trich too much. Although you do have to cook it well done you don't have to cook it till it's 'fall off the bone tender' cook it to the same temp as pork. It's the same parasite that's the issue with pork. Just don't jerk it. It can still be a LITTLE bit pink though (same as pork).
    I just marinate the backstraps in wine and seasonings and bbq.
    I've made french dip sandwiches out of the roasts and I love bearrizo (bear chorizzo) out of the ground. Bear gets a bad rap but it's one of my favorite meats!
    I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting is my life...they tell me thats what they mean

Thanks

Default Huh

Bearrizo? Tell me more. I like Mexican food. Do you spice the meat or mix it w/ chorizo?

Thanks

I don't have my computer with me so I can't get you the exact recipie but I just found a good sausage site and they had a recipie for choizzo so I substituted bear for the lean pork and stuffed the casings (you could leave them as patties). I love throwing them on the bbq and eating it with a giant hogie. I'll post the recipie in several days if I remember once I get to my new home.
    I've been told I need a life...I tell them hunting is my life...they tell me thats what they mean

Thanks

Thanks! I have a lot of bear meat to eat and need some ideas. Surprised at the lack of recipes online. Mostly stews and chilis and such.

Thanks

Backstrap best done on grille with little sc or marinade- done medium rare to med- screw the pressure cooker that's for canning

Thanks

Default Hmmm

Everything I have read says treat bear meat just like pork...cuz of parasites and potential diseases such as those noted at the top.

+ Reply to Thread